No Fallut 4 INI File

Valykry

Every time I run NMM and load Fallout 4 (In NMM, not launching the game itself) it tells me that there is no Fallout 4 INI file and to run fallout 4 to initialize the file before installing any mods or turning on Archive Invalidation.

It's re-installation is recent, but I have ran it. Started a new game and went as far as leaving the house and heading to the vault.

Any ideas what the issue may be?

You say "its re-installation is recent" but what are you talking about? NMM or your game, or even the .ini file?

If you've re-installed either the game or NMM, then the paths aren't the same as they were before and NMM can no longer find where the game is situated and/or is looking in the wrong place...

[update]

I decided to see if I could locate the INI file myself, and couldn't locate it.

Just in the off chance that i'm an idiot, I looked here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4

Same folder as Fallout4.exe and Fallout4Launcher.exe, but found no INI file, or any other file labeled with "Fallout" in the name.

Also, I read somewhere that the steam version works a bit differently than not-steam versions since a certain update.

Could that have something to do with it?

Edited by Valykry

There should be two configuration files in the Fallout 4 directory - "Fallout4_Default" in the main folder, and "Fallout4Prefs" in the "Fallout4" folder. These files are used by the game as references when generating your actual config files, and those are located in Documents\My Games\Fallout 4. If those two reference files aren't in your directory, something went wrong with the installation and you need to reinstall again.

As far as non-Steam versions of Fallout 4, the only version that does not use Steam is the pirated version, which I hope for your sake you aren't using because it's against the rules here (for very obvious reasons) and I'm pretty sure it's grounds for a ban.

...()...As far as non-Steam versions of Fallout 4, the only version that does not use Steam is the pirated version...()...

There's also GoG... so hold your horses amigo...

Fallout 4 isn't offered on GoG, it's exclusively a Steamworks game on PC. You might want to double check before you try to contradict someone next time.

Also, note that I'm not making any accusation here, I'm just referring to his question of whether that could be a factor - the answer being that it could only be a factor if he's using a pirated copy.

Edited by Tukster

...()...As far as non-Steam versions of Fallout 4, the only version that does not use Steam is the pirated version...()...

There's also GoG... so hold your horses amigo...

Fallout 4 isn't offered on GoG, it's exclusively a Steamworks game on PC. You might want to double check before you try to contradict someone next time.

Also, note that I'm not making any accusation here, I'm just referring to his question of whether that could be a factor - the answer being that it could only be a factor if he's using a pirated copy.

Then stop scaring people with the mention of banning...

You know what the sole difference is between a so-called pirated version and the real deal? The .exe. That's all. Just like when you use Bilago's .exe or the F4SE .exe. Neither of those use Steam to launch the game...