( Video Tutorial) How to Get Custom Weapons Into Skyrim!

somuchmonsters

Now, I noticed this: if I export this mesh it comes out as 3 different NiTriShapes, even though in max it shows up as a single object, maybe that has something to do with the crash. I'm starting to think that there must be other way to join meshes that I simply don't know, my overall lack of knowledge is a big part of the issue =S

This by itself should not cause problems, because my subobjects (in max) get converted fine to working meshes. Did you make sure to copy the shaders for each part?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, I noticed this: if I export this mesh it comes out as 3 different NiTriShapes, even though in max it shows up as a single object, maybe that has something to do with the crash. I'm starting to think that there must be other way to join meshes that I simply don't know, my overall lack of knowledge is a big part of the issue =S

The exporter will split the mesh according to material ID. If you have more than one material on it, then it'll be split according to that. pretty much the only reason it'll get split that I can think of...

Oh thanks, that was it! I deleted all the materials, made a new one and it exported without crashing. I could make the mesh show up ingame, new crappy textures included (I made a super fast new UVmap and textures).

Now I can go rest peacefully and wait for the armor tutorial, thank you sir and I'm sorry, I just keep asking for help....

My textures aren't showing up when I import any NIF file into NifSkope. I use the FO3 archive extractor and load the NIF in NifSkope and there isn't a texture only the mesh. Just to test it I only extracted the Daedric Greatsword and nothing else. Opened it in NifSkope and no texture... I went to Render>Settings>Auto Detect... and got nothing. I even tried to manually lead a path to the Skyrim Data folder with no luck. I then Extracted the textures and they were put into the textures folder with the appropriate folder tree (just like the daedric sword mesh did). I then lead the manual path to the textures folder (no luck) then lead the manual path directly to the .dds file of the deadric sword texture. I know I'm not losing the swords UV mapping because Im not taking it into Max, Maya, or Blender. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Oh and thank you for the tutorials... very cool.

Did you use a proper BsLightingShaderProperty from a working NIF?

I guess so. I never changed anything from anything. I exported the sword and opened it immediately in NifSkope.

Edited by dab0ne

My textures aren't showing up when I import any NIF file into NifSkope. I use the FO3 archive extractor and load the NIF in NifSkope and there isn't a texture only the mesh. Just to test it I only extracted the Daedric Greatsword and nothing else. Opened it in NifSkope and no texture... I went to Render>Settings>Auto Detect... and got nothing. I even tried to manually lead a path to the Skyrim Data folder with no luck. I then Extracted the textures and they were put into the textures folder with the appropriate folder tree (just like the daedric sword mesh did). I then lead the manual path to the textures folder (no luck) then lead the manual path directly to the .dds file of the deadric sword texture. I know I'm not losing the swords UV mapping because Im not taking it into Max, Maya, or Blender. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Oh and thank you for the tutorials... very cool.

Also I read that there's a version of Nifskope that doesn't load textures, check if yours is the latest just in case....

I just downloaded the latest versions (the website said it was posted like 9 hours ago nifskope-1.1.0-rc2) and still the same thing. I dunno. Thanks for your help though guys. If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Did you point to Data\Textures\ ? it should point to Data\

like so:

D:\SkyrimUnpacked\Data\

WOW!!! I am stupid. Thank you so much. That worked. I tried every folder in the damn hierarchy except that one. I did textures, weapons, and daedric. Thanks a lot for your help I appreciate it. I knew it was user error I just needed someone else to put their brain on it. Thanks.

Alright got my model and textures in but I am having trouble with the specularity. My sword is really shiny and I dont want that I want it to be totally dull. All I have is my diffuse texture and a normal map. I replaced the Daedric longword and completely removed the _e and _m textures (there wasn't an _em texture that I could see) in NifSkope and saved it out properly. The sword works beautifully and the Normal and Diffuse are wonderful but I want to remove the specularity. I open the normal .dds in photoshop and there isn't an alpha connected to it. Is it defaulting those spec textures by looking into the .BSA files or something? Any help is appreciated. If you need more specific info I can give that too. Thanks.

If you are using a shader that is set up to be basically expecting to find an _e and _m, but all you did was blank the texture set slots for those maps, you are kinda doing it wrong. if you have no need for that shader, use a diferent one, try the iron weapons, iirc they are default shader and not one that uses an environment map.

Your specular map should be saved into your normal maps alpha channel. It's up to you to make and use one. It's not looking in the bsa for spec maps, you're just not using one, and the material on the daedric weapons have a really high specular strength.

_m and _em are the same map. Just different name