Altering Mods with CS

Hanker109

Hi! Everyone

I installed Battlehorn Castle Enhanced and found 2 floating pedestals on the second floor. Since the Mod Creator doesn't want to do anything more with this mod, I decided to give it a try with the CS. First, I loaded Oblivion.esm, DLC Battlerhorn Castle, and last Battlerhorn Castle Enhance without activating them. Using the "F" key, I snapped the pedestals to the ground. I saved it as "BattlehornPatch". The patch automatically ended in the Data Folder. I then acitvated the patch with WB. I entered the Castle and found there was no change. I tried several Loading Orders but none worked. Is it possible for someone to tell me what am I doing wrong, please. Thanks for whaterver help given. Hanker109

Hi friend,

the problem is that he file work as stand-alones. You have to change Battlehorn castle to a masterfile. I do it with wyrn bash. Right-Click on your patch in wyrn bash and go to "add masterfile" and then add "Battelhorn Castle esp". You have to do it again, if you change anything in your patch, cause this isn't permanent.

Have fun :thumbsup:

Harvald

Hi friend,

the problem is that he file work as stand-alones. You have to change Battlehorn castle to a masterfile. I do it with wyrn bash. Right-Click on your patch in wyrn bash and go to "add masterfile" and then add "Battelhorn Castle esp". You have to do it again, if you change anything in your patch, cause this isn't permanent.

Harvald

Quite right, but there is an easier way: Have a look at Construction Set Extender, among other goodies it removes the need for ESMifying ESPs. Makes working with the CS much better :)

Hi friend,

Harvald

Thanks Harvald, can you tell me if I can do this without making a patch? I mean, loading the esp, make the changes, save and then follow your instructions? I notice that several mods have errors like this. Some errors even crashes the game, for instance, there is a fort that as soon as I cross a visible line on the floor the game crashes.

Hi friend,

If you are modding the basic esp there is no problem. You have not to add any file as masterfile. I make a Backup of the esp-file before modding, because "s*** happens". Modding the Basic esp will work in every case. Just set the file to mod to active, mod in CS and on we go. Problems could only happen, if you are adding contend from an other esp and not vanilla, for example a piece of clothing, acaracter with foreign race or furniture. Here you have to make a copy of the item by altering the ID-name and use the copy. For races or hairstyles you make a copy and use it.

Crashes in the case you describe are mostly effected by a trigger with a not compiled script or obse is used but not installed. What fort you are talking about?

Have fun and happy modding :thumbsup:

Harvald

Edited by Harvald

Hi friend,

If you are modding the basic esp there is no problem. You have not to add any file as masterfile. I make a Backup of the esp-file before modding, because "s*** happens". Modding the Basic esp will work in every case. Just set the file to mod to active, mod in CS and on we go. Problems could only happen, if you are adding contend from an other esp and not vanilla, for example a piece of clothing, acaracter with foreign race or furniture. Here you have to make a copy of the item by altering the ID-name and use the copy. For races or hairstyles you make a copy and use it.

Crashes in the case you describe are mostly effected by a trigger with a not compiled script or obse is used but not installed. What fort you are talking about?

Have fun and happy modding :thumbsup:

Harvald

Hello again Harvald:

I followed your instructions on the built patch. I clicked on the esp and clicked on "Add Masterfile", this action sent me to the Oblivion\Data Folder. I chose the Battlehorn.esp. Ran BOSS, the bashed patch the whole thing. Went back to the Castle finding the still floating pedestals. I know I'm doing something wrong somewhere but can't pinpoint it. Please be patient with me, I'm trying to learn how to fix things. I don't know if this is relevant but the pedestals belong to the Battlehorn Castle Enhanced.esp and not to the Battlehorn Castle.esp, does that make a difference? Maybe you can clear this for me, do I need to activate Battlehorn.esp and Battlehor Enhanced.esp at the same time or only on the one I'm working on? The forts I'm talking about are ImpeReal, version: 2.61. The only one with that problem is the one next to the Brina Crossing. Best Regards

Another thing to keep in mind Hanker, is that some game state things are saved in the save file. I don't think your pedestals fall into this category, but I know that load door locations are saved to the save. Try going to your edited pedestals with a new character, just to check if they are still floating.

- Edit - I also recall reading somewhere that it's not a good idea to load a save where your character is in the same cell as you're editing when you're checking your changes.

Edited by Striker879

Another thing to keep in mind Hanker, is that some game state things are saved in the save file. I don't think your pedestals fall into this category, but I know that load door locations are saved to the save. Try going to your edited pedestals with a new character, just to check if they are still floating.

- Edit - I also recall reading somewhere that it's not a good idea to load a save where your character is in the same cell as you're editing when you're checking your changes.

Hi guys!

Striker, I follow your suggestion and started a new game with a different character. Next, I altered the Battlehorn Enhance.esp again, saved it and, using WB, reinstalled the esp and patched it. Went to the Castle and there were those pedestal flying as always. I didn't know it was so darn difficult to do simple fixes. There must be a way. Is it possible to find instructions on the site or somewhere else on how to alter mods? Thanks and best regards.

What you're wanting to do is a bit complicated from the start, in as far as you are altering something that was developed on another person's machine, that had their mods installed and used their way of doing things (i.e. did they 'F drop' the pedestals to the floor, use X, Y and Z coordinates to locate them or just manually lower them). I would imagine that they used some method of de-isolation with DLCBattlehornCastle.esp, but which method did they use?

When you're editing Battlehorn Enhanced.esp are you loading DLCBattlehornCastle.esp as a master after giving it an 'Esmify' with Wrye Bash?