Difficult Game?

cantgobacknow

I made a custom Paladin class (Strength, Personality, skills: Armourer, Blade, Block, Heavy Armour, Speechcraft, Restoration, Athletics). I'm now level 12.

Am I doing something terribly wrong, or can this game be frustratingly hard at times?

For example, I just decided to explore the Quickwater Cave north of Cheydinhall. Near the very beginning of the cave I'm accosted by two creatures that look like Shambling Moulds (http://cdn3.leadfigures.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/OtherworldWE11ShamblingMound.jpg). I manage to lose one, and battle the other for a good 5 minutes (bringing it only to about 95% health!).

Previously I went into an Oblivion Gate I also found near Cheydinhall. And although I was able to clear it, I had to stop and rest after just about every enemy.

I'm using the full set of Blades armour, the Akaviri Katana, and a couple of magic items.

Is every encounter in this game supposed to be an epic encounter?

It almost seems the game is designed to be played assuming the characters will read meta-game information in advance (ie: reading forums, cheats, etc).

Note: I'd sooner not use the command console to heal myself, kill enemies, or otherwise gain any advantage.

Edited by cantgobacknow

There are too many variables in the game to give specific advice but here's a few tips to make the game more playable, use any or all of these.

Lower the difficulty setting in options.

Always carry health potions.

Learn to cast the highest healing spell you can manage.

The Katana is a good weapon but not one of the best. I use an enchanted Deadric dagger.

Some enemies are invulnerable to normal weapons so carry a silver or enchanted weapon.

Get a companion.

Vilja is an excellent unique companion. Chatty and her own quests and later a pet wolf.

Neeshka is more standard companion if you want a quiet life.

I use both at the same time and you can often leave them to do the fighting and carry the majority of "loot", so less trips back to town.

Are you playing with some mods that alter the leveled lists? Quickwater Cave shouldn't have anything other than regular leveled monsters otherwise. Trolls can be tough, but they all have a weakness to fire.

I checked the difficulty. The slider is set to exactly the middle. I assume this is default?

Is every battle meant to be an epic challenge? Some fights are easy, but many dungeons seems quite hard. As mentioned the Quickwater Cave lead me to a 10 - 15 minute battle in which I could only get the enemy (troll?) down to abut 95% health. This seems a bit extreme doesn't it?

Note: I always keep my gear repaired.

For trolls, get as powerful an on target fire spell you can afford (gold and magicka wise). There are also certain 'humps' you need to overcome in the leveling system, especially if you've been neglecting to level the skills that will come in handy fighting the new monsters or bandits/marauders wearing the next level armor. If I recall correctly I think around level 15 is one, but it may be lower.

The Brush With Death trolls are tough to kill without the turpentine. If you want to tangle with some really tough ones go to Veyond. The Azhklan Trolls are the toughest trolls you'll find after you've reached level 11 (the Kalperklan Troll found at Tidewater Cave is the same toughness, but there's only one of them, so you won't get swarmed). Wait until you start running into Will-o-the-Wisps. When they started appearing in my game the first time I had one alternative ... run (and hopefully find a Legion rider, so I could go back to the dungeon while he did the dirty work). Now that I know the tricks for fighting them they're a non-issue. Every step change in leveling presents challenges to overcome ... it's part of what makes the game fun.

If you can't get a Troll below 95% hp you are doing something seriously wrong. I cannot tell exacly what, though. Fire is good vs Trolls, but you shouldn't need to use it - my Paladin completed the "A brush with death"-quest rather easily without using any turpentine at all. And I play at 60% difficulty.

Are you using power attacks? Are you using a shield and blocking? Note that it is often better to avoid enemy attacks. Wait for the monster to charge a big attack, move out of the way, then go in and hit it a few times. Rinse and repeat.

How high is your Endurance and your HP? You will want to raise Endurance every level until 100, especially as a melee character.

Must I use Fire Spells to do well in the game? I'd sooner not use anything but Restoration, in keeping with my notion of what a Paladin is and is not.

My Paladin had Heavy Armor, Blade, Block, Armor, Destruction, Restoration and Alteration. You could easily configure some Destruction skills to resemble Paladin skills, for instance I used an area effect, damage over time fire spell that I named "Consecration". :) Alteration has many good spells that increase your armor, but it should be noted that Restoration really isn't that good. The healing spells are very mana inefficient. Alchemy is a very good skill and easy to level, make yourself some healing potions!