Porting an existing full heavily modded Skyrim install to a new Win 10 rig?

jspee1965

Hey gang!

I just bought a new gaming rig that will be running Win 10. I have a heavily modded Skyrim install on my current Win 7 rig which I am hoping to "copy over" to the new machine, with data, save games and mod files intact. Can somebody please spell out the steps involved to do this successfully? I have a 5TB external drive that I intend to use in the transferring process.

Perhaps there is a website out there that details this kind of thing? I have been playing this "play through" for nearly a year now and I don't want to screw something up!

Thanks!!

EDIT: I use Wrye bash, TESVEdit, NMM, and ASIS so I am going to have to find a home for everything using the WIN 10 folder structure!

Unfortunately the OEM (CyberpowerPC) won't provide a driver disk for a Win 7 install given the high end hardware. So I'm stuck with 10. LOL

Take your operating system Hard drive (From your old system) and Dual Boot Hardware is Hardware and it is not that complex to find the other drivers.

Edited by Reynard131

If NMM profile sharing is working it should be easy to do, with just MyDocuments.MyGames.Skyrim requiring a manual coping.

Or just install everything then overwrite with win7 stuff, not including Secret or Hidden Folder stuff of course.

Then launch everything while praying Gods Of Skyrim that Registry Keys re-register correctly.

Has to the Home Folder make it has close to the Root Drive has Possible and NOT in a Windows Folder to avoid Admin Stuff.

And while your at it, if you have MORE than one hard drive, Install Steam In Program Files, then Steam Game Folder On The Other Drive as close to Root of the Drive has possible and NOT in a Windows Folder, since if it worth doing, it worth doing Right.

NOTE: If you have ONE HARD DRIVE, install Steam NOT in windows Folder & has Close To...........

Cheeers

Lol who the hell said modding is fun?

You heavy pack will probably not work on Win10 if you have a lot of texture mods (2k and 4K). The VRAM for DX9 games like Skyrim in Win10 is limited at 4064MB.

Anyway modding is fun or why would people do it?

Edited by Project579

You heavy pack will probably not work on Win10 if you have a lot of texture mods (2k and 4K). The VRAM for DX9 games like Skyrim in Win10 is limited at 4064MB.

Doesn't the 64 bit version of Skyrim remove the 4GB block? That comes out in a few weeks anyways...

Unfortunately the OEM (CyberpowerPC) won't provide a driver disk for a Win 7 install given the high end hardware. So I'm stuck with 10. LOL

Take your operating system Hard drive (From your old system) and Dual Boot Hardware is Hardware and it is not that complex to find the other drivers.

Can I just remove the existing HDD that is shipping with the laptop (that will have Win 10 on it) and throw in my existing HDD with Win 7 on it into the new machine, and expect everything to work normally?? I mean perhaps some drivers won't work or are missing but is the methodology sound? It's just that I am paying for all the cutting edge HDD tech and if I simply transplant my old drives into the new laptop it's a waste of money..

I have two drives, a C and a D (which is where I install all my gaming stuff). The C drive is only for the OS and some other stuff.

My Ratio Skyrim to Creation Kit is 1 : 3

:happy: :happy: :happy:

I go back Morrowind & yes I love It.

I still have original Morrowind Construction Set CD

:ohmy:

Can I just remove the existing HDD that is shipping with the laptop (that will have Win 10 on it) and throw in my existing HDD with Win 7 on it into the new machine, and expect everything to work normally?? I mean perhaps some drivers won't work or are missing but is the methodology sound? It's just that I am paying for all the cutting edge HDD tech and if I simply transplant my old drives into the new laptop it's a waste of money..

I have two drives, a C and a D (which is where I install all my gaming stuff). The C drive is only for the OS and some other stuff.

"Can I just remove the existing HDD that is shipping with the laptop (that will have Win 10 on it) and throw in my existing HDD with Win 7 on it into the new machine, and expect everything to work normally?? I mean perhaps some drivers won't work or are missing but is the methodology sound? It's just that I am paying for all the cutting edge HDD tech and if I simply transplant my old drives into the new laptop it's a waste of money.."

Laptop hard drives, are laptop hard drives they are limited by platter size, and typically are lucky if they are transferring @ 55 mbs.

Unless you are you using an SSD they basically all perform roughly the same generation to generation.

There is nothing stopping you from loading your old operating system on the new hardware. I have taken laptop hard drives and used them in a pinch on a desktop unit.

"I have two drives, a C and a D (which is where I install all my gaming stuff). The C drive is only for the OS and some other stuff."

This is one physical drive, that has been partitioned into a primary boot, and a recovery partition.

The reason that I am suggesting this is that you have a lot of time, into a play thru and if you want continuity this is the way to achieve it.