My problem with heavy armor.

TobyTravis

I kinda don't care honestly, an example is something funny I found on 9gag, it was like: "Spends 7 hours creating the face of your character" *puts on helmet* "FUUUUUUUUUUU"

I hope you get what I mean, the armor is all exagerated and stuff and I'd prefer something more realistic, like a stronger and better looking steel armor or something, BUT, I don't know about you but I play first person like 90% of the time and heavy armor gives a lot of defense so I don't really care about looks, I want the stats and also who said heavy armor perks are pointless is obviously retarded, seriously, Juggernaut on 5/5 grants double protection, theres a perk wich reflects damage and some others wich grants you even more protection by wearing full heavy armor and/or armor of the same kind (full steel for example), so Daedra's armor is much stronger, and also, there are some other great perks like, your armor weights absolutely NOTHING when your wearing it, and also, you can run like if you were wearing nothing, so it consumes much less stamina, and theres also the silenced heavy armor, wich helps on sneaking, soooo... yeah...

Like the OP the higher levels of armour in skyrim turn me off. That's why I stopped crafting once I got my Ebony set (plan on using it till the end of the game). Then I switched the standard armour for Boethiah's Ebony Mail and everything was perfect.

I think the Nord + fur setup is growing on me... Might just try it out once to see how it feels like during a straight-up fight. I suppose the fur armour fits the lore too, since most people in-game refer to you as a traveller or adventurer, and not a career soldier or (Talos forbid) a Daedra of some sort.

Dwemer armour is nice too, what with the scowl on the helmet and the raised bumps (rivets?) all over the place. Dwemer boots look a little goofy though, but it could be just me. Good old steel plate armour ranks pretty high on my list too.

In terms of heavy armour, yeah the Steel Plate and Ebony are great. I like the rough utilitarianism of iron banded armour. I like the steel armour too, distinctive without being silly. The Imperial armour is good, but who doesn't like the various fantasy copies of the lorica segmentata? Dwarven makes you look like a robot, don't like that much. Orcish is....fantasy but not to a completely offensive extent. Skirts the line nicely between aesthetics and not laughing hysterically at how it could never work.

The light armours definitely look way better in general for me, though some of them are "lolwut" in terms of appearance to effectiveness. Light armour is really weird though, because some of them are....well, they're clearly some form of full plate armour. Like Elven Gilded Armour. And Dragonscale. Both of which are awesome. Glass edges into silly territory, but heck, it's not anywhere near as bad as daedric.

In terms of sheer aesthetic appeal, to hell with anything else, I just sling the Saviors Hide on a female character. ;)

And note about the 'why would nords/vikings use light armor' the truth is, they would use no armor if history would serve to influence the game. Shields sure, but the clothing would be light, fur(warm) based, because they are sailors, and live in cold climates, armor is pointless.

What on Earth are you going on about. They were the best heavy infantry of their era and utterly reknowned to the extent the Byzantine Empire set up the Emperors guards as a completely unchanged viking/Norman/Saxon heavy infantry force recruited only from those cultures. These professional soldiers, like the Huscarls, were heavily armoured death machines.

Normans and Saxons were not vikings, not even close. Normans were basically northern Franks, while Saxons originated in inland Germany. Vikings were, by definition, natives of modern day Norway and Sweden, with a small overlap into Finland and Denmark. They had were almost exclusively coastal (eliminating the Saxons), and tended to wear furs/leather with a spattering of chainmail as they could afford it. Mainly those wearing chainmail were wealthier nobility-types, as best you can call them nobles for being such poor land, most of the viking wealth came from trading and raiding. As mentioned above, the preference was warm light armor, mainly furs/leathers for those who were regular part of raiding parties, with a possibility of chainmail tucked away when they know they are going to be fighting on land.

Edit: /Norweigan descent able to trace genealogy back to King Haakon I, so this topic is of major interest to me IRL

I just made a post about this in the mod forum, about changing the armor system to make the armors not a system of tiers where Dwarven is strictly better than Steel, and Daedric is strictly better than everything Instead each armor type would have its own traits and advantages. Retexturing the appearance of the armor would certainly be nice, an armor mod could let you toggle whether you want the more 'low-key' armor design.

Like the OP the higher levels of armour in skyrim turn me off. That's why I stopped crafting once I got my Ebony set (plan on using it till the end of the game). Then I switched the standard armour for Boethiah's Ebony Mail and everything was perfect.

I think the Nord + fur setup is growing on me... Might just try it out once to see how it feels like during a straight-up fight. I suppose the fur armour fits the lore too, since most people in-game refer to you as a traveller or adventurer, and not a career soldier or (Talos forbid) a Daedra of some sort.

Dwemer armour is nice too, what with the scowl on the helmet and the raised bumps (rivets?) all over the place. Dwemer boots look a little goofy though, but it could be just me. Good old steel plate armour ranks pretty high on my list too.

I like the Dwemer boots myself, my orc warrior had a full steel set with the exception of the boots, which were dwemer, and it looked fantastic.

Anyone else feel this way?

Nope...

This is what i like...:

http://img.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/tdomf/72030/chaos1.jpg

http://www.ohio.edu/people/jt772903/Chaosmarine.jpg

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/245/c/5/lon_shadowknight_defender_by_dcwj-d2xw1v8.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/warhammeronline/images/8/89/Chosen_concept_art.jpg

http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/home/images/behindthescenes/Chaos_01.jpg

Those are real heavy armors, the ones we got in the game right now?, are for pussy's...

Those are the kind of heavy's we need!!!

Edited by Chaosrex