Does the Companion AI really learn?

BarefootWarrior

There have been some topics regarding companions getting in the way. For me, Lydia was always jumping in my way, and I was either smacking her with my sword or blasting her off a bridge with a shout. In one case, I blew her off a tower in a fight and after the fight, she shows up and yells.."I'm on your side!" . It seems the companions would simply be in the wrong pace at the wrong time.

I have now left Lydia at my house in Whiterun sitting in my bedroom munching on bread. I am now using Vorstag from Markarth. He too did the same thing, for a while. These last few days, he seems to have learned to either stay behind me, or he separates and usually goes off to the left ( or opposite side) side of me, in any case, he now tries to avoid my line of fire. Further, if we get into a long distance fight, he draws his bow the same time I do and we start picking off targets, he usually fires opposite of me, that is, if I'm picking up targets on the right, he picks off targets on the left and vice versa.

I thought it was me at first, but now I know I'm not imagining this, Vorstag, unlike Lydia, he seems to have learned my fight style and tries not to get in my way. Oddly, it's like he has learned how to work as a team. Anyone else notice anything like this with their companions? Just curious. :tongue:

If I am the only one, then there is something really weird going on here. :unsure:

Well I use the companion from honeyside and I work very well with her, without counting the glitches, I play as a cross betwen destruction and axe and shield, so, If I'm casting flames, she fights as a tank, on the other side, If I'm tanking, she normally atacks with the bow, but that doesn't happens always, If I'm fighting something that does a lot of damage (like a bear) she rushes in with her sword and try to lure it, I don't know if it's that the AI changes, but I'm sure that It's all about the options you give them, or maybe is just that Lydia doesn't have a brain hehe.

Now seriously, since Lydia is the early game companion you have to consider that you don't have a lot of gear to share at that time, so all she can do is rush and get in your way. you should try using her again and giving her a bow, maybe the AI acts diferently depending to you, in early game you do only common atacks, now you should have weapons/shouts/poisons/spells etc.

Note: Iona DOES get in front of me when I'm casting, but it's nothing cuz I just move around.

I don't think my companion, Lydia gets any better, more that I know what she does/ is likely to do so I plan accordingly. Now we work as a very effective team, whereas in the beginning she was always in the way and taking a lot of hits from my nukes/shouts.

Now I get a few bow shots in and step back for her to tank while I move to the side and nuke. If a few are incoming I stay in front of her and shout force push, then move out of the way for her to attack. While she tanks one I nuke the others as they get up.

I have also done the disable/enable on her a few times and re-hired her so her stats are comparable with my level. Now she doesn't give up so fast. That and better armour and weapons.

So Lydia (Lydiot) still won't sneak around with the bow when I do, or use it much from a distance and still rushes in like a maniac with her warhammer, but tanks like a champ :)

She can't path to save her life. Lost count of the number of times I have had to "moveto player" her after I've climbed up/down over a steep surface.

Oh, she did kill me once, in the same stupid way that I do to her. I moved between her and the mob at the very moment she let loose from her bow. I died with an arrow to the back of the head, one shotted, lol.

I don't think my companion, Lydia gets any better, more that I know what she does/ is likely to do so I plan accordingly. Now we work as a very effective team, whereas in the beginning she was always in the way and taking a lot of hits from my nukes/shouts.

Now I get a few bow shots in and step back for her to tank while I move to the side and nuke. If a few are incoming I stay in front of her and shout force push, then move out of the way for her to attack. While she tanks one I nuke the others as they get up.

I have also done the disable/enable on her a few times and re-hired her so her stats are comparable with my level. Now she doesn't give up so fast. That and better armour and weapons.

So Lydia (Lydiot) still won't sneak around with the bow when I do, or use it much from a distance and still rushes in like a maniac with her warhammer, but tanks like a champ :)

She can't path to save her life. Lost count of the number of times I have had to "moveto player" her after I've climbed up/down over a steep surface.

Oh, she did kill me once, in the same stupid way that I do to her. I moved between her and the mob at the very moment she let loose from her bow. I died with an arrow to the back of the head, one shotted, lol.

If you take away her warhammer and only give her a bow she will stay back and shoot. I have her with only a bow and we tear enemies apart because if they come to me she shoots them from the side but thats only when they manage to get to us:]

I always prefer a companion as a companion/storage bag then somebody to help me in a fight, they always seem to get in the way and kill the fella before you unleash your mega attack :( Edited by GoodfellowGoodspring