ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

[LE] Renovate your House with console

Shawkab

@Sephirona

1- yes, delete that bedroll, it was meant for Jordis, but she never sleeps in it unless you marry her. Deleting it makes her sleep in the bed she should be sleeping in! :whistling:

2-Do what you want in there, just don't go crazy and delete everything. Keep in mind that what you change will only be for that save and any save after it.

3- I think it will still be hostile. The npc will also follow any AI packages attached to it (which could mean it leaves to return to where it's supposed to be), so be careful what you spawn.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow pmg123, you really sized a lot of it up for people. That was great! Gave you kudos!

I've been busy with swtor so haven't been updating my screenshots as I should, but I did add some today. 29 more screenshots of Solitude static items available for your viewing pleasure.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/snapless/screenshots/?

@Sephirona

1- yes, delete that bedroll, it was meant for Jordis, but she never sleeps in it unless you marry her. Deleting it makes her sleep in the bed she should be sleeping in! :whistling:

2-Do what you want in there, just don't go crazy and delete everything. Keep in mind that what you change will only be for that save and any save after it.

3- I think it will still be hostile. The npc will also follow any AI packages attached to it (which could mean it leaves to return to where it's supposed to be), so be careful what you spawn.

Thanks for answering so fast :D

I have Jordis as my housecarl but my hubby is Farkas, so I'm hoping the same applies to him with regards to the bedroll. Heh *_*

I read thewingedshadow's post regarding his experience with manipulating hostile animals into pets: ( http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/477049-renovate-your-house-with-console/page__view__findpost__p__3996121 ) So far it's worked on my snowy sabretooth tiger, he just lounges around and stares at me and seems to like lying down in the bedroll room. I spawned him inside the house and he doesn't seem to try to go outside. I hope he doesn't despawn or try to leave.

Anyways, thanks again C:

Time to carpet the bedroll room ~_~

This has to be one of the best threads I've read in quite some time.

If you are seriously interested in building or modifying a home, I strongly suggest thoroughly reading this whole thread, even if it takes all day.

I've been blown away by the effort put into the homes people are modding and by the wealth of resources posted here.

There are simply not enough hours in a day, or I would compile it all into a guide.

Does anyone know what the expected release date of the creation kit is, by chance?

This has to be one of the best threads I've read in quite some time.

If you are seriously interested in building or modifying a home, I strongly suggest thoroughly reading this whole thread, even if it takes all day.

I've been blown away by the effort put into the homes people are modding and by the wealth of resources posted here.

There are simply not enough hours in a day, or I would compile it all into a guide.

Does anyone know what the expected release date of the creation kit is, by chance?

The last we heard was a tweet from someone saying "Towards the end of the month", which is pretty ambiguous.

Holy crap. Thank you so, so, so much. Now all I have to do is read 60 some odd pages to fill in the blanks. :P

The get/set pos thing I can't quite get down yet, but I'm sure I will with all this info. This is my first time playing on pc as well, after gaming for 23 years... that alone is intimidating. This is ridiculous. Lol. The ck is supposed to be out this month, yes? I might take your advice and just wait for that to start building in an effort to avoid any mishaps.

Ever so glad I could give you something to do. Lol. Again, I can't thank you enough for so much info at once. My day will play much smoother now. ; *

I'm hoping that's not sarcasm. LOL... I can never tell on the internet. Anywho, I have yet another boring day at work so here's some more info to sum up setpos since that was requested:

OK, here's how get/setpos works, as well as tips on a few additional commands. I'm not sure how much people know so I'll start with the very basics (forgive me if I cover stuff people already know). You're working in a 3-dimensional space. In any 3 dimensional space, there's three ways you can move: up/down, left/right, front/back. These are the XYZ coordinates. As I mentioned in my last post, Z is always up/down and Y is often front/back and X is left/right. USUALLY!

If you're starting to learn how to position objects, I would recommend that you start with something you have placed yourself, NOT something that is already existing in the house. This is because some existing objects can get screwed up or not move correctly. If you're dealing with an object that you placed, those will almost always respond correctly.

So for the basics, you can use any of the following to get info on objects once they are placed:

getpos x

getpos y

getpos z

getscale

getangle x

getangle y

getangle z

Learn these well, since you will be typing them A LOT!!!!

Let's say you place a chest somewhere randomly in a room. We will use the basic house chest as an example so click the floor where you want to put it and type placeatme 1D13C. When you press the ` key again to close the console, the object will fade into view. You can then open the console again and click on the chest to select it.

Type getpos x and press enter. Then getpos y and enter and getpos z and enter. This will give you the coordinates of the object within the space you are in. Getscale and getangle show you the scale of the object and any rotations applied to it, respectively. Now if you see that the chest is too low in the ground, it's halfway through the floor, or you want to raise it up to put it on a pedestal or something, you would use setpos z and then a number.

If you getpos z and the z is, say, 100, adding to that number will move the chest up while subtracting will move it down. If you type setpos z 110, that will move it up 10 pixels. If you type setpos z 90, that will move it down 10 pixels. Remember that each object you place is completely independent of any other object. Just because you place a door, it won't always be at the same height or position as the floor you placed it on. This is because (AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!) many of the objects have different a different axis. In other words, just because a doorway is positioned left to right doesn't mean that any door placed in that doorway will be positioned left to right. It might be angled differently, pushed off to the side, or at a different height. This happens a lot so you will need to get used to thinking of each object independently of the other objects. They may all fit together and form what LOOKS like a single entity, but they are separate.

You need to remember that when you use the setpos command, you are not adding or subtracting from a value. You are saying to the game "PUT IT AT THIS COORDINATE". If the position of Z is 100 and you type setpos z -10, that will NOT subtract 10 pixels from the coordinates of Z. It will move the object from 100 Z to -10 Z, essentially moving the object down 110 pixels. It goes from 100 to 0, then from 0 to -10. The x,y,z values are always coordinates, not incriments.

Now back to positioning... you now know how to raise and lower the chest, but what if you want to turn it sideways? For this you would use the setangle z command. First use getangle z to find out what the current angle is. If it says the angle of z is 0 and you want to rotate it 180 degrees, you would then type setangle z 180. If it says the angle is 90 degrees and you want to rotate it 180 degrees, you would type setangle z 270. if you want to angle it diagonally, you would use setangle z 45. Remember from my initial post, though, that using setangle will NOT show that the item is rotated. If you use setangle and the object doesn't move, you need to do something like setpos z 100 to force it to refresh. I only use the coordinates of 100 because that's what the chest was initially placed at. If you have moved it to a Z of 110, you should type setpos z 110 instead so that it stays where you placed it. You MUST do this to update the object after setting the angle or you won't see the change. It's annoying but no way around it.

Anyone who knows basic geometry knows that the right angles are 0/90/180/270 and the diagonals are 45/135/225/315. You can also go over 360 degrees, so if you type setangle z 2000, that will rotate the object 2000 degrees.

You've got the chest placed on the floor and angled the way you want it, but it is most likely in the middle of the floor. This is because all objects have a "center". This is the focal point of the object. If you type setangle x,y, or z, the focal point is the position where the object will rotate FROM. This also the position that any new objects placed upon that object will spawn. Different objects have different center positions but for now we'll stick with the floor. Because the center of the floor is right in the middle, any object you place on that floor will be placed in the exact center of it. If you want to move the chest to a different position, you will need to move it with setpos x and y.

As I mentioned earlier, setpos x and y are for moving horizontally, whereas z is used for vertical movement. First thing to do is type getpos x and getpos y. This will give you the x and y coordinates of the object. Let's say x is 200 and y is -50 (yes, you can use negatives). Now that you have the coordinates, type something like setpos x 210 to move the object +10 pixels in a direction. At this point, we're not sure which way X is so we're testing it. When you press enter, you will see the chest move in a direction. Now you need to decide if it moved in the right direction.

- If it moved the way you want it to, fantastic. Type setpos x 220, then 230, then 240 and just keep increasing the increment until it ends up where you want it.

- If it moved in the opposite direction you wanted it to go, you need to decrease the number so type setpos x 190, then 180, then 170 and keep decreasing it until it ends up where you want it.

- If it moved sideways, perpendicular to the way you wanted it to go, you will need to set it back to its original position by typing setpos x 200. Then you know that you need to adjust the Y coordinates so start by typing setpos y -40 to move it 10 pixels one way. Again, if this is the right way, type setpos y -30, then -20, etc. until it is placed correctly. Or you can do setpos y -60, -70, -80, etc. to move it in the opposite direction.

As I mentioned before, this is where TCL comes in VERY handy because you can clip through walls and look at objects from the back to see their position. So the chest is backed against the wall, but what's this?!?!?! You notice that it's too big? This is where setscale comes in handy. Setscale is a command all its own. It makes stuff bigger or smaller. A scale of 1 is the default size of the object. If you type setscale .9, it decreases the size by 10%. I covered this in my last post, so please reference those instructions.

Now the chest should be where you want it, at the angle you want it, and at the size you want it. Again, something to remember is that the activator (Open Chest) will still be where you originally placed the object. If you go to the chest after moving it, you most likely won't be able to open it because you won't get the Open Chest option. This can be fixed by saving/reloading to reset the activator for Open Chest directly over the chest again instead of where the chest was originally spawned.

ADDITIONAL TIPS:

- If you select an item and try to delete it (markfordelete), it may not delete immediately. If you placed the item yourself (using placeatme or player.placeatme) it will usually delete the moment you markfordelete it. If the item is existing (part of the original house) and you markfordelete it, it won't disappear immediately. If you click on it again, you will notice that it has a [D] at the end of it. This means the item has been marked for deletion and will be removed the next time you exit/enter or save/reload.

- I mentioned earlier that you can use negatives. This also applies to angles. For example, if an object is at angle Z 0 and you want to move it diagonally, you can use setangle z 45. If you want to move it 45 degrees in the opposite direction, you can type setangle z -45 and that will move it back to its original Z angle of 0 and then decrease it by 45 degrees. This is helpful if you don't want to figure out what 360-45 is.

- In the beginning, I would recommend that you don't play around with diagonal rooms. Stick with 0/90/180/270 degrees until you're familiar with the basics.

- Remember that objects like doors, chests, etc. that have moving parts may clip when activated. If you place an object, I highly recommend that you activate it to open/use it so that you can see what it looks like. It may completely clip with another object and need to be repositioned. If an item has more than one position or state (open/closed/etc) then you need to test out all available positions/states to make sure that the object looks right in your world. Otherwise you will get an ugly world where doors disappear into walls and people fall through floors because stuff isn't connected right.

- When moving x,y,z coordinates around, if you have a long way to go, I would recommend starting with 100 pixels. Then as you get closer, increase/decrease position by 10 pixels at a time. Then go by 1 or 2 pixels. Don't do too much at one time or you'll end up moving something out to the middle of nowhere and probably lose track of it.

- When using the TCL command, it makes EVERYTHING have no weight/substance. This is important because if you place a moveable object (like a potion, a bucket, a basket, an ingot, a sword or piece of armor, etc.) it will stay exactly where you put it, unaffected by gravity. However, when you turn TCL off and save/reload, those objects will again have gravity and will fall down. So if you place a hundred swords in midair using TCL and then turn TCL off, save and reload, all of those swords will then fall to the floor. They will not stay where you place them. So if you're placing something that's not a static item, remember to toggle TCL and save/reload to ensure that whatever you put down will stay where you put it.

---

OK, that's all for now. I don't know if these are actually helpful to people so if they are, please let me know and I can write more. I have a very boring job. :P

If people don't find them useful, I don't want to take up space on the board. Let me know what you guys think.

Amazingness

Thanks SO much for that. I had a rough idea about positioning but it's great to actually see a guide for it - it would be great to have individual guides linked on the first page, imo. :D Just for clarification with regards to poorly-fitted items and the void of doom - when an element isn't properly placed next to another and has, say, a pixel's worth of space that makes it possible for objects and people to fall through, can you always see the void using TCL and the like? How would you be able to tell it's off? Sorry if it's a vague question, I haven't actually tried placing yet cause I want to make sure I'm clear on everything first to avoid mishaps ^^;

Just checking in on this thread again. I've used this as a guide for all three of my characters now, improving Breezehome twice and Honeyside once.

Has anyone yet had any problems with spawned containers respawning their "original" contents? What I've been doing when I spawn a container is this:

1. make size, pos, angle adjustments.

2. disable/enable to fix the position/angle

3. removeallitems to remove whatever was already there

4. player.setownership

I've not had any problems yet, but it occurs to me that it is very rare for my player to be away from home for more than a few days. I worry that at some point I'll stay away for too long and all the containers might respawn.

Anyone have any definitive information (not speculation) on this?