Underpowered Shouts?

Tardivex

I tried psb but I just get a bunch of shouts I can't use :confused:

you need to unlock them with dragonsouls, theres a console command with this too

player.modav dragonsouls 9 ;replace 9 with however many you want and it increases your total souls by that number ( or decreaces if its a negative number )

just so you know unlocking one seems to unlock a bunch of others so give yourself like 3 souls and go from there.

and as a posssible soultion i intend to remake most of the leveling system and might include shouts, tell me what you think and if you have any ideas.

general changes:

-make perks specific to each tree ( why should you be able to unlock a armor or sword perk when you leveled up by casting destruction spells? )

-new way of getting perks, if your destruction or any other magic skill increaces you get a magic point that can only be used for magic, stealth only for stealth , combat only for combat

-progressing in story or quests could award universal points ( this way you get more than some gold as an incentive to complete quests )

-im gonna remake spell creation, i belive this was one of the dumbest things theyve done with the game, whats even more annoying is that the mage npc in the dark brotherhood says somthing about a spell he had made.

-levels become a average of the total skill levels for the 3 groups and i intend to make it possible to have every perk if you max out every skill

shout changes:

-create your own shouts, this will be a method similar to alchemy, each word can have multiple meanings. for example wind might be able to create a gust of wind or speed attacks up

-proficincy with each word, the more you use fus the more power the effects it gives are, and the profincy will determine how many of the meanings you will have access to.

-the ability to upgrade these would be in another section of the skill menu and the damage from each word will scale with your level so a level one dosent get superpowers and somone at max level dosent get weak shouts.

-limit of 3 words per shout and no repetition of the same word ( so you cant say fus fus and blow half the map away )

please tell me what you think of this even if it is a bit unrelated to this thread.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slow Time Shout with all 3 words + Orc Berserker Power is equivalent to the console command "kill". Even Slow Time by itself feels like a cheat. I don't usually use shouts other than Slow Time, Unrelenting Force (push stuff off cliffs, becomes a bit obsolete for living battering rams with the last block perk), Whirlwind Sprint (for faster movement and sometimes against ranged enemies) and Dragonrend though.

Also, I swear if anyone ever says "Fus" to me in real life, I will unconsciously respond "Ro Dah". I think that's a failsafe test to recognize Skyrim addicts. You can even "shout" it into a room, to detect all Skyrim addicts who are not undead or Dwemer machines.

Edited by QDX2000

Unrelenting Force got the most usefull function in the whole game: Makes the damn companion/NPC move from the god damn doorway!

you need to unlock them with dragonsouls, theres a console command with this too

player.modav dragonsouls 9 ;replace 9 with however many you want and it increases your total souls by that number ( or decreaces if its a negative number )

just so you know unlocking one seems to unlock a bunch of others so give yourself like 3 souls and go from there.

and as a posssible soultion i intend to remake most of the leveling system and might include shouts, tell me what you think and if you have any ideas.

general changes:

-make perks specific to each tree ( why should you be able to unlock a armor or sword perk when you leveled up by casting destruction spells? )

-new way of getting perks, if your destruction or any other magic skill increaces you get a magic point that can only be used for magic, stealth only for stealth , combat only for combat

-progressing in story or quests could award universal points ( this way you get more than some gold as an incentive to complete quests )

-im gonna remake spell creation, i belive this was one of the dumbest things theyve done with the game, whats even more annoying is that the mage npc in the dark brotherhood says somthing about a spell he had made.

-levels become a average of the total skill levels for the 3 groups and i intend to make it possible to have every perk if you max out every skill

shout changes:

-create your own shouts, this will be a method similar to alchemy, each word can have multiple meanings. for example wind might be able to create a gust of wind or speed attacks up

-proficincy with each word, the more you use fus the more power the effects it gives are, and the profincy will determine how many of the meanings you will have access to.

-the ability to upgrade these would be in another section of the skill menu and the damage from each word will scale with your level so a level one dosent get superpowers and somone at max level dosent get weak shouts.

-limit of 3 words per shout and no repetition of the same word ( so you cant say fus fus and blow half the map away )

please tell me what you think of this even if it is a bit unrelated to this thread.

I really like the shout creation idea, that'd be pretty cool and you could probably come up with some interesting abilities for it. Spell creation is also great, could be lots of fun with 100% spell cost reduction gear.

Some ideas I've been toying with are perks for shouts, things like increased damage, reduced cooldown, chance for instant cooldown, that kind of stuff. Also being able to exchange dragon souls for perk points or maybe even full levels, it makes sense to be able to get stronger from absorbing the souls of dragons and I'm lugging around more souls than I know what to do with.

Edited by Nephasth

The lore

Mixing the lore, with gameplay, is a big failure. There is no connection. Then we'd be 1-shotting everything with the shouts. Fun, right?

Not quite, it would simply be a fine opening move on one or two enemies and would justify the currently outrageous cooldown timers. Right?

I mean think about it.. you take down one bandit and badly damage another, but this alerts the others in a large area and they come running and you still have a long cooldown timer and just brought down a fury upon your head with three other bandits joining in. Not a huge advantage.

Another question I have (or rather nitpick) is why in the flying hell didn't Bethesda create a skill tree specifically for Shouts? There is so much wasted potential in Shouts right now that I am actually pissed off at Bethesda as awesome as they are this is just poorly implemented. Heck I would be happy if the shouts had level scaling for the character, I mean it seems that Dragons have level scaling in their shouts.

Edited by XxTaLoNxX

general changes:

shout changes:

I have some souls already but the unlock button is grey, there are no words to learn in those new shouts :confused:

shouts are useless in general unless for shouts related quests.

If this game had a class system, shouts could be fun to have if you play a warrior or a thief, but knowing anyone can use magic spells i don t see the point of them.

Edited by lolozori

Some people are blatantly either unimaginative, impatient, or just dense. Most of the shouts are epic, and the ones that aren't have their uses in specific places:

- Frost/Fire Breath/Damage shouts 1 shot weaker enemies and do moderate to weak damage on strong foes. It they killed these foes, then where would your challenge be? Even when a dragon does his breath attack, ever think how many times he needs to do it before he kills you or an npc like a guard?

- Marked for Death: add a few layers of this shout and the enemy will die very quickly i.e. requires tiny bit of patience. Really useful for dragons that have spotted me before i could sneak attack them to death.

- Kyne's peace/fear/aninal allegiance shouts: situational/optional shouts, use them if you shouts. They have their uses in specific points. Ever had a spriggan matron come up to you with two cave bears under it's control? With a bit of patience and strategy you could nullify those cave bears with one shout, or even bring them under your control.

- I think it's pretty obvious how to use the other shouts so not gonna bother mentioning those

Some people are blatantly either unimaginative, impatient, or just dense. Most of the shouts are epic, and the ones that aren't have their uses in specific places:

Oh wow thanks, for your awesomeness. I am blessed for having observed your glorious use of typed language. I am a better person now knowing that I am either unimaginative, impatient, or just dense. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Actually... NO.

The damage shouts are weak and don't scale for crap and are even worse than crap if you play at a higher difficulty than Normal. By the time you are level 25+ the ONLY enemies that are one shots are standard wolves, skeletons, and very weak Draugr. Everything else is just scratched.