Upgrading System Specs

My current system is:

Intel Pentium 4 531 Prescott (Yes only one core)

Kingston DDR1 2048MB (2x1)

and the NVidia GeForce 9400GT

I'm upgrading my computer so I can be updated with game Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

I'm buying the following customized system:

ASUS P8P67

Intel Core i5 - 2300 2.8 GHZ SK1155 6MB

Kingston HYPERX Kit 6GB (3x 2GB) DDR3 1600MHz

This will be the essential components for gaming (aside from the box, dvd player, etc.)

But now I have a question for my graphics card, I currently own:

Nvidia GeForce 9400GT

Core: 650 MHz

Shaders: 1625 MHz

Memory Size: 1024 MB

Bus Width: 128 bits

I haven't got much money left for another graphics card, so I was wondering if I'm going to be able to play Skyrim with High graphics with this system specs.

I can play Skyrim well without much lag with low settings with my current specs (only outdoors the game breaks a bit, and lags a bit more when there are many NPC's fighting).

Edited by jamesphillip1989

Nvidia GeForce 9400GT

I haven't got much money left for another graphics card, so I was wondering if I'm going to be able to play Skyrim with High graphics with this system specs.

the video card is the single most important factor in determining game performance (ignores the flames)

using this card will not give you any performance gain over your current system.

Thanks for the tips...Actually skyrim runs on my current spec in low with a bit lag not much, but low graphics settings...

I've been browsing the internet for another graphics card meanwhile and I'm divided between two of them.

GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB (233€ DARN... too expensive... must control self)

and....

Radeon HD6670 1GB (95€)

Darn again, I've been browsing this: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:System_Requirements

and between the two of them is quite a gap. Dunno which one to choose... ARGHH

if you really wanna upgrade your PC, dont just find whatever is cheapest that might barely get you by, cause youll find yourself needed to upgrade again very soon and in the long run spend more money.

save up your money, get the 560 Ti. it will last you a hell of a lot longer then the other GPU. itll be a while yet before the 560 because the minimum requirement for games.

also you dont need to get a 560ti either. like samadchaz said, try looking in the 400 series. a little bit cheaper and not quite as powerful, but will hold u over still a little longer then really cheap GPUs....also like (s)he (sorry not sure which you are samadchaz) you might need to consider a new PSU which will run you anywhere from $50-$100. also another area where you dont want to buy the cheapest one out there. as a crappy PSU could mean :nuke: to your whole system.

well im not sure on saving money front but so far i always did it like this buy good pc and then forget about it for 5-6 years. pc on what im working now is 5-6 years old atleast (thats why im looking for new one) but even now it can run skyrim on hightest guality. I think if you always buy cheapest parts they get old very fast and you end up paying more money, like first you buy some cheap gpu, you get 600-700 wats psu for it, then you upgrade in like 6 months and get 800 psu for it, and then you upgrade again and get 1000 psu for it, and soo oon and so oon.

easyer to get 1200-1500 psu from the start and forget about psu's for like x years. Tho this all is individual, if you dont have money for it you obviosly cant get it :(

Btw it great effect on gpu holds at what resolution you play, if you got like 15" monitor forget about expensive card.

Thanks for all the tips, actually I think I'll be sticking to the GTX 560 Ti this time. The only problem is, as you already said multiple times, that besides the GPU I'll need to buy a new PSU probably, because the one that I already own has 600W, and the guy at the computer store said he didn't know if that was enough for the new GPU.

ASUS P8P67

Intel Core i5 - 2300 2.8 GHZ SK1155 6MB

Kingston HYPERX Kit 6GB (3x 2GB) DDR3 1600MHz

NVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB

Probably I'll have to spend another extra 60-70 euros in a new PSU adding up to the 233 euros of the GPU. The original budget for the new spec was 483 euros (PC Case, MBoard, CPU, RAM, Assembly and Config) now it's 716 euros with the GPU (without PSU).

Good thing is my thirtheenth salary, or christmas bonus, is coming up December 15th, or else I wouldn't be able to buy all this now.

I own a 22'5 inch LCD monitor, so the new GPU is going to be a great addition.