Does modding benefit the gamer or the developer?

OnlyOneWing

Both I think, the player gets to expand the game thus increasing its life, they also end up with a better game because its tailored to suit them. The developers get ideas and more sales down the line when the PC tech to run the game becomes more accessible and people buy the game purely because of mods. Look at Morrowind, it's nearly 10 years old and is still selling on Steam for around the £15 mark.

Both players and game developers/publishers definitely benefit from mods and the modding community. As jim_uk says of Morrowind I'll also go a step further and say of one of my favorite old games, Classic Doom. On Steam each installment of the game is still priced at $10 USD and I'd be willing to wager that one of the main reasons it still sells at all after nearly 20 years is that there exists a database of literally thousands of free custom mods for it. Bethesda's three most recent Elder Scrolls games will live on virtually forever and continue to sell copies largely due to mods and I have no doubt that Bethesda knows it.