How do you make texture transparent?

Zachcuden

Hey guys I've been trying to remove pieces from the nightingale armor such as having a piece in the back out to show skin. So far everything I've done just makes the part completely see through, even through the body, or just hasn't worked. The mod below managed to do it very well but I just can't figure out what they did. Even looking at it through gimp. I've tried threshold alpha and color to alpha but I'm new to all this and know I'm making a mistake somewhere. If somebody could just guide me through it, that would be fantastic. I've also tried looking this up but either I got nothing or the answers didn't apply to me. Like the person who asked the question already did something right and just saved it as the wrong format for example while I have no clue where to start.

This is the mod that does it very well!

http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=239

Its always the same:

I know the photoshop method:

Open a .DDS texture in Photoshop and go to the channels tab. Open the Alpha channel, now paint with White to Black and inbetween: White means Completely visible, black means invisible, anything inbetween will be kind of transparent.

Save the texture back to .DDS format.

Its always the same:

I know the photoshop method:

Open a .DDS texture in Photoshop and go to the channels tab. Open the Alpha channel, now paint with White to Black and inbetween: White means Completely visible, black means invisible, anything inbetween will be kind of transparent.

Save the texture back to .DDS format.

I go to the channels tab, but find no alpha channel.

Hm I use CS5.1 maybe yours is too Old

You mean you are doing a simple texture created in photoshop, no imported texture from the game?

I dont know if theres a .DDS plugin for ps 7

I use the Nvidia plugin, when I save I use the DXR3 ARGB 8bpp structure (You see in the channels: Alpha, Red, Gree, Blue)

Unfortunately I didnt manage to get the right compression level: my textures somehow look "blocky"

PS: to create an alpha channel: (Its cut off in my screenshot) but down there should be an icon left next to the little trash can "create new channel" that will create an alpha channel filled with default black.

Or you can select any part and choose the button right next to it "create channel from selection"