Problems with OMOD

DasakiKasanagi

So I've downloaded the file I needed directly for the mod and it's supposed to have an already made OMOD file in the archive, but here it isn't. When I Create a new OMOD from the archive, or file, or however, it does nothing when I activate it and do that Archive Invalidation thing. Any help?

The file is from the below url
http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/34442/?

and here is a picture of the .rar file I've received.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q118/Usiema/problem_zpsor08rkdi.jpg

You'll need to change the file extension back to xxxxx.omod (so right mouse click and then select Rename). If you get a warning about changing the file extension just ignore it and continue with the rename.

Microsoft decided in all their wisdom to "hijack" file extensions for compressed files they have no idea about (so you download a file named xxx.omod and it changes the file extension to xxx.zip or xxx.rar).

That simple eh? I'll follow up if anything else goes wrong.

ADDENDUM: So renaming it didnt work to changing it's its file type, it's still showing up as a 7zip file. It is supposed to be downloaded as an omod file, not a 7zip archive, right?
This is what I'm clicking to get the file. http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/download/80882

Edited by DasakiKasanagi

So renaming it didnt work to changing it's its file type, it's still showing up as a 7zip file. This is what I'm clicking to get the file. http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/download/80882

If you close the folder you downloaded it to, & then reopen it, it will show as a .omod file.

Or you can just choose the "save as" option in that link & change the .zip to .omod there.

You can tell by what's in the .zip, that it is an omod.

Edited by olnorton

The latest versions of Windows hide the filetype extension by default for known filetypes. You can toggle it somewhere in the preferences menu of Windows Explorer (the file explorer thingy). There should be a long-ish list of tickboxes for all sorts of options.

If you have filetype extensions hidden, then you probably cannot rename the extension, I would think. Or not. I am not sure. Like if you have a file

some_photo.jpg

Windows would display

some_photo

and if you double-click to edit it, it either will show the extension ready for editing or it will not. If it does not, you cannot "rename" the extension. If it shows just the name, and you append ".omod" to it

some_photo.omod

it would end up being

some_photo.omod.jpg

but that is just an idea. There has been some talk about Windows changing file extensions of OMOD files before, too, but that sounds silly, and I do not think it has ever happened to me. Odd. But it seems to have happened to you. Which browser did you use to download it? Just curious. An OS should not change file extensions by itself, at least it would not make any sense. Maybe whatever program you use to download the files changed the extension somehow, in an effort to try and be "smart"? Edit: Ooops, Striker already covered this, but still, an OS should not be tampering with file extensions AT ALL, it has absolutely no reasons to, and if an OS does do that, it is just nutters.

I downloaded the thing, to test, with Firefox, and yes, it actually comes as an .omod file when downloaded. The file explorer (on Linux) shows the type as "Zip archive", and it opens just great in an archive manager, but the file extension is still "omod". Screenshot in spoiler:

untitled.jpg

So maybe your browser does something to the extension? Does it give any options to "save as" when downloading? That would be a nice chance to see if it tries to save the file with another extension when downloading it?

Edited by Contrathetix

A trick to use if you have Hide File Extensions for Known File Types is to right click on the file and select Properties from the right click menu. The full file name including extension will be displayed in one of the Properties dialogue box fields.

I guess it is possible it was a "browser introduced feature" (this hijacking of file extensions), but somehow I don't think all browsers would have included that "feature" at the same time, though I admit I haven't made any inquiries around which browser affected people are using. I first heard of the problem before Win 10's release back in the mid to later stages of Win 8.1 deployment.

Best bet, as suggested, is to turn off Hide File Extensions so that you can see what you are doing.

• 1 month later...

The latest versions of Windows hide the filetype extension by default for known filetypes. You can toggle it somewhere in the preferences menu of Windows Explorer (the file explorer thingy). There should be a long-ish list of tickboxes for all sorts of options.

If you have filetype extensions hidden, then you probably cannot rename the extension, I would think. Or not. I am not sure. Like if you have a file

some_photo.jpg

Windows would display

some_photo

and if you double-click to edit it, it either will show the extension ready for editing or it will not. If it does not, you cannot "rename" the extension. If it shows just the name, and you append ".omod" to it

some_photo.omod

it would end up being

some_photo.omod.jpg

but that is just an idea. There has been some talk about Windows changing file extensions of OMOD files before, too, but that sounds silly, and I do not think it has ever happened to me. Odd. But it seems to have happened to you. Which browser did you use to download it? Just curious. An OS should not change file extensions by itself, at least it would not make any sense. Maybe whatever program you use to download the files changed the extension somehow, in an effort to try and be "smart"? Edit: Ooops, Striker already covered this, but still, an OS should not be tampering with file extensions AT ALL, it has absolutely no reasons to, and if an OS does do that, it is just nutters.

I downloaded the thing, to test, with Firefox, and yes, it actually comes as an .omod file when downloaded. The file explorer (on Linux) shows the type as "Zip archive", and it opens just great in an archive manager, but the file extension is still "omod". Screenshot in spoiler:

untitled.jpg

So maybe your browser does something to the extension? Does it give any options to "save as" when downloading? That would be a nice chance to see if it tries to save the file with another extension when downloading it?

Ahhh, thank you very much for the help Contra, and Striker. I'm using Chrome, and lately it's been doing some weird crap with pop ups lately.

Also sorry for the late reply. Been making music and stuffs for Morrowind.

I'll try everything out when I get some time tonight.

Edited by DasakiKasanagi