Oblivion crashing during loading screen - help appreciated

LeClassyJester

Hello all this is my first post so please forgive if im doing something wrong.

whenever I try to load my game the bar moves slightly and then it instantly goes back to desktop. If someone could provide any assistance id really appreciate it. This is my current load order:

Oblivion.esm

Mart's Monster Mod.esm

Enhanced Daedric Invasion.esm

BetterMusicSystem.esm

CM Partners.esm

HorseCombatMaster.esm

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

LoadingScreens.esp

DLCHorseArmor.esp

DLCOrrery.esp

DLCVileLair.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor.esp

DLCSpellTomes.esp

CapesandCloaks.esp

Immersive Weapons.esp

kdRhazed.esp

Rogue Battlemage Armor.esp

DLCThievesDen.esp

Alluring Potion Bottles v3.esp

Mart's Monster Mod - Additional Enemy NPC Vars.esp

Mart's Monster Mod - Diverse Imperial Armor.esp

Mart's Monster Mod - City Defences.esp

Creature Diversity.esp

BrotherhoodRenewed.esp

Kvatch Rebuilt.esp

Legion Faction Mod.esp

DLCBattlehornCastle.esp

DLCFrostcrag.esp

Knights.esp

Daedric Shrine Ruins.esp

Enhanced Daedric Invasion.esp

P1DkeyChain.esp

tbskGuardsFeatures.esp

MidasSpells.esp

Mounted_Spellcasting_Deadly_Reflex_Compatible.esp

DRSplatter.esp

CM Partners.esp

CM Partners Special NPCs.esp

CM Partners NPC.esp

CM Partners NPC NE.esp

CM Partners More NPCs.esp

CM Partners More NPCs NE.esp

CM Partners Marker NPCs.esp

CM Partners Extra NPCs.esp

Oblivion_Character_Overhaul.esp

DeadlyReflex 6 - Combat Moves.esp

ExoticLongsword.esp

One problem (however not ikely related to your crashing) is that you are using both the essental and not-essential versions of each of the CM Partners ESP (i.e. both CM Partners NPC.esp and CM Partners NPC NE.esp ... use one or the other but not both).

Crashes like you describe are often a "missing master" type crash (mod A needs mod B to work, but mod B is below mod A in the load order so Oblivion crashes because mod A can't find mod B when it loads).

Sort your load order with BOSS.

Edited by Striker879

One problem (however not ikely related to your crashing) is that you are using both the essental and not-essential versions of each of the CM Partners ESP (i.e. both CM Partners NPC.esp and CM Partners NPC NE.esp ... use one or the other but not both).

Crashes like you describe are often a "missing master" type crash (mod A needs mod B to work, but mod B is below mod A in the load order so Oblivion crashes because mod A can't find mod B when it loads).

Sort your load order with BOSS.

Thanks for the tip, I used BOSS but I still have the same problem

Deactivating mods (but leaving them installed) doesn't always give you a proper test. The crash could be caused by resources that are still read by the game when it starts (meshes, textures, animations etc).

A couple of candidates that I see that have a reputation for trouble are any of the Deadly Reflex and related ESPs as well as the Key Chain mod.

The best way to install mods is one at a time, and test thoroughly in between (granted sometimes you need to install more than one mod when there are mod dependancies).

Always start the vanilla game and test before installing any mods. A good plan is to run through the tutorial with vanilla Oblivion. Right before you exit the sewer make a save (before you get the character finalization menus ... this save will be useful if you want to start a new character later and don't want to go through the whole tutorial again).

Exit the sewer and make another save, not overwriting the first. This save can be used to continue your character after you get your base mods installed. Then go to the Imperial City Market District and make yet another save (this will be your mod testing save).

If you didn't run into any problems with vanilla Oblivion to this point, start adding mods and testing using that Market District save or the outside the sewer save (the Market District save stresses your machine with lots of NPCs and the outside the sewer save is useful for running around the rest of the world during testing, but the Market District could be your primary testing save). Don't overwrite either of these saves, at least not until you are satisfied with your load order.

Edited by Striker879