Support the Nexus not steem

Randaworgie

Did I miss something? The last thing I read was that CK will have Steamwork integration, end of story. Did I miss the part about being able to charge for mods, did I miss the part where Steamworks became mandatory? Or is that just people screaming fire as soon as someone lights a cigarette? I don't want to sound aggresive but this whole deal sounds rather paranoid to me. "We are going to integrate a service to make distribution and downloading of mods easier" "You want to destroy our Modding Scene" ... somehow that sounds like "We are now giving every player a free life size chocolate dragon with this purchase." "You want us to get diabetes and die". And no I am not a fanboy, I am sceptical about where this will lead too, I am just saying, lets look where that leads instead of assuming that Bethesda is trying to destroy us. If naturally I missed a press release about that I will be happy to read through it and overthink my point of view.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I miss something? The last thing I read was that CK will have Steamwork integration, end of story. Did I miss the part about being able to charge for mods, did I miss the part where Steamworks became mandatory? Or is that just people screaming fire as soon as someone lights a cigarette? I don't want to sound aggresive but this whole deal sounds rather paranoid to me. "We are going to integrate a service to make distribution and downloading of mods easier" "You want to destroy our Modding Scene" ... somehow that sounds like "We are now giving every player a free life size chocolate dragon with this purchase." "You want us to get diabetes and die". And no I am not a fanboy, I am sceptical about where this will lead too, I am just saying, lets look where that leads instead of assuming that Bethesda is trying to destroy us. If naturally I missed a press release about that I will be happy to read through it and overthink my point of view.

Reading the contribution agreement they have clearly stated that they reserve the right to sell anything you post on the steam workshop, read 2: licenses and 3: payment.

If Steam is going to get money for its "workshop" by asking us to pay for popular mods, or if it will force us to upload mods there, then I can only say goodbye Steam, goodbye Skyrim. No way I am falling to this s**t. Modders, in my opinion, if they want money, should only get donations. Infact, if I was someone who made a popular mod, I will not put a price tag on it. I would keep it free, because everyone would have the ability to use it. If I wanted money, I would ask for donations.

This is my simple personal opinion regarding this. You give them everything in return for nothing. They say "we might" give you something, but that's a very thin might and chances for that to actualy happen are almost null. When a popular mod is shared over at their workshop, they'll find a way to make a similar one that will actualy work with their workshop, or at least work better(more stable) and there's this:

You grant to Valve a worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, assignable right and license to (a) use, copy, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, modify, and create derivative works from Your Contribution in any media, (b) identify you as the source of the Contribution, and © sublicense these rights, to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law.

OMFG!! They pretty much used every single word available in the dictionary to clarify that.

Edited by Pushkatu

You give them everything in return for nothing.

This is what I fear. A very popular mod gets downloaded a lot. Valve puts a price tag on it. Modder does not get anything in return, or modder does not want to have a price on it. Since the mod is now pay to download - it would be illegal to distribute on other websites, like the Nexus (unless the modder takes it back from Valve). Am I on the right track?

This is my simple personl opinion regarding this. You give them everything in return for nothing. They say "we might" give you something, but that's a very thin might and chances for that to actualy happen are almost null. When a popular mode is shared over at their workshop, they'll find a way to make a similar one that will actualy work with their workshop, or at least work better(more stable) and there's this:

You grant to Valve a worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, assignable right and license to (a) use, copy, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, modify, and create derivative works from Your Contribution in any media, (b) identify you as the source of the Contribution, and © sublicense these rights, to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law.

OMFG!! They pretty much used every single word available in the dictionary to clarify that.

So basicaly, they can copy your mod, make it work with their workshop and then distribute trough it and earn cash?

Nice scheme.

This is my simple personl opinion regarding this. You give them everything in return for nothing. They say "we might" give you something, but that's a very thin might and chances for that to actualy happen are almost null. When a popular mode is shared over at their workshop, they'll find a way to make a similar one that will actualy work with their workshop, or at least work better(more stable) and there's this:

So basicaly, they can copy your mod, make it work with their workshop and then distribute trough it and earn cash?

Nice scheme.

Exactly.

You give them everything in return for nothing.

This is what I fear. A very popular mod gets downloaded a lot. Valve puts a price tag on it. Modder does not get anything in return, or modder does not want to have a price on it. Since the mod is now pay to download - it would be illegal to distribute on other websites, like the Nexus (unless the modder takes it back from Valve). Am I on the right track?

I guess that would be the worst case scenario...but then again if they piss people off they stop doing mods at all or only on private closed websites, they wouldnt get much from that, but they definately speculate on something it seems.

It's a war zone people. They throw things at us and see how we react to each new "improvement" they come up with. I know these things have been mentioned before and will probably be mentioned again over and over, but when you show someone only one side of the coin, you can expect that someone to speculate and have doubts. Looking at how people are reacting and by this I mean not reacting(the vast majority of them anyway), they can afford to throw anything, test this, test that, with the money we pay them. Steam doesn't work? No problem, we'll use something different next time, 4-5 years from now many things can change. They want control, becouse they seek up opportunities to make more profit. With Oblivion, they have only released a couple DLCs and they realised even small "gifts" can make profit. With only a handfull of mods they can make more money than with a copy of the game on release date, if a mod costs only 0.50-1$. That's why they want more control over mods. Again, personal opinion, if you don't agree just let it be and move on.

Cheers and beers,

Pushkatu!

I doubt the steam workshop would try to control a mod's distribution if the creator did not agree. The author would just drop his support of it, and bugs would never get fixed. But Bethesda may have other ways of enticing modders to use their system besides paying, like rewarding contributors with advanced or exclusive copies of DLCs and content.