Using Blender on skyrim nif?

leot486

So I was hoping to download blender and use it to make my own weapon. Only problem is 1, I don't know where to download blender. (I typed blender in google and guess what I got...a blender!) 2, what scripts will I have to download to open the nifs, and is it even out yet?

Also I will probably be attempting to modify the blades katana to make this thing, so can I use FOMM extractor to get the meshes out of the bsa? I heard that it wasn't working from some people, so just wondering.

And just in case I decide to build this sword from scratch, any advice or video tutorials? this will be the first mesh I ever make, so I was hoping someone could help me out. I think you can assume the weapon will be katana based, and I will need to make a texture for it. I have gimp and some knowledge on how it works but a guide on how to make a texture from scratch would be much appreciated. Thank you everyone :)

I just downloaded blender 2.60. I don't know if the version makes a difference. But I also downloaded the nif script that had an exe file, when it tried to install it said that blender wasn't there. Does it matter what version I have? or do I need to download PyFFI and python first?