Random CTD, Need Help Determining the Cause, Please!

Lex3x

Alrighty... So I recently modded my FO4 and everything's been great, unfortunately I've been having a semi-rare CTD issue, usually within settlements and/or while in the building menu. I figure it's probably something I overlooked while installing all of them but I just can't figure out what the issue is. Hoping someone here can help me out. I'm almost certain it's one of those things where I skimmed over something important or failed to read something properly but... who knows.

Description of the CTD:

Random CTD (crash to desktop) 2-3 times just wandering around in Sanctuary- I haven't even build anything there yet. Twice while in build mode in Hangman's Alley- once in the actual area and once inside one of the basement bunkers from Basement Living mod. (I was receiving crashes before I installed this mod- FYI.)

It may also be worth noting that my load order was fixed up by using the latest version of LOOT.

My System Specs:

Windows 10, MSI GT72S Dominator Pro
Intel® Core i7-6820HK CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.70GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M
16.0GB RAM
1TB Harddrive
My Versions:
All mods are updated to their most recent version, as is the game itself and all of the DLC's. Verify Cache reveals no problems and Fallout4.ini and Fallout4prefs.ini are edited appropriately, I believe...? I followed the guides for how to enable mods and all that, and all mods appear to be working as intended... which is making this CTD very difficult to track down...

My Load Order:

-Fallout4.esm

-DLCRobot.esm
-DLCworkshop01.esm
-DLCCoast.esm
-DLCworkshop02.esm
-DLCworkshop03.esm
-Snap'n Build.esm
-SettlementKeywords.esm
-Homemaker.esm
-ArmorKeywords.esm
-TrueStormsFO4.esm
-ConcealedArmor.esm
-keyNuker.esp
-More Where That Came From Diamond City.esp
-Homemaker - Streetlights use Passive Power.esp
-Homemaker - Unlocked Institute Objects.esp
-SkjAlert_All_DLC.esp
-SuperMutantOverhaul.esp
-BetterSettlers.esp
-BetterSettlersNoLollygagging.esp
-CBBE.esp
-UniquePlayer.esp
-OCDecorator.esp
-Homemaker - Streetlights Use Passive Power SKE.esp
-Homemaker - Unlocked Institute Objects SKE.esp
-KSHairdos.esp
-AzarPonytailHairstyles.esp
-ScrapDeadThings.esp
-LongerPowerLines3x.esp
-NoNegativeAffinity.esp
-NoAffinityCooldown.esp
-TrueStormsFO4-FarHarbor.esp
-TrueStormsFO4-FarHarborExtraRads.esp
-BetterGenerators.esp
-BrighterSettlementLights_ExtraBrightv1.1.esp
-BetterShackBridges.esp
-DD_Bobblehead_stands.esp
-Power Conduits and Pylons - Increased Radius.esp
-BetterJunkFences.esp
-DD_All_the_COncrete.esp
-WoodenPrefabsExtended.esp
-OCD FarHarborDLC.esp
-OCDispenser.esp
-LegendaryModification.esp
-LegendaryModification2LM.esp
-LegendaryModification2LMConcealed.esp
-LegendarModificationMisc.esp
-LovingCait.esp
-Companion Infinite Ammo.esp
-CompanionsGoHome_A.esp
-Higher Female Protagonist Voice - Type C.esp
-Higher Female Protagonist Voice - Type C - DLC1-Automatron.esp
-Quieter Settlements - Vanilla.esp
-Quieter Settlements - Wasteland Workshop.esp
-Quiter Settlements - Contraptions.esp
-Eli_ArmourCollection.esp
-Eli_Apocalypse Attire.esp
-DX Commonwealth Shorts.esp
-DX Vault Girl Shorts.esp
-ConcealedArmor.esp
-Armorsmith Extended.esp
-Armorsmith Automatron.esp
-Armorsmith Far Harbor.esp
-LooksMenu.esp
-LooksMenu Customization Compendium.esp
-DarkerNights.esp
-DarkerNightsDetection.esp
-SettlersRename.esp
-TroublemakerOutfit.esp
-DynamicInteriorFogRemoval.esp
-BasementLiving.esp

Ultimately, I feel it may have something to do with Homemaker or my load order... or maybe I just overlooked a patch somewhere or something? I'm really not sure. My CPU and memory while running the game are all MORE than okay, not even close to half capacity according to the monitor I have, so I don't think it's a memory issue. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? It's a tough nut to crack...

(...or maybe it's exceedingly simple and I'm just an idiot. >.>)

Edited by LexiRexi

Still receiving crashes. This time while wandering the commonwealth and another just now when I was VATS targeting a robot enemy from automatron. CTD as soon as I hit e to fire it off. Getting really frustrating. Anybody have any ideas? I'm at a loss.

Unfortunately the way to try to find out what is causing a CTD can be time consuming and involves numerous loads of you game.

Keep in mind that while mod conflicts can (and do) contribute to CTD's, Bugthesda games like to CTD by default because it's cute and fun... or something...

First thing to do: Make sure everything is up to date - game, patches, mods, etc.

Second thing to do: Run LOOT to see if the load order needs a change. If there's any change done by LOOT, apply and test it out for a bit.

CTD still happens? Then here comes the boring part:

You can get a good idea about which mod (or mods) may be having problems by loading them into xEdit and checking out if there are any conflicts that could potentially end up in a CTD. Therefore:

1 - Check out the mods in xEdit

2 - Load the game without the mods that seem to be problematic and check for CTD.

3 - Load the disabled mods one by one and test for CTD's until you find the culprit.

If you're not familiar with xEdit, there's a way to check out mods but it's very time consuming:

1 - Disable all mods and load your game (make a new save if needed). Test it out for a while.

2 - Load the mods one by one and test the game with each one to see if it's one of the mods creating the CTD's.

I hope this helps.

Edited by euph

I kind of figured it would come to that. I had hopes that something in my load order would be identified by somebody more knowledgeable on the matter than I am. Unfortunately, the amount of mods that I have and the amount of time (anywhere from 1-3 hours usually) of gameplay means that I'd be playing games without mods for quite some time before I figured out if it was working again or not. I guess I'm just going to have to toy around with xEdit and see if it's something I can figure out or... well. Deal with the CTD's. Thank you for your response though. It's better than nothing- and I don't mean that in an insulting way. lol

I kind of figured it would come to that. I had hopes that something in my load order would be identified by somebody more knowledgeable on the matter than I am. Unfortunately, the amount of mods that I have and the amount of time (anywhere from 1-3 hours usually) of gameplay means that I'd be playing games without mods for quite some time before I figured out if it was working again or not. I guess I'm just going to have to toy around with xEdit and see if it's something I can figure out or... well. Deal with the CTD's. Thank you for your response though. It's better than nothing- and I don't mean that in an insulting way. lol

I did look at your load order and from the ones you listed, the mods that I've heard about causing some CTD here and there are the looks menu and unique player.

Disable both of them and then run LOOT to check the load order. Load your game and test it without those 2 for a bit (make a new save if needed) and then see how it goes with one on and one off, alternate which one you activate and test again. Remember to run LOOT when you activate/deactivate the mod.

Other than that... check if True Storms if having some beef with other mods or if better settlers is trying to punch supermutant overhaul in the face. Also, try moving scrap dead things to the last place at the bottom of the load order.

Most of your mods are just "fluff" and are things that kept updated, shouldn't really be conflicting with each other but... we all know how it goes... :confused:

Edited by euph

Thank you Euph. :) I'll give all that a shot. May be a while before I get back here to inform anyone that it works, since my CTD's tend to happen a few hours into the game but I'll be sure to give the results here when I'm able to finish testing. Again, much appreciated for the suggestions. I will definitely look into it!

• 3 years later...