Creature creation with 3dsmax (need help please)

3AMt

So everytime I edit some creatures shape in 3dsmax the bone weights get messed up.

I need to get them back. I have read I can use the skin modifieres to "rip" them back from other meshes within seconds, but noone really telling how to do so.

The skin modifier is allways empty. So what should I do? I've searched the hole internet, but there isn't any usefull information about it. If anyone knows how to do it please tell me.

Otherwise I won't be able getting more dismemberment into the game.

Unbenanntsfd.jpg

Edited by 3AMt

Creature skins can be a bit of a b&@*$. This is no way a full tutorial, but maybe it'll help.

Import the creature without skin modifiers or skeleton, and do your adjustments. If you've done it already, delete the BSdismember and skin modifiers.

Then import the base creature with skin modifiers and skeleton (make sure the skeleton.nif is in the same folder). Make sure the modified mesh is centred on the original creature by doing Alt+A.

Then Add a skin wrap modifier to ur edited mesh, in the parameters box add the original creature to rip the skin weights off of it.
Make sure to select face deformation (under deformation engine) not vertex deformation, blend to base mesh, and weight all points, then Convert to Skin. Now u can delete the skin wrap. Apply a BSDismember modifier to the creature, select all vertexes (should be highlighted in red), then select "Skyrim, Main Body".

After that, you'll have to dig into the generated skin > envelops and check on the skin weights and whether everything checks out.
Here's where it gets a little tricky. You need to either export the creature and test it out in CK to see if it animates right, or alternatively what i do is import a KF animation belonging to the creature. You need to convert vanilla hkx anims to kf and then import them into max to animate the creature and test it out.

Here's a tut on how to convert the anims by bergzore.

If you go by this route, and once you have the animations ready, Ctrl+A to select everything in the scene (minus original creature), then Alt+Right and select "Set Skin Pose". This will make sure that after u import ur animation, you can reset the rig to a T-Pose in case you need to apply edits to the skin.

Here's a video tutorial on how to change skin weights as well. Armors and creatures work under the same concept.

Hope this helps.

Apply a BSDismember modifier to the creature, select all vertexes (should be highlighted in red), then select "Skyrim, Main Body".

I can't do that. When I follow your steps I end up stuck in modifier mode.

Edited by 3AMt

Select all vertexes in the BsDismember modifier, not the editable poly. Whenever ur done editing a modifier, click on the modifier itself to exit edit mode. It's wonky, but once u select everything, just click once on the modifier name in the tab itself, and it'll get saved.