Anyone know how to max smithing skill in first few days of game time?

zyg0tic

I would like to max my smithing (or just get it to 80 for ebony) within the first week of game time. I basically want to level up only by smithing, then deck myself out in ebony before starting the main quest and other adventures.

Im not sure how best to achieve my goal.

If I were to start over, my current idea/strategy would be this:

1. Stay in Riverwood or Whiterun for first couple of days - stay well rested to get the 10% skill bonus

2. Chop wood - while it is slow and doesnt earn much, it also doesnt increase any skills

3. Choose the Warrior Stone for smithing training sessions

4. Choose Thief Stone when selling/trading

5. Use Speech perks to reduce cost of resources and improve selling prices

6. Make and improve Dwarven bows when they begin to yield a profit

The basic need is to have enough gold to purchase the massive amounts of ingots and leather needed to make the daggers.

Whiterun is better for earning money and getting resources. It has an enchanters table so that you can make a profit from enchanting daggers.

Keen to hear any other ideas for doing this successfully that you might have.

UPDATE: I've managed to do this, but it took longer the a week of game time because of waiting for vendor to renew their gold and stock.

I recorded it all and will make it into a tutorial video on Youtube if there is enough demand for it from forum members here.

Edited by zyg0tic

making iron daggers. sleep for 8 hours for bonus to skills. Warrior stone for the 20% boost, smithing is in warrior set.

killing wolves for hides to get leather and then strips. clear near by caves for iron. to reach 80 will need to make around 200+ iron daggers cheapest way to level it. Then you might be lvl 10 or so when done if you start a new character. gold, man idk how much you will need. lots xD

pretty much what you have there i say is a great way. anything better?

Edited by Guss

@Guss I think you only have to sleep 6 hours for the well rested bonus.

@Tardivex How did you earn the money to afford it? From other sources?

It would be cool to figure out how to generate the income needed to support a smithing habit while still very early on in the game. Alchemy is the best earner I have found, but not sure if it could sustain me for maxing out smithing when im still low level.

Edited by zyg0tic

Well your method seems rather straight forward. I maxed out smithing as my first skill with all perks. I got the money from quests and such, so it wasn't my main first priority before starting the main quest. Were I to start over I would do as you said and chop wood for a long time, or go gather herbs and such to sell. I would also clear out houses of their loot and sell to the thieves guild fences, which sadly would require you to do one quest at least. You could always go to the many mines and mine your own ore to sell for money for the less expensive iron ingots. Sadly many of them are filled with nasty critters that will attack you in the middle of mining. I'm also not sure if those veins ever refill themselves like the herbs do.

All in all, I have no idea how one would go through with getting 80 smithing in a week of game time without doing anything to level your other skills or start any quests.

Would you consider your character venturing to Dawnstar and Markarth, to apprentice under the smithies there?

*minor quest spoilers follow*

The Dawnstar quest is just fetching a book, and there''s 1 in Markarth, both of whom give you the smithy training as a quest reward. Plus more places to buy/rob/sell.

additionally, in Riften, theres a place to go... somewhere... Mzinlchaft.... and one of the rewards is a plus 15% smithing blessing.

ADDITIONAL EDIT: I doubt there's enough gold in the game week at the various traders to enable you to buy sufficient materials :confused: :confused: They don't carry much on them at a time.

Edited by neiljwd

Why would you want to max out smithing and nothing else? Essentially that would raise your level, and the level of your enemies. So when you go out to kill something you end up getting slaughtered as you've got zero combat skills.

Why would you want to max out smithing and nothing else? Essentially that would raise your level, and the level of your enemies. So when you go out to kill something you end up getting slaughtered as you've got zero combat skills.

Having a full set of Deadric weapons and armor means you can pick up combat skills later.

from locotes:

Sometimes I don't even need my gat

But sh$#t's getting deep and I gotta

Blast back 2 thievery 1 robbery 1 robbery

'Cuz jacking is my hobby

Give me that money, jewelry and your keys

-Cypress Hill

Interpretation: steal everything from everyone in every city that can be used to

smith materials.

steal ingots, steal ore, steal leather, steal jewels steal gold and silver steal specific

dwemer scrap materials (see smelter for which materials will work)

steal animal pelts (for the leather)

do not pick very many locks, and do not overuse sneak.

if you successfully sneak around shopkeepers and blacksmiths you will lvl

up, and if you pick their pockets also.

if you simply go right in front of the item you want, and crouch and wait

until hidden, then steal, you will gain very little, possibly zero points

towards sneak skill.

items that have been smithed of stolen materials are not themselves stolen

materials.

finally, at every stable there is a wagoner that will take you to the

capitols of skyrim instantly. (days will pass)

Edited by agno