What happened to the Silly Level of Detail potions mod?

Grub

Due to the overwhelming demand, I decided to upload the files to MegaUpload:

SLoD PnP (12.37 MB as 7-zip archive Ultra compression):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2YMQKSJK

SLoD WC (3.68 MB as 7-zip archive Ultra compression):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2S6GUK16

Should those links stop working at some point in time, you are of course free to ask me for them again. Enjoy! =)

man can you please reupload the files, the links are down :(

Weird... o.O Those links work for me. Maybe there's a problem with MegaUpload sometimes? >.< Do you guys have a better idea for an upload place?

Anyways, should MegaUpload not work for you, please write me a message and provide your email address and I'll send it to you that way.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to the overwhelming demand, I decided to upload the files to MegaUpload:

SLoD PnP (12.37 MB as 7-zip archive Ultra compression):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2YMQKSJK

SLoD WC (3.68 MB as 7-zip archive Ultra compression):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2S6GUK16

Should those links stop working at some point in time, you are of course free to ask me for them again. Enjoy! =)

man can you please reupload the files, the links are down :(

Weird... o.O Those links work for me. Maybe there's a problem with MegaUpload sometimes? >.< Do you guys have a better idea for an upload place?

Anyways, should MegaUpload not work for you, please write me a message and provide your email address and I'll send it to you that way.

yep man, I can confrim that they are working now..

must be something either on my side or with megaupload...

anyway, thanks a lot mate, I finally get it in one piece ))

its probably because he made BOATloads of money, serious dollars upwards of a few thousand (speculating here), because he had a donate here button, and his mod was so hot it was on the front page, generating Hundreds of Thousands of hits, and tens of thousands of downloads..

at that point you might start to have reservations i guess, profiting from modding a few little textures... but.. thats what Steamworkshop will let us do soon anyways no?

ah well

but.. thats what Steamworkshop will let us do soon anyways no?

Steamworks is not purported to be a "store" for modders to "sell" their mods, it's just supposed to be a way for modders to easily publish their mods publicly to the masses that use Steam and make it easy for them to just select and let Steam do the rest. Turning it into a store will cause a boat load of legal issues that I don't think even Bethsoft wants to deal with at this point in time.

its probably because he made BOATloads of money, serious dollars upwards of a few thousand (speculating here), because he had a donate here button, and his mod was so hot it was on the front page, generating Hundreds of Thousands of hits, and tens of thousands of downloads..

at that point you might start to have reservations i guess, profiting from modding a few little textures... but.. thats what Steamworkshop will let us do soon anyways no?

ah well

In that case one could say that it is still heartwarming to see folk still reserve some form of a conscience. Nevertheless, I resent putting a support button for modifcations that I myself would have put little effort in to create. I always felt that the free trade of information and creation was what made the modding community so great. It's seems the more it has gained attention, the more abuse and profitering surface with it. With that in mind I dare to say that his actions of removing his modifications from the public is indeed selfish, even if one would give it the purpose of "unable to be supported". I acknowledge he has every right and I do indeed respect that, yet I cannot disbelieve my feelings of resentment towards it.

Just wanted to put in a little damage control. Some of the textures he was using, he got from me, and used them with full permission even though apparently there were complaints regarding this from someone, or multiple people... no clue. That said, he is currently redoing many of the textures himself so he doesn't have to rely on using any images from anyone else, which is perfectly understandable. Give him time, his outstanding works will be back. :)

Thanks, Mr. Dave. You continue being a help :)

Well, guys, I understand the feelings everyone has. To be short, I will re-release them tomorrow in the exact same form they were in before I took them down (purely because I haven't had a chance to remake them from scratch).

Regarding tomorrow's re-release: They'll be the same. I will be making new ones that I had intended to get out before Christmas.

Regarding the donations I made (and gave back): It wasn't more than $100. Let alone in the thousands. Regardless, it was all given back because I was uneasy I made *any* money at all in textures that were only ~90% mine. The other 10% involved stock photographs I modified to include in my textures. I put the donations link up in desperation for the loans I had looming overhead and thought it could help out. The more I thought about it, the more I hated receiving money for anything that was only 90% my own.

Regarding pulling them down: I removed them because I panicked. I agree with everyone's feelings; it was selfish. I received a bunch of small donations, really quickly, and it wasn't until I got them that I realized I couldn't accept them if the work wasn't 100% my own (90% doesn't count, for me and my conscience). I also did pull them down because I thought I wouldn't be able to support them; I recently had a lot going on due to being jobless, having recently graduated from college and especially having to find a way to make these school loan payments. Life's rough right now. I selfishly brought them down for both reasons listed: I needed an "out" button. I didn't like the fact that every single piece wasn't entirely my own, but thought I didn't have the time to rework them currently. So I wanted to hit the emergency stop button and find time later to rework and repost them.

Regarding "getting in trouble": I didn't. In fact, if I would have said nothing, no one would ever have done anything. It was entirely myself. 100% entirely me and how I felt. There were no copyright issues (there couldn't be; any "stock" I use in anything is free license -- I make sure of that ahead of time). There was absolutely no copyright issues. I would prefer not to borrow anything in the future though, because I want to take 100% of the credit for things I release.

I understand many modders borrow stock images (that's why stock images are made -- to save creators time) but it doesn't sit well with me. It was fine at first, because I didn't think more than 10 people would download it and I was only making them as practice since texturing is new to me. I had absolutely no idea their popularity would balloon and I would get so much praise. It started to make me feel sick (In college research, the idea of plagiarism and it's consequences can make one feel sick). While I realize that borrowing stock to use in some of my textures, completely legally, isn't plagiarism, it still personally feels gross. No matter if I credit what little I borrow, it doesn't feel right (as most people don't even bother reading the credits and direct all of the praise to me).

If I'm going to receive all the praise, everything better be completely my own.

So, again, I'll release the same mods tomorrow (I'm away for the holidays, but I'll make the small trip to repost them). People are sharing them anyway, and there's no reason not to just repost them and get over my uneasiness about borrowing stock photos long enough to remake them.

I'm sorry for leaving a bad taste in anyone's mouth by removing them so abruptly. I really had *no* idea something as small as potion textures would be such a hit and be so missed. I realize I made these mistakes and I understand if anyone thinks badly of me now. I hope my future mods will rectify my misgivings and I want to start over. I'm going to start by remaking the textures from scratch (however, this means some textures like "Ornate" will be practically impossible to recreate due to it being a photograph of some strange glass I personally don't have on hand and I'm unsure how such a texture can be remade in photoshop). The wine mod IS my own, minus the wicker I borrowed from Mr. Dave above. I made those textures from scratch. Those will remain unchanged. I'm really happy with mine and Mr. Dave's relationship, and am comfortable using resources made by him. Maybe I'll just have to compromise with myself and my stupidly high level of conscientiousness. Maybe I'll just recreate what I can myself (which includes ceramic), and leave, as is, what I can't while just crediting the other textures to those who provided the stock I used in their creation.

Regardless, starting tomorrow, everyone will have the potion and poison textures and wine textures made available to them again, and I'll try my hardest to recreate what I can myself.

From there, I plan to continue what I have currently been working on: modeling. I didn't plan on disappearing forever. I planned to come back with a vengeance as a modeler for the community since the community has far less modelers but plenty of texturers. I like modeling more, anyway. I'm far better at that than texturing, I think, and I can't be tempted to borrow anything for models since resources for models don't really exist; everything made is completely my own.

I can't stress enough that I brought them down because of a weird and extreme sense of conscience I have. Most (normal) people wouldn't have thought twice about using resources in their mods. That's what resources are for. For some weird reason, I just don't like getting any praise (especially the amount I got) if what I made wasn't completely made by me.

Best,

Narmix

Edited by Narmix