Support the Nexus not steem

Randaworgie

As a modder, I am concerned with the prospect of a steam mod manager that makes current and in development managers here at the nexus inoperable with steam games. As well as the prospect of people being able to grab a mod upload it on steamworks and say it is their work when it is infact someone elses'.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know Bethesda is pushing for mods on consoles, this is their first step towards that. If they prove they can manage content that is uploaded to Steam, to a Microsoft standard, they can push forward with their plan. Good for console gamers as they get pretty much unlimited user made content. Although if they carry on following the trend of controlling mods and content, they could make the future CK's Steam exclusive. Not good.

In the meantime, the Nexus will always be what it always was. It's not just a Mod Hosting site, It's an encyclopaedia of knowledge. People come here to learn how to mod. We share ideas and inspire others to go and make new things.

I've always avoided buying games attached to steam. This time I bought a box version at the store (knowing I could have saved some money if purchased online) precisely becaused I thought i would get a clean version not attached to Steam. I should have read more about it to find out. In any case I bought the game same day it came out and my very first situation with Steam then was a news update from them telling players we couldn't access their forums becaused it had been hacked. Do anyoneelse here remember that happening? Well, I think that says enough in its own as to what to expect from steam. Now steam not only messes with my playing Skyrim, but is also affecting my other games, and evrytime I'm going to shut down my computer, there it is, the only freaking thing running in the background that i have to wait for it to close. Man, F... Steam and Bethesda too.

After reading the title of this thread, I feel like I should be supporting you and your education fund.

Do you guys really believe that modding for consoles is something that is going to work any time soon? I am no console player so I have no idea how it is working but I doubt they have "real" access to a file system, or do they? So they would require some kind of system that checks every mod's folder and filestructure to see if it fits the deault one. What if modders add custom files and folders? They will also need some mechanism to check esp/esm files for custom files and folders and compare them to the actual mod folder structure. Also what about texture mods? Do you really think a console will be able to handle textures 5 times the size of the original ones? I don't think so.

Modding for consoles imo will be limited and basic at first. But who knows, maybe I'll be surprised, after all I probably wouldn't be able to build a telegraph today and they did that around 1800...

I still don't see how some automatic installer in the Steam workshop is going to account for all the conflicts mods cause. Sure there are simple mods that just add an armor set to a vendor and consist of nothing more than a .esp, mesh, and texture folder but hell even those can conflict with things. I think when we get some real beefy stuff similar to Deadly Reflexes, Better Cities, Midas Magic, Unique Landscapes, etc. in Skyrim all these people that know nothing about modding are going to download all these things off the workshop and complain that their game is ruined. In the end even with tools like OBMM and BOSS it takes an individual with the knowledge of how to blend all these diverse file paths and conflicts together in working harmony.

I wouldn't say the Nexus is tight knit by any means but authors here are generally willing to work with people to resolve issues pertaining to their mods. You can also on the forums or simply by asking people here find out how to do pretty much anything pertaining to mods or modding if you don't know what you are doing. I just don't think Steam is going to be able to offer that. Even if both host the same mods the Nexus brings an already established community, knowledge, and experience the workshop is going to lack. The Nexus is going to be fine.

I still don't see how some automatic installer in the Steam workshop is going to account for all the conflicts mods cause. Sure there are simple mods that just add an armor set to a vendor and consist of nothing more than a .esp, mesh, and texture folder but hell even those can conflict with things. I think when we get some real beefy stuff similar to Deadly Reflexes, Better Cities, Midas Magic, Unique Landscapes, etc. in Skyrim all these people that know nothing about modding are going to download all these things off the workshop and complain that their game is ruined. In the end even with tools like OBMM and BOSS it takes an individual with the knowledge of how to blend all these diverse file paths and conflicts together in working harmony.

I wouldn't say the Nexus is tight knit by any means but authors here are generally willing to work with people to resolve issues pertaining to their mods. You can also on the forums or simply by asking people here find out how to do pretty much anything pertaining to mods or modding if you don't know what you are doing. I just don't think Steam is going to be able to offer that. Even if both host the same mods the Nexus brings an already established community, knowledge, and experience the workshop is going to lack. The Nexus is going to be fine.

This is going to be a serious problem, unless Steam have come up with some magical conflict resolving system then people are going to end up with broken games and it will be modders who end up getting the blame.

You give them everything in return for nothing.

This is what I fear. A very popular mod gets downloaded a lot. Valve puts a price tag on it. Modder does not get anything in return, or modder does not want to have a price on it. Since the mod is now pay to download - it would be illegal to distribute on other websites, like the Nexus (unless the modder takes it back from Valve). Am I on the right track?

That is a pretty bad worst-case scenario. If I were to make a pretty large mod (like OOO for example), I would never upload it to steamworks.

I also concur with the paypal donation button option. Nothing wrong with rewarding the people who make exceptional mods. I don't do a whole lot of donating but I would donate to people who put in a lot of hard work and time and it is one of the mods that I have to install right away if I ever need to reinstall skyrim.

I'll be honest: I'll try out a mod or two from steamworks and see how it compares. I've used nexus over the years but if there's a mod on steamworks and not here that I want, I'll get it from there. Also I'd be looking to compare the mod manager experience. Nexus is updating the NMM a lot, but it's still quite an iffy experience. Nexus needs to standardize versions somehow. Mods like the 4gb patch also don't work when activating through NMM.

Nothing wrong with some competition I suppose. I know in the end the community here is way too much of a pro to outweigh any cons vs steamworks.

Wow, I am surprised to see that much Valve/Steam hate here. I don't see how this could be a problem at all, it is just another(and hopefully more streamlined) way to install mods.

And about the whole "making money off mods thing". First of all, there isn't even any information that mods are gonna cost money(the EULA only say that Steam has the right to, not that Steam is going to). And it is very unlikely that if it will cost money that modders will receive nothing(Valve do have an image to protect). And if modders do receive money for mods on the Workshop, that's great. I see no reason to complain. Mods are a product, you pay to get that product. If anything you should feel lucky that most of the mods are free nowadays, I don't see why some people claim to have the right to receive mods for free.