( Video Tutorial) How to Get Custom Weapons Into Skyrim!

somuchmonsters

So hey guys! I'm Joe. I'm actually an artist at Arena.Net who got excited about making fun stuff for Skyrim. There was only one problem. The toolkit is not out yet and even though it's possible to get things to work, the information was very scattered. So here. A video of all the important steps of getting a new weapon into the game. I'll follow up with more videos of similar nature. Let me know what you think!

Second video to show the setup of blood effect meshes is up now! Hachaca.

Third video explaining how to get a new armor asset into game. Aka a model with skin weights on it. First part of 2. High five!

Fourth video on getting the new armor into game WITH weight sliders intact.

I cannot actually link new youtube files because of some media limit. SAD. The embed won't work, but the video is at the link.

Edited by somuchmonsters

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave it a flick over. gets seal of approval. :thumbsup:

One thing you might need to mention is that pretty much for ever, the niftools max plugin has issues with exporting correct tangent space values, you can get slightly skewed results.. It's almost reflex to update anything exported from max in nifskope, spells>batch> update tangent space. It's quite minor, especially recently as I haven't really had much of an issue with my binormals and tangents, but every now and again you can get something dodgy.

A lot of the options in the export dialog won't do anything if you leave them on or off in most situations, the flatten hierarchy is mostly for skinned meshes, when you have the skeleton you rigged to in the scene. You want that flat. there is some odd behaviour like having anything under skin ticked will be like having zero transforms ticked..

I'm linking it in one of the more used topics so it doesn't disappear down the forum and people can find it easier.

Edited by Ghogiel

somuchmonsters: I would still make a note on updating tangent space, it is a known and fairly common issue. True explaining what all the exporter dialogue options do is worth while, but perhaps beyond the scope of your tut....

How about effects and animations, i mean like how to make partial transport textures.

Those are very round about workflows.. even for F3.

Specifically in skyrim, hkx animations and getting them working in game, not all the kinks are worked out yet I don't think. And about 6 people could even do anything with the info anyway. :tongue:

You can export some types of custom built animations now though, the work flow for them is very similar to F3. What you can't really export is any animation data that isn't a transform. Things like texture and material animations have be build inside nifskope. But you can go ahead and animate daedric chainsaws right now, with smoke effects pumping out the exhaust pipes.. most of the work is going to take place in nifskope though... :pinch:

I would just forget about totally custom particles... They have to be build in nifskope as well, a tutorial would be as mind numbing as actually doing it. A little tip though,(same applies to complex scene animations) If you were so inclined, you can export them for oblivion with the civ4 plugin, however BS have been using a different system since F3 and none of what you export is directly compatible.. however you can export them with the civ4 plugin and from there you can almost read the data in the various modifiers, which quite closely translate to these new ones, so in effect you can make them in max, then rebuild it by hand in niskope more or less. The benefit of doing so is that an effects artist will have a much better understanding of complex scene setups, then how that data gets filed into an exported nif and understanding it, building it, and doing it blind without any visual representation expect in game testing. Basically it is a lot easier to comprehend a cool effect in max than it is in nifskope just by looking at complex hierarchy and a bunch of numbers...

I spent many hours making and deciphering what everything is in these psystems. It's not so much nifskope master skills, more nifskope test your patience skills :pinch:

Edited by Ghogiel

Ghogiel: I feel like it can wait for a second video where the export chain is not completely broken, no? Same with the animations. It's currently a little tragic to do. I'll update the youtube video info to mention tangent space, but not gonna rerecord for that particular note. I have not even looked at particles. I'll look at it, but it's a pretty unlikely next candidate.