Seviche's Rules for Roleplaying

Seviche

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think sprinting (and swimming) shouldn't be allowed with heavy armours but the "running suit" doesn't sound like a good idea to me. You may not be wearing the heavy armour, but carrying a plate mail in your backpack is not much of an improvement (it may be less cumbersome but it still weighs the same).

Make it that the player HAS to have a horse or follower with them to offload the armour...otherwise no, they would soon screw their back up permanently carrying it with them.

When I'm playing pen and paper RPGs I tend to rely on heavy armours in certain circumstances and have characters use light armours on most occasions. If your character is going to take part in a large battle in an open field then it's a good idea to get a strong and heavy armour but if you need to be move around and be light on your feet then you're better off with leather or no armour at all.

I agree. The environment as much determines what armour to use as does the enemies...I think being stuck with light armour and suddenly having to take on a a plethora of enemies is great. You either fight or get your ass outta there. No quick-switching to your other armour.

That's where horses come into play. You can have a character on a horse wearing a heavy armour and still be able to move very fast. It's fine as long as you remember that in medieval times when armours became too heavy they started using a winch to get knights on their horses... ;)

But you should also take into account that your horse will be worn down and require rest & drink, food...you can't ride a horse from whiterun to windhelm and not stop. The horse would die from exhaustion.

I don't think walking around is much of an improvement because it only makes the game incredibly slow paced. It's a personal bias but I don't see how it makes it more immersive. In real life I don't mind running or walking very fast when I'm in a hurry and I don't see why I shouldn't do that in a game (unless my character has a good reason not to be running of course).

I think it depends on the player, you are so right! But I love walking around cities and even roads, just taking in the scenery - I literally stared at a stream and watched a waterfall for 20minutes, lol. And that big tree near Kynesgrove in the cave, I was there for around 45mins just looking... I personally don't sprint/run normally -all the time- in a marketplace IRL, people stare and security gets suspicious.

Some things to think on:

Heavy armour in the game really is not practical IRL (and yes Im bringing real life in since this an RP thread), mainly because full-plate which is what a lot of these models are, was only used by knights in mounted combat. They type that was used for foot-based combat is field-plate or half plate which was mixed with chain mail. It covered only parts of the body, like the front of the legs, the hips, chest, shoulders and the like. You could easily jog in this stuff for short distances.

All those movies where you see hordes of guys charging across a field in full plate armour? Thats just Hollywood being their usual stupid self. It just looks good in movies.

So... I would suggest that the walking in heavy plate armour rule be modified to reflect this. Otherwise I think its a fairly good list. :) I do a lot of it already.

Some things to think on:

Heavy armour in the game really is not practical IRL (and yes Im bringing real life in since this an RP thread), mainly because full-plate which is what a lot of these models are, was only used by knights in mounted combat. They type that was used for foot-based combat is field-plate or half plate which was mixed with chain mail. It covered only parts of the body, like the front of the legs, the hips, chest, shoulders and the like. You could easily jog in this stuff for short distances.

All those movies where you see hordes of guys charging across a field in full plate armour? Thats just Hollywood being their usual stupid self. It just looks good in movies.

So... I would suggest that the walking in heavy plate armour rule be modified to reflect this. Otherwise I think its a fairly good list. :) I do a lot of it already.

That's why you're allowed to sprint, but not run (jog) when traveling. Perhaps I worded it poorly.

I'm glad you like it! Thanks for the input!

Simple, heavy armor isn't meant for traveling.

right, so don't use it for travelling. change into something lighter when travelling long distances and you'll actually go faster. the game already supports this. if the speed penalty isn't enough, mod it up i say. but i'll be damned if i'm going to slowly pace around tombs, barrows and whatnot because i happen to be wearing heavy armor at the time, that i brought along specifically for being in a dangerous place..

in any case, what about the conditioning perk ?

to buy a horse, an item for which there is no real reason to purchase... except that you want a horse.

until we get some form of mounted combat, there's still no reason to use a horse, regardless of speed penalties. having to slowly dismount while wolves and bandits are biting your ankles is just silly. skyrim fails here, and horses suck. it's going to take some extensive modding to fix

Edited by WarKirby3333

Just something I want to throw out there about how I sleep:

If it's night time and an inn is nearby, go rent a room and rest - unless you just slept. I always make sure to get around 9 hours of sleep in game when I'm sitting around the cities. Bed by 10-12, up at 7-8. If I go into a dungeon, it's early in the day and I normally get out at around 1am, then I hit the nearest inn and rest for a day or so. Same goes for heavy traveling. At most I I try to sleep every 2 days - thus keeping me in a city for around 3 days before heading out again.

It's hard to keep a strict sleep schedule with no Essential Needs mod, but still something to use.

Can't wait until we get that CK -.- I want a campsite like Oblivion.

I endorse most of these, but as others have said, walking is unrealistically slow.

Its like slow motion, If I tried walking that slow I think I'd cause unnecessary joint damage unless I took the posture of drunken waddler.

Give me a brisk walk and I'm all for it.

If it's night time and an inn is nearby, go rent a room and rest - unless you just slept. I always make sure to get around 9 hours of sleep in game when I'm sitting around the cities. Bed by 10-12, up at 7-8. If I go into a dungeon, it's early in the day and I normally get out at around 1am, then I hit the nearest inn and rest for a day or so. Same goes for heavy traveling. At most I I try to sleep every 2 days - thus keeping me in a city for around 3 days before heading out again.

It's hard to keep a strict sleep schedule with no Essential Needs mod, but still something to use.

That's sensible but nine hours is way too much. I don't know about you but I never sleep more than 6 hours in real life. ;)

That's sensible but nine hours is way too much. I don't know about you but I never sleep more than 6 hours in real life. ;)

Average adult only needs 6 hours (minimum), any less and you will become sleep deprived, no matter how much caffeine you have :P