Is it "cheating" if...

cantgobacknow

So I really wanted the Heaven's Wratch armour (http://static.tesnexus.com/downloads/images/10505-1190663124.jpg). I entered the dungeon in which to acquire it at level 16. Even the first part of the dungeon was substantially too hard for me. I'm not overly interested in the mechanical advantages of the armour (armour level, etc), I just think it looks brilliant. So I lowered the game difficulty all the way to the lowest setting, just so I could complete the dungeon. I got the armour. The picture I've linked does it no justice, in-game it looks simply amazing.

Now I can't help but feel I cheated. Ugh. And I did in a way, on the other hand I didn't do it for the combat advantage, I did it because I think the appearance of the armour is AMAZING.

Thoughts?

See mod: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=10505#content and http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=31063

Only 1. "There is no cheating in a single-player game." (It's by definition of the term, which requires someone who was cheated.)

Do whatever pleases you in whichever way pleases you. As long as you yourself feel fine with it, nothing else matters.

Edited by DrakeTheDragon

Are you enjoying the new toys? If so, the only way you could have cheated yourself is if you decided to not finish the dungeon to get the armor (the age old 'the ends justifies the means' scenario).

Just enjoy your game and play it how you want.

PlayerAdd.Item xyz number is real cheating but what are you going to do if you run out of lockpicks.

:biggrin:

Buy new ones? :P

Personally I wouldn't ever be able to do what the OP did here. ^^ Lowering the difficulty setting is a big "no-no" for me, if anything, it should be RAISED! If I run into an obstacle I cannot come across, or a dungeon that is too hard for me, I'd typically come back to it later. That has never happened in Oblivion for me so far, though. :P But I'm extreme, a perfectionist. :P There is nothing wrong with playing the game however you like it, that is entirely up to you - and if you only wanted the armor for the looks, I totally understand. :) It is indeed a splendid armor, used it a lot on my Paladin. :) The enchantments are fairly weak though, so, in theory, you'd be better off enchanting your own daedric armor, but I disregarded that simply because of how awesome it looks. :) As a side note, I did the quest at level 40something at 60% difficulty. :D

If I run into an obstacle I cannot come across, or a dungeon that is too hard for me, I'd typically come back to it later. That has never happened in Oblivion for me so far, though. :P But I'm extreme, a perfectionist. :P

Some dungeons seem to be geared for higher levels though. Unless you have advance notice of which ones are above your level, there is no real way to know in advance is there? I mean aside from meta-game information (ie: google and forums)

Hey, the game lets you do it :) In the past I would've come back later, but I just don't have much gaming time anymore, so I've personally dabbled in a few "cheats" just to make the game more satisfying to play for myself -- mainly to cut out frustrating back-tracking and to save time, especially stuff that I remembered hating in Morrowind.