Unsure where to post

Ovennamedheats

Hi, I'm not sure if this can be done with a console command, an ini tweak, or a mod but is there a way to increase your hearing perception? Can hear conversations further away and get subtitles. For example, whenever a new topic pops up in the upper corner of the screen like "new topic:prophet" I'm always curious what the conversation is that I can't seem to hear but the game can.

Another idea, is there a mod that exists where there are little identifiers that pop up around certain landmarks like the various statues and such?

Edited by Ovennamedheats

Here's a couple of mods you might be interested in that can add a lot of atmosphere to your game. The second one's actually an update and expansion based on the first one and is meant to replace it. This is from Cliffworm's description in the original one, Oblivifall - Something Is Not Right by Cliffworms:

"This module adds informative messages that pop up at the top left of your screen when you get closer to a dungeon. These messages can inform you that your character has a vague feel of unease, notices goblin tracks, feels watched, smells a putrid odor, etc."

Oblivifall - Something is Definately Not Right by Pinkertonius greatly expands and improves the original.

As for just hearing conversations and other sounds more clearly: for me, not having the soundtrack music playing hugely enhances my appreciation of all the game's sounds -- actors, creatures, ambient sounds. I first found this out when playing through Linux and not being able to have the music at all. Now I tend to keep the music off even when I'm playing in Windows, since I do hear so much more that I always missed before. One thing about it I especially like is that I don't have that "battle music" starting up every time some mud crab on the far side of a boulder across a river perceives me... And when there is real danger, it isn't announced with a fanfare but comes out of the blue as a pure (and immersive!) surprise -- and it definitely helps to have been keeping your ears open!

Just a thought -- because I know going musicless is not everyone's cup of tea!

Right on, I'll check them out. I just think it would be cool to have like supersonic hearing and have the subtitles come on for conversations that you can hear but cant understand that are just a stones throw away. I do the same with the music too sometimes. I like feeling like I have really acute hearing. I think it would be cool to if there was a way when reading the books to click on a link and it could take you to more information about the thing. Like if you're reading I dunno The real Barenziah, you could click on Barenziah and a little blurb would pop up telling you about it or even just link to a wiki but then I guess you could always just keep a separate screen open.

Alt + Tab + Oblivion = less stable game.

Have as little possible running on your gaming machine while playing Oblivion. Back when my laptop was still working I'd often had it running beside my gaming machine for stuff like that (Wiki checking etc). I guess I could use my tablet (laptop died), but I usually don't think of it (navigating on it isn't my favourite thing ... obviously I'm an old guy who doesn't have a smart phone in hand at all times and a thumb ready to do the flicking).