Getting paid to mod? Great! Paying for mods? Ohh....

OnlyOneWing

216 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay for mods?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Only if it is extremely cheap.
    • I refuse to pay, but would donate.
  2. 2. Would you want to charge for your mods?

• Yes, I put a ton of hard work into them and receive little in return.
    • No, I am just glad that people enjoy my mods.
    • I would rather accept donations from satisfied gamers.

No way in hell am i gonna pay for mods, nor would i charge for my mods, a donation thing to the website would be nice but i'm broke and no job so i wouldn't do that either....anyways...to put it short if mods cost money i'm done playing and will find a new game to play, it should be free everywhere 100% of the time, they want to charge they will lose me as a buyer of their games plain and simple

If -they- want to charge they will lose you as a buyer of -their- game....

Modders are not the developers of the game...it is some dude in his home that is ripping apart the game and enhancing it...like saying you personally made skyrim..did you? no...if you break apart the game and mod angel wings on all Bretons, does that make you suddenly owner of the elder scrolls series? no...it doesn't.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly speaking, I'd love to make money off of mods but I'd hate to have to go through a cheap pimp and a strip search to do so. Steam reminds me of both. As for paying for mods? Unless they are on the level of a minor expansion or more, I wouldn't even consider it. I can live without horse armor.

Bringing money into the equation defeats the purpose of mods.

I don't care about the capitalistic bull. We pay for games so that the industry can keep making games but if we start paying for mods then let's forget about mods as we know them now (think DLC instead).

Besides I don't see how Bethesda would allow anyone to make money selling mods without taking their cut. The way mods work now benefits both to the community and the developer. We get games that are enhanced by great mods and Bethesda increase the longevity of their games thanks to these mods.

It's been said before but you also have to take into account that if money gets involved in modding you can expect all the nasty and devious tricks that people tend to use when money is at stake. Also don't expect a modder to be friendly with a potential competitor. The best modders are the ones who will take some time to help and put you on the right track if you ask them but don't expect that to happen if making money with mods becomes a reality.

Edited by Shantih

The majority of sales for Skyrim were on consoles...the vast majority. Bethesda's financial future doesn't depend on the PC gamer since it is an insignificant market share.

True, consoles rule the roost, but PC sales in the first 3 days were 14% of total (3.4 milllion units according to this. That's hardly 'insignificant'.

And PC sales keep a game going well after the console players have moved onto the next shiny thing. Wish I could find that article that Arthmoor linked where it disputed that PC sales were in the minority anyway...

i voted no because i dont want to pay a mod.Think that every member in nexus have already try over 100 different mods.Although some mods are good but some of them arent worth to play.So why i player must pay for a mod in case it isnt good and dont want to play it after it was paid?If a player want mods and want to try mods like we did in oblivion player may be pay 800$ or above in that system.This is already a console price or i can buy different games with that money so why i must pay for a mod?Players already pay for buying game i think it shoulnt be neccessary for paying every single mods which made for just fun.Bethesta is trying to make F2P online games system for earnig money i think.Every F2P games has shops which people buy items from them for good playing.In skyrim i dont want to see a mod shop which is simillar to this.We all play oblivion for a long time not because of a brilliant story or some etc. We all played oblivion because we set it into our wishes or dreams by modding. I hope bethesda wont kill modding system which previous games have.

The donate button is the only logical option - if the modder wishes to receive donations, of course. Id much rather donate £5 for a mod I really enjoy than have to pay a compulsory 10p per mod. For a start, as its already been said, making payment for mods compulsory defeats the whole point of having mods to the game, with payment they are no more than crappy DLCs. Many gamers, especially the younger ones, dont have access to a paypal account or a credit card, and so paying a token fee is more hassle than the mod is worth. I am not in that situation anymore, but I have previously been in that position and it is very frustrating, especially when the fee is so small. A donation button allows the modder to receive some compensation for the hard work put into the mod (if he/she wishes) without forcing it on people, meaning that more people will use the mod, and the modder will probably receive more money - donations are likely to be fairly decently sized in some cases, and a small number of larger donations could well exceed a large number of token fees.

And PC sales keep a game going well after the console players have moved onto the next shiny thing. Wish I could find that article that Arthmoor linked where it disputed that PC sales were in the minority anyway...

It suits Bethesda to have people think they're supporting the PC out of the goodness of their heart, its their excuse for half arsed ports and the general poor quality of their PC versions. EA aren't throwing millions at Origin for fun, PC gaming is healthier than it has been for many years. I cringe when I read posts from cretinous fanboys who excuse Bethesdas shoddy work on the grounds that they don't have to make a PC version, with no Sony/Microsoft tax and a large percentage of direct downloads there is plenty of profit to be made from the platform.