Dual Wield is useless

gofortheko

Ive come to that conclusion after hours upon hours of gameplay. I use two Blade of Woes (pickpocketed Artmis for fun, glad I did later) and it gives me all kinds of trouble trying to fast hot key them. Anyway, I honestly think I would rather have a shield for those battles where you cant assassinate everyone immediately, than having no defenses, also since you only need one dagger to assassinate I dont see the benefit of using two weapons. Going to try the shield now, since I started the main quest line, and at 44 its brutal fighting dragons in light armor.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went dual wield dagger rogue as my first character also.

Since going sword + shield on a new character, my character feels about 10x more powerful than his first incarnation. Shield + block perk focus truly is king in this game or so it feels. Nothing I have played (dual wield assassination rogue + armored mage) feels remotely comparable. All the old enemies I used to fear from mages to trolls have become cakewalks after I learned the almighty skill of smashing them in the face with my shield and then sticking my sword in their faces.

Dual wield really needs to be able to block, block truly is king of this game in my experience. It can slow time which is something one of the best dragon shouts can do. Honestly dual wielding should allow the RMB to block while allowing LMB to attack with both daggers in turn with increased attack speed.

Edited by Raddra

Dual Wielding is all about damage and no protection so it can be a bit hairy if you're not slicing through your enemies.

I can understand the reasons for implementing it like this but IMO we should be able to block. From a simply practical point of view I can see no logical reason why the weapon in the left hand can't be used to block. In fact in the past that was the main reason for having an off hand weapon. You block the enemy and potentially strike with the other weapon.

It's funny that shields are made more offensive but that off hand weapons are made for attack only. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a modder with some ingenuity to come up with a clever way to make this work differently.

One advantage of dual-wielding daggers is if you have a Thief/Assassin character. A full dual attack will deal damage for each strike, and if you are sneaking, it means that you get a lot of x16.

As an example, before my thief character got enough levels/equipment, Draugr Deathlords were a pain to deal with, even with a successfull sneak attack. That is, until I tried dual-wielding dagger and did the standing power attack. First hit knocked the Draugr at almost half health, second hit dropped him to almost dead and the third hit killed him. All in under half a second.

My first character was a fighter Orc with dual wielding swords and I decimated my opponents so quickly I had to play on Master to have any challenge. And even then the bandits and lower levels would die in just one or two hits. I never really needed to block. Just chug potions & food when health/stamina are low and attack, Dual wield is all about offense. If you play it that way, you will be unstoppable.