All my characters feel the same

darthsloth74

I agree with the immersion being broken, when you get pigeonholed into quest lines that your arch type wouldn't logically care about, or complete.

Bothers me a lot actually.

WTB the ability to abandon quests. ( Yes the quest sitting in my quest log is immersion breaking)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.

And although I DO find myself able to role-play very easily in Oblivion, even there it irks me that I really can do...well...everything. And that just isn't immersive.

If I side with one faction, then I want to have to absolutely - if I can at all - grovel my way into a new one. All sins forgiven isn't so much fun. I want to 'earn' my way, not be continually given a free pass.

While I love an open world with very non-linear gameplay, I do crave some - for want of a better term - moral ramifications for my actions. For example, it gets very old very quickly just being arrested by some guards, paying a fine and then it's 'slate wiped clean'.

I actually miss the way it was in Ultima IV (ancient gaming talk, I know.) If I killed that snotty little kid who was begging for coins I'd have to not only deal with the wrath of the guards, but I've have to do a fair bit of penance at the shrines to get back in the good books!

I almost wish games would drop all the voice-acting and go back to text. It allows for SO much more dialogue and - consequently - immersion.

When you have to struggle to get into the mood of your character and create what you want for them, it's not a good thing.

Anyhow, forgive the lack of a suggestion as to how to better roleplay in Skyrim...I still haven't found an answer yet.

To be honest I don't think the question of good and evil is particularly well defined as you say theres no moral ramifications for what you do. I kill a few people in an inn a guard comes in, I can go to jail, pay the bounty, new option to bribe the guard or I can simply say I'm the Thane.

Hmmn. Positions of power don't neccessarily allow unwarranted murder if the local lord is pretty decent. I think Bethesda give you the option to be potentially bad but really don't want to follow through with the consequences. Its like you can do a little evil, quasi evil but not be really cruel and sadistic, rule with an iron fist etc.

I preferred the more grey area of options within Witcher 2 to be honest that sometimes doing something noble can lead to harm and sometimes doing evil served a greater good. Anyway its good to know there are other people who like the game but have their concerns about aspects of it too. I miss the language ability from Morrowind so I've ordered it for Xmas since I haven't played it in years.

i've still got my copy of morrowind installed in my computer, i hardly ever play it though. i downloaded to many mods that just change it too much. and i added my own music and failed to realize until later that i killed the immersion on my own. it wasn't until i installed & played oblivion that i even noticed. as far as doing every single little thing in the whole game.

when i make a character i create a personality for each one, that determines what they do, what quests they take etc. i just try to avoid doing stuff they wouldn't. i will say an option to drop quests would be useful. because you don't often get the option to decline to take a quest after they told you what it is. or even if they do you get a quest to accept the quest. lol

i find that quite annoying.

For me the character feels like nothing more than a puppet with me pulling the strings, if my character can't hit someone with a sword it's my fault for missing, if they can't pick a lock it's my fault because for screwing up the minigame, if they get hit it's because I didn't block quick enough and so on. Add to this the create-a-clone chargen, the zombie like way the character ignores everything around them, the lack of idles and a world where none of my achievements make the slightest bit of difference and you've got a very lightweight RPG. I'm sure the Call of Battlefield crowd love it but some of us who immersed ourselves in games like Morrowind are sure to be more than a little disappointed.

i've still got my copy of morrowind installed in my computer, i hardly ever play it though. i downloaded to many mods that just change it too much. and i added my own music and failed to realize until later that i killed the immersion on my own. it wasn't until i installed & played oblivion that i even noticed. as far as doing every single little thing in the whole game.

when i make a character i create a personality for each one, that determines what they do, what quests they take etc. i just try to avoid doing stuff they wouldn't. i will say an option to drop quests would be useful. because you don't often get the option to decline to take a quest after they told you what it is. or even if they do you get a quest to accept the quest. lol

i find that quite annoying.

Yes I know what you mean I did that with Fallout 3 too. While theres a lot of excellent mods I think too many can kill the original spirit of the game a lesson I learned to my shame.

Regarding declining quests I think that should be a major option. I personally haven't forgotten the Choices and Consequences mod that let you deliver the amulet of kings. Jaffre asks if you will help, you answer no way and he sounds most put out when he said "fine then". Hilarious but an essential option.

Playing the all conquering hero is fun but gets boring so fast its not funny.

Morality and the methods you choose to achieve your goals are what define heroes and villains and the backstory you invent for them is what makes you empathise with them. I guess I've played too many limited PC RPG's that I forgot that most important thing.

To move forward I think some form of definate class structure needs to be in order which I don't feel needs to be as restrictive as Morrowind or Oblivion but it still needs some rules. For example a fighter should not use magic period that perk set is restricted. However a Paladin may take combat skills and restoration magic but not to the full extent that a dedicated mage would. However a fighter may be able to benefit from more secondary combat skills such as archery or could also develop their skills as an armourer through smithing.

I would also like to see more perk options for roleplaying, namely speech, lore and languages. You shouldn't even be able to read Dwemer or Elven books if you don't have their relevant language perk. Lore is cool because a lack of that skill stops you identifying every single longsword+2 etc.

I don't actually think the game is that broke to be honest, melee combat is the most fun I've had in an Elder Scroll game period, magic is pretty good but limited in certain areas, stealth is also once again a mess. I think someone who had real skill could tweak most of this to give us RPG diehards what we really want of course there really needs to be some form of main quest delayer/stopper and alternate starts for people who want to play a more ordinary character. More dialogue choices and consequences is equally important as are guild level advancement restrictions.

Finally I feel something that Brittainy mentioned in another post there needs to be far more customisation of characters in terms of look, build age etc as well as a possible trade/profession for them.

Hope I haven't ranted on I'm just trying to generate ideas for discussion.

well... its defiantely a step closer to morrowind than oblivion was... but...

yea, they messed up some critical areas that are making it hard to see the areas they did right.

i personally can't play morrowind anymore... i used to love it so much and theres still mods for it that I really wanted to try.. but it feels like its missing so much.

its wierd, because oblivion and Skyrim feel they are missing so much from morrowind also.

After 3 week of playing, after 4 totally different created characters, after 1 finished main quest storyline, I really do not understand why did everyone, but I mean EVERYONE, from the professional gameworld give so high score to Skyrim. This game is indeed brilliant in some moments, but when those moments pass slowly again I sink into the cons of the game... I intend not to repeat what was said before me on this thread, with which I agree with, I just need a place to let out my frustrations.

I have a thing for starting TES series all over - just to experience a different approach to the gameplay. After I get over the half way of the character development, I tend to create a new character and try very different approach. I do that cos I like to "grow" with my character. 1st great flaw of this game, imo, is the fact that from the very start you are able to do everything. It took me not a single hour of play to discover that with system like that my getting into the character approach was taken away from me.

Examples:

Archery

- would be much much cooler if your character would sometimes actually miss the target. Not by your fault as an lousy shot, but by the very fact that you are a novice and your aim is bad.

- headshot, if the enemy is not wearing any heavy armor head protection or is some type of a creature with very thick hide or armor or whatever should in my opinion always result as a single shot instant kill. When killing low level enemies - it does, but over dozen times I would look over a corpse of a enemy that menaged to get close, just to discovered that 3 of my shots indeed did land into his skull...

- not to mention that Betty failed to deliver arrows crafting, so that we have to have mods for it, after Oblivion and after Morrowind

Magicka

- sooooo... my health slowly regenerates while fighting, but my magicka holds still why I have a spell ready to release. Why would that be so? I've already used the magicka I needed to arm the spell, why handicap me further with blocking my magicka until I release the attack?

- where is the spell failure possibility? I can be an orc and burn my way through everything from the very start and then simply swap to axe and finish the poor thing. On the other hand, I can be a High elf and do the same thing starting with melee then to finish with spells. Oh, Betty said there are races with +5 or +10 to some skill branches? And I reply - the difference is unnoticable.

- until level 10 to be able to cast almost all spells with all races... yeah. Great.

Bah, I don't feel like writing any more, it tires me and my expectations from this game still hurts.

Anyways, while the races vary allot and look different, and yes, there are those racial skills that are individual - I cannot shake the feeling that whatever I create after level 5-10 it all feels the same. And then the thing most of us where really looking forward (I refer to the Creation kit) gets taken away from us by those money greedy Steam people. Morrowind I played for over 3 years almost every day, and enjoyed every second of it. Mods made sure of it. Then came the Oblivion. It was different, the feeling was not quite as Morrowind but I still enjoyed it and played it for 2 years - but with heavy influence of the mods, without which I would stop playing the game. And on the 11.11. came Skyrim, after anticipated it for months and months, after dreaming how epic it will be while looking those screenshots that Betty was sharing in a very greed fashion... I finally got the game. It was sold in first 3 days in my whole country. So for my dreamed Skyrim, it is 3rd week and I'm taking a break. A long one. Until the CK comes out. After those with more talent then me from this community fix all the wrongs that Betty has done... I believe I wont play anymore. I am not a teenager anymore as I was when playing Morrowind... and to keep one eye closed on all the flaws and bugs I simply cannot do.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is up to communities like these (and Nexus will always stay my fav, even if the Steam opens 100 workshops for mods) to save the game and restore the faith we have had in TES since Morrowind.

Goodnight everyone, keep one eye up on the sky.

And sorry for my bad english, this Duvakiin hales from a small country far far away...

Mshai. I agree many of your comments are quite justified I think its important thing to note is high scores from reviews are can simply be due to them spending a limited amount of time with the game so maybe they cannot be judged too harshly for their oversights.

To be honest I spent nearly a year playing Oblivion before I even tried any mods, Skyrim the only reason I load it up now is simply to check the texture work I'm doing, although I still enjoy exploring the odd dungeon I haven't previously visited.

I know its not fair to compare it because the games are very different but I think I put more hours into replaying Mass Effect 2 many times over than I have spent on Skyrim simply because I clicked with the main character more and had a certain degree of flexibility in my decisions even if the world is nowhere near as open ended as a TES title.

Edited by darthsloth74

After 3 week of playing, after 4 totally different created characters, after 1 finished main quest storyline, I really do not understand why did everyone, but I mean EVERYONE, from the professional gameworld give so high score to Skyrim. This game is indeed brilliant in some moments, but when those moments pass slowly again I sink into the cons of the game... I intend not to repeat what was said before me on this thread, with which I agree with, I just need a place to let out my frustrations.

I have a thing for starting TES series all over - just to experience a different approach to the gameplay. After I get over the half way of the character development, I tend to create a new character and try very different approach. I do that cos I like to "grow" with my character. 1st great flaw of this game, imo, is the fact that from the very start you are able to do everything. It took me not a single hour of play to discover that with system like that my getting into the character approach was taken away from me.

Examples:

Archery

- would be much much cooler if your character would sometimes actually miss the target. Not by your fault as an lousy shot, but by the very fact that you are a novice and your aim is bad.

- headshot, if the enemy is not wearing any heavy armor head protection or is some type of a creature with very thick hide or armor or whatever should in my opinion always result as a single shot instant kill. When killing low level enemies - it does, but over dozen times I would look over a corpse of a enemy that menaged to get close, just to discovered that 3 of my shots indeed did land into his skull...

- not to mention that Betty failed to deliver arrows crafting, so that we have to have mods for it, after Oblivion and after Morrowind

Magicka

- sooooo... my health slowly regenerates while fighting, but my magicka holds still why I have a spell ready to release. Why would that be so? I've already used the magicka I needed to arm the spell, why handicap me further with blocking my magicka until I release the attack?

- where is the spell failure possibility? I can be an orc and burn my way through everything from the very start and then simply swap to axe and finish the poor thing. On the other hand, I can be a High elf and do the same thing starting with melee then to finish with spells. Oh, Betty said there are races with +5 or +10 to some skill branches? And I reply - the difference is unnoticable.

- until level 10 to be able to cast almost all spells with all races... yeah. Great.

Bah, I don't feel like writing any more, it tires me and my expectations from this game still hurts.

Anyways, while the races vary allot and look different, and yes, there are those racial skills that are individual - I cannot shake the feeling that whatever I create after level 5-10 it all feels the same. And then the thing most of us where really looking forward (I refer to the Creation kit) gets taken away from us by those money greedy Steam people. Morrowind I played for over 3 years almost every day, and enjoyed every second of it. Mods made sure of it. Then came the Oblivion. It was different, the feeling was not quite as Morrowind but I still enjoyed it and played it for 2 years - but with heavy influence of the mods, without which I would stop playing the game. And on the 11.11. came Skyrim, after anticipated it for months and months, after dreaming how epic it will be while looking those screenshots that Betty was sharing in a very greed fashion... I finally got the game. It was sold in first 3 days in my whole country. So for my dreamed Skyrim, it is 3rd week and I'm taking a break. A long one. Until the CK comes out. After those with more talent then me from this community fix all the wrongs that Betty has done... I believe I wont play anymore. I am not a teenager anymore as I was when playing Morrowind... and to keep one eye closed on all the flaws and bugs I simply cannot do.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is up to communities like these (and Nexus will always stay my fav, even if the Steam opens 100 workshops for mods) to save the game and restore the faith we have had in TES since Morrowind.

And sorry for my bad english, this Duvakiin hales from a small country far far away...

Sounds to me like you rushed through the entire game to see if you can get to the end fastest...I'm still on one character at level 34 and I still have yet to see Riften and the area around it. I also haven't even done the Thieves guild, have no clue how to start the DB, haven't done the companions, and a whole lot more. Sorry Beth couldn't make a game that lasts forever when you rush through it all. (Reaching 100 hours play btw)

And you can make yourself very specialized in skills; you just need the discipline to do it. My one character is a Bosmer who specs in Stealth, Archery, and Fire Magic. I have very little spells outside my Fire spells and Heal. Could I go out and buy all the spells? Sure, but my character doesn't use that branch, so she can't "use" them. If I want to use Frostbite and stuff, I will make a mage.

As for your spoiler points:

-I have had arrows stray off course. I'm not sure if it was a bug or not, but there it is. The lack of limb damage is a little strange...a complete downgrade from Fallout 3 =/. Arrow crafting? Really? I have over 2000 arrows spread over 4 quivers...I really don't need any more...

-Magika doesn't regen with spells cocked for balance. You can sit there with two spells charged, wait for your mana pool to regen, then launch the spells, charge a new, launch those. It's a free two spells - which is -obviously- over powered for where Beth wanted Magic to fall. Spell failure would be interesting; perhaps we will see a mod for that. Okay? The Novice spells costs what? 30 magic a second without perks?

Examples:

Archery

Magicka

Nicely written and i agree with you.

I made 4 different characters/races wich i stoped playing after getting exactly to lvl 5-6, as many people said everything just feels the same and i get quickly bored...i started to think why to lose time and pick another character that will feel the same, i can instead just use the damn console cheats put everything on me and use whatever i want.

There is no consistency in the character progression since you can use anything, it kills the pleasure of playing a certain class and even though you dont have everything maxed out and there is a path you choose, the feeling of "jack of all trades" just dossent goes away.

The basic combat dossent make it any better...the classes are shalow and lack in deeper connection with the player...no advanced moves, techniques/stances, interesting combat choices...as i said in some other thread...you will swing your sword, shoot from your bow, stab and use magic on people/creatures/monsters/ the same way you did at the begining for the rest of the game.

The problem is, melee and magic combat are 2 worlds for themselfs that need depth and the feeling of progression as you lvl up, the perks are nice but overall they dont add anything but a few increases in numbers and lack any creativity or interesting choices.

The shouts are nice and they add some strategy but since they using the principles of magic elements they also convey in me the feeling of some basic power that i use here and there.

All combat in tes games was like this...sadly...i cant wait for the ck to come out.

Edited by pavy