Will this steam workshop type thing affect nexus?

bcooper56

Ok... not sure how you are siding with the companies when all you did was (kinda) back up what I was saying.

I read your post as though you were trying to prove they were being slightly malicious. My response was an attempt to show that if it was a malicious attempt to get more control/money, then every other company that has ever done something like that (Forgotten Realms, Mattel, Apple, Microsoft, Oil Industries), is also malicious.

Nexus isn't a centralised mod distribution anything. It is one of many such unofficial fan run websites. What I describe has nothing to do with the nexus. And what has the nexus's TOS have anything to do with the Workshops, go read both again and tell me where the bit about you signing over the rights so that the nexus can sell your work if it so desired.. :confused:

My point wasn't trying to make a -direct- correlation between the two. You have to look at the branches of them: Control- Workshop... is obvious how they would/do control content placed through them. Nexus- moderator and user controlled. eXcalibur (FO3, FNV bullet mod) is a good example of this (yes, I know what happend in the long run; wouldnt have been an issue if not for the initial reasoning behind his mod(s) being brought to light). If something is placed by, say, me... and I don't give full credit to the originator of, say, a remapping of the Elven Armor that I used in my mod, then my work gets removed (if proper editing isn't done in a timely manner). To everyone here, that is an understandable reaction; including myself.

Thats the control relation I was trying to show.

Money- Workshop, again, is pretty obvious. Only with them... they are pretty direct about it. Nexus- No money needed. You're correct. However, if you would like choice spots, no ads, better servers, larger file sizes, multiple upload/download capabilities, then you need to donate (read as: pay for it).

As far as rights are concerned, you are -again- correct. The Nexus does not actually own the mods. However, they act on behalf of the originator, by way of enforcement, ipso facto, owning the mod. I am not, by any stretch, saying you are completley wrong. I am just trying to show that at the moment, we are all contributing to the exact thing a lot of people here hate. Only with us, we are doing our best to hide it. The workshop just puts it into simple words.

I'll be honest: I am also a little upset at the possibility of modding becoming 'mainstream'. I get it. On the flip side, lets take my wife as an example: She has absolutely no modding experience whatsoever. She enjoys playing them, after I do my best to make them work the way they were designed. Now, with the workshop, she can enjoy all the mods that people put/will put, so much effort into. If I were the creator of a mod, I would find absolute joy in knowing that someone like her was able to fully enjoy my work. If that means she has to pay $2.99 to do so (even if that means $2.89 is a processing fee) and can only get my mod (because I willingly placed it there to begin with) through the Workshop... then hey... :thumbsup:

I am tired. Again, I apologize if all I did was confuse or 'stoke a fire'. It was in my head, and I had to get it out. Hooray for the internet :teehee:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok... not sure how you are siding with the companies when all you did was (kinda) back up what I was saying.

I read your post as though you were trying to prove they were being slightly malicious. My response was an attempt to show that if it was a malicious attempt to get more control/money, then every other company that has ever done something like that (Forgotten Realms, Mattel, Apple, Microsoft, Oil Industries), is also malicious.

If by malicious means: ultimately trying to get mods on the xbox, and listening to their financial advisers, then yes.

My point wasn't trying to make a -direct- correlation between the two. You have to look at the branches of them: Control- Workshop... is obvious how they would/do control content placed through them. Nexus- moderator and user controlled. eXcalibur (FO3, FNV bullet mod) is a good example of this (yes, I know what happend in the long run; wouldnt have been an issue if not for the initial reasoning behind his mod(s) being brought to light). If something is placed by, say, me... and I don't give full credit to the originator of, say, a remapping of the Elven Armor that I used in my mod, then my work gets removed (if proper editing isn't done in a timely manner). To everyone here, that is an understandable reaction; including myself.

Thats the control relation I was trying to show.

Not sure of the relevance or the comparison being meaningful. At the end of the day you'll just have your steam account closed if you do anything naughty there. I guess that is similar to here.. cept on that site you actually risk your games being taken away, it's pretty tight enforcement strat.

Money- Workshop, again, is pretty obvious. Only with them... they are pretty direct about it. Nexus- No money needed. You're correct. However, if you would like choice spots, no ads, better servers, larger file sizes, multiple upload/download capabilities, then you need to donate (read as: pay for it).

As far as rights are concerned, you are -again- correct. The Nexus does not actually own the mods. However, they act on behalf of the originator, by way of enforcement, ipso facto, owning the mod. I am not, by any stretch, saying you are completley wrong. I am just trying to show that at the moment, we are all contributing to the exact thing a lot of people here hate. Only with us, we are doing our best to hide it. The workshop just puts it into simple words.

How did you get to the nexus by way enforcing it's own TOS means it is owning my mods... When it is the TOS that states they don't own the mods, but the rights are retained by the uploader/author. I can just take them down right now on a whim.

I am tired. Again, I apologize if all I did was confuse or 'stoke a fire'. It was in my head, and I had to get it out. Hooray for the internet :teehee:

I am tired too actually, modding epic s*** and all. but yeah some confusion on my part for sure. I'm going to get flamed either way.

It seems to me that your quite intelligent but you seem a bit paranoid. If you take the proper precautions and if you have some know how none of the possible issues from steam will bother you.

Really?

is that why so many people have downloaded the 1.2 patch when they specifically set steam to not automatically update?

Steam auto reverts back to taht option every single time it restarts and you can't go to offline mode without first going to online mode

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

I think it's pretty far fetched with all this start charging for mods and what not. Charging for downloads on consoles is great, I hate them (consoles that is). :P

However things change in the future, for better or worse. And when things change a lot of people will speculate in it being evil or malicious. There are hidden agendas and what not.

Some of thoes people just don't like change in itself no matter if it's for better or worse.

But we forget something, if they would start charging for mods and what not. Someone somewhere will create and distribute a modified CK and people will go on modding underground and upload their mods on some underground site.

Things will change for better or worse, but there will always be people who eliminate that problem and in the process also making it for free. (read: pirate it because they are too greedy to pay for stuff)

I do hope it's monitored. No more disgusting anime, nude and every other mod that breaks immersion.

Here we go! what kind of artistic freedom do you expect when Publishers would start listening to people like you? Anime and nude mods are disgusting? says who? in which "natural law" Sir is this an irrevocable fact of life? People are born nude and anime is a form of Art for centuries.

I have no problem with you expressing your opinion but please make sure that it is obvious that it is your opinion.

Back to topic!

nothing good came when things that were in the hands of Internetusers were taken over by Corporations. Logic dictates that this will be the same in this case.

I will not, i repeat, NOT install another piece of Software to be able to download "regulated" Mods (if that should be the case).

P.S. not to be only negative thinking. Creation Kit release date in January is of course good news.

Edited by Arcadiast

I do hope it's monitored. No more disgusting anime, nude and every other mod that breaks immersion.

Here we go! what kind of artistic freedom do you expect when Publishers would start listening to people like you? Anime and nude mods are disgusting? says who? in which "natural law" Sir is this an irrevocable fact of life? People are born nude and anime is a form of Art for centuries.

I have no problem with you expressing your opinion but please make sure that it is obvious that it is your opinion.

My goodness, you're right!

These totally add an artistic flair to the game.

http://www.tesnexus.com/imageshare/images/1307935-1322807109.jpg

http://static.tesnexus.com/downloads/images/41158-1-1322587946.jpg

I've read most of the comments, and I'm not going to reply to them specifically, so what I may say may go against your theory/idea/whatever but I'm just tossing in my 2 septim. Steam is crap. Those who love the idea fail to see some very serious flaws, maybe because they haven't experienced them, maybe because they're in love with the idea of a centralized distributor of whatever games they enjoy. In my experience Steam has:

- Removed data before downloading a patch to replace it (which disabled me from being able to play the game) - even though automatic updates was turned off

- Removed language files when I changed my language (forced nearly 2Gb of downloading for the new files) but did not make copies so that when I changed back to my preference it could easily replace files where needed - I had to re-download the language data (see all the languages in my app "Alchemy Assistant" -- it was a PITA)

- On many large items that I've downloaded the speed has been equivalent to that of dial-up speeds from 15 years ago thus causing a much longer delay in being able to do what I wanted to do

- Deleted a game that I purchased years ago for whatever unknown reason (as far as I know, Steam has nothing to do with this game anyway)

- Kept me from playing a game because the Steam login-server was "busy"...... for two hours

I'm sure there have been other times where Steam's failure has caused me to be irritated, but those are the ones that are the freshest in my memory. The simple fact is, Steam can't touch the Nexus sites just as Curse and the others can't. It's been around far too long, and has built a good reputation with the modders as well as the users of those mods. All of my Skyrim mods will be Nexus-exclusives (I will block Steam's uploader if I have to, that' what firewalls are for).

Based on the above list, I have many doubts that Steam can handle the mods for Skyrim. One such doubt is, will it be able to handle load order? I'm not sure about others, but any tool that I use specifically for downloading mods should be able to handle that. Doubts aside, I do see this going the way Curse did with their "Curse Client", where you can pay for a "premium" account that allows you to download multiple mods at the same time instead of one at a time, but I don't see them charging for a specific mod as we're accustomed to getting mods for free and the first time they try to charge someone for a mod they'd high-tail it back to Nexus. Steam may not do this initially, just as Curse didn't, but with time I can see this happening because of the increased cost of bandwidth (every time Skyrim is updated many mods will have to be updated, thus causing their download servers to reach levels that they're not intended for - as proven in the dial-up speeds we currently see on occasion).

TLDR;

Nexus isn't going away. Steam already has a lot of catching up to do, not just on the number of mods available either.

That's my 2 septim.