Bad motherboard experience.

Over a month ago I ordered some computer parts with intention of building a new PC for my parents. The first time I assembled it, it worked fine for the first day then failed to post. Complete blackscreen, no bios, no beeps, no hums, no sparks, no burning. The board has a LED element, but it looks to be entirely aesthetic (because for some reason people have tuner cars and PCs confused). I switched out power supply, same thing. I removed the memory and videocard thinking that it was just a display issue, board issued no beeps, no warning lights to suggest that it even went as far as detecting that memory was missing. Sent the board and processor in for RMA.

About a dozen days later I got a replacement motherboard and processor. Hooked up everything again, same problem. No post, no bios, but the LED on the board works so it is still getting power (not useful for determining error code however). RMA'ed again. The motherboard doesn't appear to have many reviews online, not when I originally bought it, nor since then. It was however not a cheepo motherboard, so I shouldn't have expected this to be a common problem.

Another dozen days later I'm now sitting with another motherboard and processor of the same make and model. Should I take the risk of the motherboard damaging the processor or other components (now that everything else is past the return period) in hopes that what I have will actually work? Or should I just get a refund for the Motherboard and go with a different manufacturer?

I've lost a month on this, will probably have to buy a new copy of Windows no matter what (was installed with the first board that only worked for a day). So no matter what I am looking at lost time and lost money.

Just trying to get a second opinion and see if there is anything obvious that I somehow messed up on.

Hi,

i build PC since 1998, i've seen thousands of compatibility problems between motherboards, RAMs and videocards, most of them using VIA or AMD chipset, and this is why i use Intel for my PCs.

But also Intel have had issues in the past, and still have some ..... i can remember of boot problems with AGP videocard and with DDR2 memory on old boards with Intel chipset

In your situation it's hard to suggest a solution, also because you did not specify the hardware you're using .....

Anyway, as last solution, if you have lost the "feeling" with the hardware you're using ...... yes, ask for a refund.

Edited by wercoil

Hi,

i build PC since 1998, i've seen thousands of compatibility problems between motherboards, RAMs and videocards, most of them using VIA or AMD chipset, and this is why i use Intel for my PCs.

But also Intel have had issues in the past, and still have some ..... i can remember of boot problems with AGP videocard and with DDR2 memory on old boards with Intel chipset

It isn't an incompatibility issue. The board worked properly for the first day. Booted it, entered bios, everything looked right. Shut down the PC, unplugged it, connected harddrives and put in windows install disc. Plugged it back in, booted from DVD drive, windows installed without a hitch. Memory detected, videocard detected. Rebooted a few times after windows was installed as was needed to setup initial software. No problems. Unplugged the PC, left it for the weekend. Monday, plugged it back in. Black screen. No error messages. No beeps. No unusual smells or sounds. Started troubleshooting. Swapped out power supply. No change. Disconnected everything but processor. None of the usual warning beeps. Unmounted motherboard from case in order to isolate for possible short (breadboarding), no change. Sent back for replacement. Got replacement, hooked everything back up. Did not boot, black screen. No post, no warnings. Pulled everything but processor. Black screen, no post, no warning beeps or lights of any kind.

The motherboard is a very recent model, enough that I could not find any meaningful reviews or mentions of it. The newness of it makes me question if some idiot in the designing process decided that there was no need to include components to signal an error... Just because a slow pulsing LED feature in the board that serves no function is so much "cooler". But that isn't exactly the sort of thing they notate or indicate in the specification booklets.

All I can suggest is to double or triple check that no extra standoffs in the case are shorting the motherboard.

Case has built-in standoffs that are designed for that size of motherboard. The case was previously used with a motherboard with the same size for years without issue. In the case of a short, it would have been fairly obvious in most cases due to hearing sparking, seeing sparks, or the board becoming physically damaged. My effort to breadboard the motherboard was really just my effort to try and solve for all other reasonable explanations. If the case were the source of a short, it shouldn't have booted originally while the second motherboard was DOA.

It's hard to suggest when you not seeing it for yourself. If second new MB malfunctions - it's extremely rare case, but third one? Impossible. I would get setup into service where guys with spare hardware and diagnostic tools can check what's wrong just for the sake of curiosity. Actual MB might not be the plot here, but honestly, considering symptoms I have no idea what else might be...

This one....

If second new MB malfunctions - it's extremely rare case, but third one? Impossible.

Maybe something has gone wrong during the assembly or production process? if this was the case then "you are not alone" and other people will soon report the same issue, the manufacturer will sure provide for free replacement.... at least i hope.
If you are in a hurry and don't want to waste other time, just ask for a refund and change brand / model of MB ....
But what kind of MB is so new that no one talk about it?
Are we talking about hardware built by well known manufacturer or what?

All I can suggest is to double or triple check that no extra standoffs in the case are shorting the motherboard.

Case has built-in standoffs that are designed for that size of motherboard. The case was previously used with a motherboard with the same size for years without issue. In the case of a short, it would have been fairly obvious in most cases due to hearing sparking, seeing sparks, or the board becoming physically damaged. My effort to breadboard the motherboard was really just my effort to try and solve for all other reasonable explanations. If the case were the source of a short, it shouldn't have booted originally while the second motherboard was DOA.

If the standoffs are built-in, it's even more reason to do a careful check for extras. Motherboard form factors are standardized but standoff positions are not, at least not completely, so your first two sentences are relevant to your current problem only if you're installing the same motherboard model that you had before.

Also the presence or absence of sparks or smoke etc depends entirely on what is shorted on a motherboard. More often than not the damage is entirely invisible.

Not a biostar motherboard by any chance? I went thru four of them before I finally gave up, and got something different, that actually worked the first time.

No, ASUS. Which is why I'm surprised there aren't more reviews but this much trouble.