Is it easy for everyone to make mods?

Lancars

I am learning & have found some things to be very easy, while some things definitely are not. I have also been tripped up by vanilla bugs that I didn't know about - correct me if I'm wrong but you are probably best to include the Skyrim update as a master!

Another thing, the Creation Kit Wiki tutorials are a good starting point but aren't always fully helpful. I followed one on navmeshing exactly & couldn't understand why on earth a particular aspect of it wasn't working - a quick question in the forums & a more experienced modder gave me some significant info that effortlessly solved the problem, information that was mentioned absolutely nowhere in the tutorial!

So did you edit the Wiki to fix that? The CK Wiki is meant to be a place for the community to share information. Unfortunately no one seems to want to actually add information there which leads to the situation you describe. If you're uncomfortable editing the tutorial itself at least put a note on the Discussion tab.

No I didn't, I tried it out, tested it, then immediately became distracted by updating a different mod - I haven't even looked at the mod in question for weeks, or even really thought about it until posting in this thread! I will eventually want to get back onto player accommodations so I will make a note about it once I have refreshed my memory.

I've made dozens of mods for myself. But this attitude: "Why bother making the mod for the public if you don't take kindly to requests" is exactly why I have never bothered to release any. Making a mod takes a LONG time! And once you're done with one, you've already probably got 400 of your own ideas for a new one that you're eager to start. But instead, everyone seems to expect mod authors to take hours and hours out of their personal day just to customize a finished mod for them. No one's getting rich off of their mods, so I don't see why any mod author owes anything to the users on Nexus -- except to fix bugs and upload clean mods.

I mean, I read the comments -- just on player homes, for example -- and over and over and over again, people are asking for "more beds" or "could you add a chest" or "I don't like this furniture x. Could you replace it with furniture y?" Yet doing these very very basic things IS easy in the CK, once you have put in the time and effort to learn to use it. (Thing is: "easy" isn't the same as "takes no time." Some of the easiest things are still very, very time consuming even for people who know what they're doing.)

I believe that everyone who is capable of learning to play Skyrim and to install mods properly is also capable of learning to do the *basics* in the Creation Kit. But no one figures this stuff out in a day, or after watching a couple of tutorials. And none of us knew what we were doing when we first opened the CK.

Edited by moriador

Well I'll be honest i cant begin to comprehend most ck tutorials as im a visual learner and with so many youtube videos it is pretty overwhelming so everything i learned is from breaking the game until something works... Not a good method but, eh.

It can be helpful to download a mod that does what you want to learn then open it in the CK, this way you can see how other authors have executed things - for example I found this to be useful when trying to make a bath, particularly one that is compatible with Frostfall & Bathing in Skyrim, as I couldn't find any tutorials for that! It can certainly help you to gain a better understanding of how many of the more simple things are done, which may make the tutorials easier for you to follow.

Edit: I also strongly agree with Moriador, I can understand people asking, but not giving attitude if an author who will personally gain nothing out of their request declines to grant it.

Edited by ElioraArin