Vampirism, Not Cannibalism...

TheSuey

~The Vampires of Skyrim~  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion?

• I disagree - Vampires in Skyrim are perfect as they are.
    • Vampires in Skyrim are fine.
    • I agree - Vampires in Skyrim are depraved creatures.
    • I strongly agree - A mod should be made to revamp them.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the overwhelming response in favour of some form of change to Vampires I am definitely going to look and see what I can do when the CK comes out. But I believe this is a thread that could be linked in the mod request section. :happy: Edited by TheSuey

I'd like to point out that, straight through to the gothic era in Romania, the source of the majrity of modern campire myths, Vampires were stll barely more than predators. They were blamed for almost every half eaten corpse that was found in the woods, whether human or animal (The others were usually blamed on Werewolves). Consumption of flesh was very much part of their report until they were 'romanticised' as devils living amongst society.

Also, in TES, there seem to be two different types of Vampires anyway. The Morrowind Vampires, and the rest of them. Morrowind Vampries are decended from, supposedly, Molag Bal and Vivec, and share the same house based organization as the Dunmer, grouping into clans based on bloodline.

Other vampires i can't for the life of me remember their source, but seem to break into two categories. Controled, and feral. The count of Skingrad fits into the former. Everyone else seems to be the latter. Like Werewolves, it doesn't seem like many are able to suppress their animal sides, though the PC's are always stronger than the average peasent, so we don't lose control.

As for the powers, i haven't become a Vampire yet, so i don't know the strengths or limitations. Being a Werewolf, on the other hand, doesn't seem to add anything anyway. "Oh, awesome, i'm immune to disease and can transform into a too-fragile wolf form once a day. Awesome". Based on what i've read, i think they both suck, which i probably supposed to act as a deterant to being either unless you REALLY want to.

Everytime someone writes about vampires, the mythology changes a bit. Buffyverse vampires have adverse reactions to holy symbols, Blade vamps don't like garlic, Bloodrayne can't enter running water, and so on. I think the only thing we can all agree on, vampires DON'T sparkle. ;-)

In Skyrim, it seems that Bethesda have made vampires and werewolves a sort of role-play choice, rather than a viable character build.

As for the dead and mangled corpses, a couple of reasons come to mind;

-Feral Vampires that have no real self-control or restraint when it comes to feeding.

-Necromancer Vampires that use body parts in rituals and spells.

-A recently taken over dungeon/cave/fort where the vampires simply destroyed the occupying force.

-The elusive Were-vampire. ;-)

Edited by BrknSoul

I don't agree, I see Vampires differently than you, I see them the way they were before Twilight ruined them, I see them as brutal creatures who kidnap people to feed on them, wich torture them, kinda like the Dracula's stories that he had his Castle and all that stuff, not "noblistic and romantic ideals" that is not vampirism at all, that is nonsence if you ask me, Vampires are evil, they kill, they torture, they rape, they do all sorts of crazy stuff like that, thats how I see vampires, and thats how vampires were in the books I've read, before the fu****g Twilight nonsence Edited by Tardivex

I did a little research on vampires for a story once.

The vampire myth is no t quite universal. Some cultures have nothing like it.

Of those that do, they are quite a bit different from one culture/country to another.

Most of the Vampire stories in the US (and I believe GB also) are derived from the Bram Stoker Dracula novel (which as someone already said was derived mostly from an earlier work.)

In some cultures, the vampire is a feral creature who does eat human flesh and tears his victims apart.

In others, a vampire is a discrete individual with a perversion that involved drinking blood in an attempt to prolong their life.

In various cultures they are - or are not susceptible to sunlight, garlic or silver weapons. They may, or may not be able to cross running or any water. They may, or may not be immortal. They are, or are not stronger, quicker or have other supernatural powers such as changing into a wolf, bat, cat or other creature. They may or may not be able to fly, turn into a mist and seep into a room or have mind control ability. They might even be able to lead a normal life most of the time with no one - including their close family even knowing they are a vampire.

One culture says that a vampire cannot enter a house unless first invited in by some one in the household. The people in that culture would not invite a stranger into their home, They would instead leave the door open and step aside for them to enter. If they entered without being invited then they were not a vampire. :tongue:

However, they are almost universally considered evil and to be destroyed as soon as possible. Even the method of destroying a vampire varies from culture to couture - most specify the head to be cut off - often with a special blade, blessed, silver or other. Some say a vampire must be burned completely, and still others that a brick or stone be put in its mouth to keep it from closing.(Don't ask, I don't know) :rolleyes:

The stake through the heart seems to be from middle Europe where the stake was not just through the heart, but into the ground beneath to nail the vampire in place for the rest of the procedure - usually cutting off the head and separating it from the body when buried. Often a suspected vampire was buried with their head between their legs.

Lots more of that kind of stuff. However, Vlad Tepes (Dracula) was not considered a vampire at all, and is a local hero for fighting the Turks in Wallachia (now a part of Romania). Bram Stoker just liked the name Dracula and the location and used them in his story.

But in no resource that I looked in did a vampire twinkle! So that is a new myth just for the latest generation. :blink:

As you see, almost anything goes for a vampire in a game. It just depends on what the game maker (or modder :thumbsup:) wants their vampire to be.