( Video Tutorial) How to Get Custom Weapons Into Skyrim!

somuchmonsters

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mean to sound harse, but this thread has made me very frustrated.

Since I started fiddling with Skyrim, I have heard of playing with things like TriShapes and Dismemberment to get that weight slider to work with a custom skin mesh. Unfortunately, I've yet to succeed. Somewhere there is a list of instructions that teaches one how to open a nif file in MAX, SAFELY mod it, and then export the thing correctly so it will work in-game. I have seen several mods people have produced that prove it so. There IS a way to make it happen. Can one say here or there what that way is?

I need instructions to import and then export both the 0 and 1 skin meshes for bodies in Skyrim. I can make the lowest size and greatest size work but I get glitches if the weight slider moves anywhere in between. If someone will tell me how to do this stuff, I swear I will give them all the credit for my posts and build them a Temple.

Please tell me how to correctly create a custom skin mesh for Skyrim.

This is Pizza Monster now---> :wallbash: http://troy2.magix.net/sad.jpg :wallbash: This is what Pizza Monster wishes to be: http://troy2.magix.net/veryhappy.jpg :dance:

Did I mention the Temple?

well the author of this thread has another thread in this subforum with a max script that does something or other to do with keeping the vert index intact (ie so the weight morph doesn't freak out) http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/512432-video-tutorial-how-to-get-skinned-meshes-into-game/

There is another thread with a sure fire way. http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/478312-tutorial-3ds-max-skinned-meshes-into-game/

basically you add an edit poly modifier, edit, then copy that modifier to the other version, that should make the edits on both meshes the same.

Failing that, then you could resort to doing that part, then cloning one of them and using textools UVW XYZ swapper on the version you are trying to make and your clone and skin wrap the clone to the version you want to make out of it, their UV layouts are the same between versions so you can use that to perfectly wrap a clone to the other shape to get a working morph off it. Sounds a bit vague I know, but you shouldn't need to get to that point.

Edited by Ghogiel

Like ghogiel said, Pizza monster! Other thread. so much morpher. It should get you most of the way. You may want to do some editing beyond what the script morphs for you, but theres an edit poly assigned already so do what you will. Also: when editing the mesh beyond the morph state, dont collapse the stack or do anything that would modify the number of verts. I.E. do not cut, split, merge, weld chamfer or anything of the sort. That will break the morph. Only use transform tools or modifiers that only transform verts. i.e. push is acceptable, turbosmooth is not.

More modeling related, but is there a general way to conform one mesh to another with identical vertex number and topology while preserving vertex order? I've been doing it with edit poly and snap to vertex, but that takes a really long time.

3ds max 2012, but didn't know Maya had that.

After trying out a ton of conform and wrap tools, the only thing I can get working (that absolutely preserves vertex order) is to simply go in and manually edit the stupid thing in Edit Poly mode. OK for a couple of dozen vertices ... but not something I want to do with hundreds or thousands of verts. Only one conform tool (conform.ms) did a perfect job, but a few dozen verts were still misordered, which kind of defeats the point. The rest either mutilated the mesh (holes) or simply did not do anything. There is one (Morphix) that purportedly works to reorder verts but gets index out of range errors on both max 2009 and 2012 (don't have earlier versions to test).

Additional suggestions welcome. Yes I know about the somuchmonsters script, but that won't work since I'm working with custom bodies right now.

Edited by jimhsu