Thousands of downloads but nothing uploaded

uedftus

ok so just wondering about this for a while.... I make primarily modder resources for Fallout 4. Weapons, some props, etc. Some items textured, others not. I have some pretty popular downloaded models, guns and stuff with a combined amount of over 1000 downloads but I've never seen my stuff used in a mod and uploaded to the site.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/users/1823652/?tb=mods&pUp=1

What do you think is going on? People just hoarding free 3d assets or what?? I look at the Fallout4 Weapons section on the nexus often and see new original content (jealous of course) but no one ever using my free stuff. Ideas?

Thanks and just want to get others views on this. Sorta feel like I'm wasting my time trying to help folks

I went and looked at your mod list and you do have lots of downloads. However those downloads are primarily spread across like 50 files or so. Some only have maybe 20 DL while one had over 800. Some people just like to check things out, play with them..sit on them a while then will use it in something. Some people won't. Some just will use it for their own self. With the amount of DL you have per mod you may not see the results immediately or maybe at all.

With a game with as many mods, mod users and downloaders you may not see these things immediately. Even if half the people that downloaded your mods used them in an upload...there are alot of F4 mods in the world.

Share because you want to. Share because it makes you happy to do so. Don't share if you have some pre-ordained thoughts on how it will play out. Modders tend to be happier when they make something they like then share it, just because. Not making something with the express idea to sharing it to see your name in credits somewhere.

I went and looked at your mod list and you do have lots of downloads. However those downloads are primarily spread across like 50 files or so. Some only have maybe 20 DL while one had over 800. Some people just like to check things out, play with them..sit on them a while then will use it in something. Some people won't. Some just will use it for their own self. With the amount of DL you have per mod you may not see the results immediately or maybe at all.

Elaborating on this further. In my own experience working on a mod project (in the distant past) I had downloaded dozens of mod assets, bookmarked others. What would happen is that while in the planning phase I would look at what sorts of assets were available for a given type of addition, look at how well the assets function, how I like their appearance, if their appearance matches what I'm planning on, ect. Even then, I might not actually use what I found, either in finding something better, realizing that I would have to make similar assets myself, or changing my plans completely. That said, if the project never reaches a point where it is in a released and playable state, there really isn't indication to the person who has created those assets that they have been used. There are also people who are not actually working on mods, but who entertain the idea of starting a mod project, spend hours collecting assets, realize they don't have what they need, and drop the idea.

In addition to looking at other mod hosting sites, I would still suggest looking at the Second Life marketplace (especially if you don't use the service). Unfortunately a large number of 3d assets seem to find themselves there, uploaded by people who then convert and try to sell them for profit. As the author of these assets you can file a DMCA takedown request against the uploader who has taken your assets and both distributed and attempted to sell them. Similar to other sites which has a sales aspect and a 3d model basis, it is often only the original author of these assets who can file this request with it accomplishing anything. It's unfortunate, and can really be upsetting, but it is a fact of how the digital medium works.

well if people are using them why haven't I seen anything on bethesda mods or falloutnexus? i mean i check often but if people really do use it I'm not seeing it

is the SecondLife on here or is that a seperate webiste?

well if people are using them why haven't I seen anything on bethesda mods or falloutnexus? i mean i check often but if people really do use it I'm not seeing it

is the SecondLife on here or is that a seperate webiste?

Second Life is a virtual world platform that is not affiliated with this site. When it introduced the ability to import 3d models into the world it enabled a wider range of creation within this platform, but with this also came people who uploaded ripped assets from other games, models from free graphics sites, and pretty much everywhere else including mod hosting sites. Under the terms of use for this platform uploaders are required to obtain permission for the assets, but the system is poorly enforced since only the original author of those assets can make a claim. Things like weapon models seem more likely to be used in this way just because of how plentiful they are and how there is a desire for these kinds of things within that platform.

This was mentioned not to state that it is likely that your assets will be used in this way, but rather that it has happened in the past and that if people are worried about their assets being misused, they should probably look into the matter.

The most likely event is one closer to what Lisn and I have suggested; that assets are being downloaded by either people who are curious about what resources are out there, or who have intentions of making their own mod and are essentially shopping for a desired look. There is also that portion of people who download based on screenshots (sometimes dozens of mods at once) and fail to realize that some of these mods are just resources without any of the glue that might attach them to the actual game world.

• 2 weeks later...