Support the Nexus not steem

Randaworgie

its about time beth did this, hopefully it will make installing mods easier

most mods are "take files and drop to x location". If that is to difficult I really wonder what easy means.

Mods are fan made free Art. They are sometimes flawed, sometimes difficult, sometimes complex, sometimes senseless, sometimes even useless, sometimes just for fun, sometimes childish and sometimes to "adult", they are just fan made modifications. You and me never had and never have a "godgiven" Right to mods. We dont have a right for a mod to be usefull, we dont have a right for a mod to be easy, we dont have a right for a mod to make sense because they are made by gamers for THEMSELVES primarily. We are lucky, that some of these modders do share with us, that way we get crazy things that no company in this world could publish because of Laws, religious feelings, restrictions etc. We are blessed by freedom of choice.

Publishers have allready the System that you want, its called DLCs. If they start charging money....or not even charging money but if they start regulating mods then mods will become DLCs which effectively means, that modding gets sacrificed for an "expanded DLC System".

I am sorry that you have such difficulty with installing mods, i do wish that everybody be able to use them but if "installation difficulties" is the price I have to pay for artistic freedom, I gladly pay it. I forfeit a chance to play the greatest mod in history of mankind to keep modding the way it is today, free Artworks and expressions of mind from gamers for gamers.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read this entire thread with some wry smiles.

The TOS seem to make it impossible for any one person or group to make money except Steam/Valve.

In short....

They OWN your Mod the moment you submit it.

IF they decide to alter, charge or just bury it you have no rights.

IF they decide to sell it UNCHANGED then skimmed off from the top goes all the costs (shared between all modders ?) of their legitimate costs...you know the score.....Offices cars lunches etc.

Better stop now...I feel a rant coming on.

Myself I think this is bad

I dislike having to use applications other than the game itself when I play a game.

Looking at the way steam and beth have made it so you NEED steam to play Skyrim with the first update they made.

I can well envisage that to use a mod you get from steam you will also need STEAM running.

For me steam is a tool I want to use to buy and download a game onto my PC

Not something I want running in the background telling me what I can or can not do

For me steam is a tool I want to use to buy and download a game onto my PC

Not something I want running in the background telling me what I can or can not do

+1

I've always loathed steam. Caused nothing but problems for me over many years.

Down with steam, up with NEXUS!

I will use whatever service gets me the best content, be it pay or free. This will almost certainly mean using both as modders use one or the other (or both) to host their creations.

A few people in the thread questioned the difficulty installing mods - yes using one mod is generally drag and drop files, but when folks get large amounts of mods they can sometimes be a pain to get working together. If it was as easy as folks are saying, Wrye Bash would not need to exist. It does because sometimes the mods need finessing and load orders and editing .ini files - to get them working. If any party can make that automatic with a mouse click I would happily pay for the service. The Nexus tool will hopefully move that direction in the future.

I, for one, wouldn't mind making "donations" to modders here at nexus. Bethesda and Oblivion owe much of their success to this community modders. It has always bothered me that anyone would try to control what I do or don't with something I've paid for, I am already bored with Skyrim and all it's bugs and I'm quite pissed with Steam. Skyrim needs some heavy modding in order to even come close to Oblivion's success and unless the tools are released to modders not attached to Steam, the game will go into history as many others have, while there will still be people playing Oblivion. So far Steam has nothing to offer me, but crashes and trouble, and as for Skyrim, well I've already said I'm getting increasingly bored with it. It is a shame for I waited very long for the game to come outt with high expectancies and bought the boxed version just so that I wouldn't have to bother with Steam and it turned out that I'm so "steamed up" that I can kill someone for it. Thanks for the chance of expressing how i feel, since evrytime some opens a thread at the Bethesda or Steam forums trying to complain they are automatically censored and attacked. I really like for the game to grow as it has a nice engine, but it needs heavy work. Still I have hope that Bethesda will come to it's senses and i don't have to wait a year or two to really enjoy the game. "Long live Oblivion and this community modders"

I'll probably use both services if the workshop is worthwhile and doesn't do anything bizarre to alienate modders. I'm not given to throwing my hands in the air and running around hysterically claiming that the sky is falling, so instead, I'll wait and see. Might be nice to be able to manage my mods from Steam. Chances are the Nexus manager will still be better though.

Bottom line is how the service treats the people that make the mods. If it doesn't create impediments for them and makes their work easily accessible, I'm in favour of it.

This will always be my sole place for mods. If there's a mod I have to get on Steam because its just not here, I'll always ask the author nicely to mirror it here at here.

Nexus is the heart of the community, we cant let big bucks and their invasive software take over the place.

The only way Steamworkshop will threaten the Nexus is if it is a truely exemplary service, free of charge, with an easy to use interface. The odds of that are pretty slim, so i think worrying about it is, in fact, overly parinoid.

What i may do, however, is offer a reasonably simple system for the multitude of new players to tinker with things and expand their horizons. I tend to think of it as more of an P-12 school for modders, whereas the Nexus is the university level.