mod organizer overwrite files

majnoon53

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you again!

Yes, I'm following STEP like a Bible. Whatever they saying, I'm following step-by-step, exactly. So... why these "lighting bolts" have appeared? And I know, I checked the Info and I saw the files (conflict that from this mod with that from the other)...

The point is... I don't know what to move - since I don't move anything (yet), I'm letting MO & LOOT to handle the list.

Should I leave them like that? Would the game crash (with these "lighting bolts" on some mods)?... Should I start using NMM (which I know better) instead of MO (which I think is for more experience users)?

So... I figured (found) that when I'm pressing "STEP" guide link and moving to Nexus, that I SOULDN'T press the FIRST (next/under to pictures) "green button" (on top) but to press the "FILES" button (bellow the pictures) and THEN to press that specific "green button" for the specific file "STEP" suggesting!!!

That was my mistake in first place - I was pressing the main (on top) "green button" and I was installing everything...

...So, what am I suppose to do, now? Can I fix these "Overwriting files" (lighting bolts) or... start all over again from the beginning (fresh Skyrim installation, again from start editing the .in files... all of them, from the start)????

WHY "STEP" don't have DETAILED comments on their guide, telling you to SCROLL TO THE FILES and choose from there?
Now that I found it ...after made mistakes... I know.

Why they didn't telling that MORE CLEAR, for newbie modding users???

STEP doesn't tell you how to use the Nexus because the Nexus isn't their site. Furthermore, it is clearly labeled on the Nexus mod pages that there is a files tab. One should experiment with the various links on the site and familiarize oneself to how the site works before blaming a 3rd party for not telling them how to navigate a site that is not theirs.

All the download button on the main page does is downloads the first file in the MAIN FILES section of the files tab. In some cases, that is the file you needed. In other cases, it is not. By using Mod Organizer, you can simply uninstall and remove the incorrect and download and install the correct. For STEP, make sure you drag and drop any that you re-do from the bottom of the left pane to the correct position in relation to the mods in STEP's instructional list.

As far as the lightning bolt icons, you will have those with just about any set of mods. If you are following STEP, you don't need to do anything about it as their instructions have you install the mods in the order in which they want them to appear in the left pane of MO.

Dealing with mods that have the lightning bolt icon becomes more important as you build your own collection of mods. When following someone else's instructions, they should tell you what to do if anything.

Obviously Nexus isn't STEP site.

But wouldn't "hurt" anybody to give DETAILED instructions for "dummies" (newbies).

Thank you so much, you are so helpful person. So, I don't need to worry about the "bolts", since I'm following STEP instruction. Ok.

Also, dear Ishara... since the MO is writing on a "virtual" disk... that's why I DON'T SEE ANYTHING in the launcher, when I select the "Files"; I see only the DLCs...

So, if I wonna TEST the progress so far with the MO... how to do it? Or SHOULDN'T, before I finish?

I'm checking for updates (all), a new tab appears with all mods need update... but where is the button (any) to press and begin the update??? I can't see anything, anywhere... I maybe moron, sorry, but I'm looking everywhere and there isn't anything...

(As a 25+ years professional designer myself - and the last 6 in app UI/UX - I can say that MO's app layout/design suffers big time!)

You need to launch Skyrim through Mod Organizer rather than using Skyrim's default launcher.

In MO above the right pane window there should be a rather large drop down menu, click on it and ensure that Skyrim is selected (should be there by default), then press the run button to the right of it. If you are using SKSE, make sure you pick the SKSE entry instead.

To update a mod, you right click on it and choose to visit the mod page. From there you check the Nexus page and ensure that the file you are using for STEP was actually updated. STEP will have you use some optional files that do not have the same version number as the main file, in these cases you can ignore the update.

These things should have been mentioned in the various videos that you've been linked as they are rather important.