ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Gonna upgrade GPU. do CPU also?

Mookeylama

gonna upgrade my gtx 670 4gb Superclocked, to a new gtx 1080 gpu. and trying to decide if a cpu upgrade would be worth it also. i now have a i7 3770k. i haven't kept up on cpus. would the newer ones out now give me much of a boost in skyrim (really only concerned w/ skyrim atm)? i know skyrim is a cpu intensive game

i'd love to save the dough and stick w/ the 3770k but i recall that overclocking that cpu gave me a bigger boost in skyrim than oc'ing my 670gpu did

so anyone see significant skyrim performance after getting a newer cpu?

In few games you will see higher fps in choke points.

The answer: It will depend on how many cpu intensive mods you're planning to use (higher shadow distance, more detailed lods, higher poly models, more scripts running in the background, more npcs in the same cell, increasing uGrid to 7). Old Skyrim engine loves high clock rates on cpu and ram. With high grade air cooler you can get up to 4.6ghz on each clock with models like 4790k, 6700k.

I would wait with the cpu upgrade for now. New generation is not too far away and swapping cpu will require motherboard upgrade. The cost might be not easily justified when you already have decent cpu. If you're dead set on getting something new, look for Black Friday deals (preferably cpu+mobo+ddr4 combo) later this year.

Skyrim Remastered based on 64 bit engine (October release) will work much better with quad core CPUs. A lot of steamers will post their gameplay videos and you will be able to compare their rigs performance to yours.

PS: Did you invest in SSD already? It makes huge impact on loading times and reduces lag spikes on loading uGrids.

Edited by BlackRoseOfThorns

My 3570k still kicks butt. my 3570k has my 970 running at max capacity.

I wouldnt bother upgrading cpu....marginal performance increase isnt enough to justify the cost. (unless money is no object)

Buy the GPU and enjoy it. Your 3770k will do just fine.

Edited by twiztedmongoloid

The answer: It will depend on how many cpu intensive mods you're planning to use (higher shadow distance, more detailed lods, higher poly models, more scripts running in the background, more npcs in the same cell, increasing uGrid to 7). Old Skyrim engine loves high clock rates on cpu and ram. With high grade air cooler you can get up to 4.6ghz on each clock with models like 4790k, 6700k.

I would wait with the cpu upgrade for now. New generation is not too far away and swapping cpu will require motherboard upgrade. The cost might be not easily justified when you already have decent cpu. If you're dead set on getting something new, look for Black Friday deals (preferably cpu+mobo+ddr4 combo) later this year.

Skyrim Remastered based on 64 bit engine (October release) will work much better with quad core CPUs. A lot of steamers will post their gameplay videos and you will be able to compare their rigs performance to yours.

PS: Did you invest in SSD already? It makes huge impact on loading times and reduces lag spikes on loading uGrids.

thanks all!

curious tho...i'm not tech savvy so why would i need to get a motherboard if i upgrade my cpu? i have a Z77 Sabertooth now. so if i want to upgrade to cpu 4970 or 6700 i have to buy a mobo too?!

thanks all!

curious tho...i'm not tech savvy so why would i need to get a motherboard if i upgrade my cpu? i have a Z77 Sabertooth now. so if i want to upgrade to cpu 4970 or 6700 i have to buy a mobo too?!

Yes the chipset is completely different... we are at Z170 now and the Skylake desktop processors won't even fit in your mother board with LGA 1155, the new ones are LGA 1151.

thanks all!

The cpu socket on motherboards differs. When browsing CPUs on Newegg or other site you will notice that name tags include numbers like LGA 2011-v3, LGA 1150, LGA 1151 (Intel processors), AM3+ (AMD processors). Your z77 has LGA 1155. Besides that new types of motherboards are designed for new DDR4 memory sticks and that's one more thing that you would have to replace, if you go with i7 6xxx series in the future. That's why it's good to plan ahead and invest in mobo+cpu+ddr that will serve you well for at least 3-4 years.

well hell. whata ripoff. u'd think since the mobo is like the foundation everything else is built on, that they'd standardize it. but then where's their cash grab at lol.

oh well, was planning on getting new ram anyway so i guess i'll budget in the mobo too

well hell. whata ripoff. u'd think since the mobo is like the foundation everything else is built on, that they'd standardize it. but then where's their cash grab at lol.

oh well, was planning on getting new ram anyway so i guess i'll budget in the mobo too

Not really. It's like pondering why a truck wheel doesn't fit your racing car.

Each generation has new physical architecture. It has a lot to do with manufacturing process available at current time. They are trying to fit more within the same dimension, while decreasing size each few years and improving thermals. To achieve that at low production price companies experiment with different layouts on the chip. Same goes for graphics cards, but they can get away with slotting into standard PCIE 3 slot that has a cap on the data transfer. Older motherboards with PCIE 2 has to be replaced too, when you want to use graphic card powerful enough to get bottlenecked by it.

There is much more to it when you take into consideration all new hardware and firmware options for motherboards, but it's a topic for another day.