Teeny Bops on Skyrim Nexus

clintmich

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who noticed that there is a new trend that I call 'sugar-coated' trolling?

"Well, your modding skills are unquestionable, but I won't be downloading this mod because it is not lore-friendly, realistic / authentic / it does not fit in to my refined tastes, but if you changed this, that (redesigned the whole thing from scratch) I would certain endorse".

When I'm reading such comments, I always wonder if it has ever occurred to the commenter that

a) the modders usually create something that fits in with their own taste, and then SHARE it with the intention that those whose tastes are similar to the modder's preferences can enjoy it; Obviously there are quite a few modders who enjoy serving the community by taking requests, but I think it should not be the default attitude that a user expects from the a modder.

b) the modders are not on Mr. Commenter's paylist (as a matter of fact, if I were a modder who regularly releases mods, I would explicitly indicate if I'm willing to take requests or not) so saying that "I won't endorse it unless...." is just a waste of forum space (unless, of course, the comment is related to a major bug);

I wouldn't call that trolling. Just a damn clumbsy, near stupid, way of trying to convince you, in what they believe, a polite way to do what they want.

But yeah that type of person is pretty stupid. Should be pretty obvious that most release mods because they are kind enough to share their work they made for themselves. But as always, there are exceptions.

Edit

Just to make things clear, I'm not saying requests is a bad thing as long as it's a request and not a demand/expectation.

Edited by Lhamaria

I'm sort of concerned by some of the hate the Nexus' younger users are getting in this thread. Youth=/=rudeness/trolling. I'm sixteen, but I've been a polite part of this community for years - and I'm sure there are many young people out there like me.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that just because someone is trolling or rude, doesn't mean they are young. Adults are equally capable of immaturity, I assure you. And just because some ill disciplined kids act up, does not mean every young person on the Nexus is a nuisance. Sorry to rant, but I thought it had to be said.

Also, has the Nexus taken on new moderators? I know Dark0ne doesn't want too many moderators, but it's certain that there will be many more members of the forum with Skyrim's release, so wouldn't an increase in moderators be justified? I don't know exactly how many moderators there is currently, but I imagine there is many, many magnitudes more members than moderators now.

I'm sort of concerned by some of the hate the Nexus' younger users are getting in this thread. Youth=/=rudeness/trolling. I'm sixteen, but I've been a polite part of this community for years - and I'm sure there are many young people out there like me.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that just because someone is trolling or rude, doesn't mean they are young. Adults are equally capable of immaturity, I assure you. And just because some ill disciplined kids act up, does not mean every young person on the Nexus is a nuisance. Sorry to rant, but I thought it had to be said.

Also, has the Nexus taken on new moderators? I know Dark0ne doesn't want too many moderators, but it's certain that there will be many more members of the forum with Skyrim's release, so wouldn't an increase in moderators be justified? I don't know exactly how many moderators there is currently, but I imagine there is many, many magnitudes more members than moderators now.

There are more chat moderators, but aside from that, the regular moderators are doing their jobs just fine with the influx of trolls.

You are definitely part of the select few young people that have respect for Nexus. And like you said, there most likely are more young people out there like you. But they are few and far between. As I mentioned before, maybe this thread should have been named: "New Blood on Skyrim Nexus". Because not all of the problems are from the youth, but the New Users. You obviously have been around the Nexus long enough to realize how Nexus Sites work. These new users don't have a clue. And unfortunately the majority of the new users are "teens".

We all know that. I've actually posted a comment to that effect on page two. There are some great teenagers around, no argument on that point. It's just that reading some comments you've got to wonder how old and mature those trolls are... I mean if some of them are grown ups then they seriously lack any of the social skills that any person should have developped before reaching adulthood.

We can't see who is behind the keyboard and I have personally known a person that was by all definition of the word adult, he was older then me, could talk well, was nice, helpful ... all around a nice guy, then I met him online and if I didn't know better I would have either called an exorcist or said he was a 5 year old playing "How much can I flame and insult before I get banned.".

That's the point. People like that think they can get away with anything because they're hiding behind a screen and an IP. In real life anyone who would be as offensive as some of those trolls would get a walloping or at the very least a stern talking to for being such a dick.

If a troll is being childish and immature then it's no wonder that we end up considering that troll as a brat regardless of the actual age of the poster.

If a troll is being childish and immature then it's no wonder that we end up considering that troll as a brat regardless of the actual age of the poster.

Exactly! And you can usually tell by clicking on their profile page as well. If age is set to unknown, most likely your dealing with someone under the age of 16, or your dealing with an immature troll. Trolls and teens don't want you to know how old they are.

Clintmich, I don't think you can take for granted what a profile page says. It's easy for anyone to put any random number in there.

If age is set to unknown, most likely your dealing with someone under the age of 16, or your dealing with an immature troll. Trolls and teens don't want you to know how old they are.

My profile says "unknown" but that doesn't mean I'm under 16. What it means is that I'm sensitive about my age and don't want you to know that I'm almost 34. ;D

Pardon the aside, but:

Why be self conscious about it?

34 - 36 was my favorite time, I was at the top of my game in every sense, the most beautiful, the most fit, the most intellectually voracious and mentally quick than any other time in my whole life.

I tend to be a bit vain about withstanding, even outlasting, the trials of life, and maintaining a level of -- let's call it "well-preservation". I've done Maiden and Mother, and I'm going to do Crone with joyous abandon, too.

There is a dumb myth that gamers have to be 15 - 25 (and male).