Dual Wield is useless

gofortheko

That's one of the few complaints I can't see the basis for.

You can't block, yes, but dual-weild does the most damage of all things in the game by far. The speed perks, combined with elemental fury can take your damage output go to thousands, and don't even try 2 damage enchants on each weapon... That's just... beyond overpowered... One spinning powerattack that hits and everything dies, no matter what difficulty you play on.

Edited by elvinkun

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not useless for sneaky characters. I had a tough time with dual-wield at first. I didn't know about having to hit both buttons at once to an 'attack' that hits the baddies a few times. Seems obvious in retrospect.

:wallbash: :facepalm: Thank you ... now I finally know what I missed the whole time and why I felt so weak in melee. Perhaps I am now finally able to kill some of the more annoying monsters(read fast melee ones) in melee.

Duel wield is not useless, you are.

Yes you cannot block when duel wielding, but the extra damage far outweighs that penalty. By far. Besides, the whole concept of blocking with a weapon is unrealistic. Swords (both 1h and 2h), maces, axes, warhammers etc are swung with so much force and have so much momentum that you CANNOT block with with another weapon. So it makes sense that you cannot block when duel wielding. If you want to block, use a shield.

I play a dual wield orc warrior. Not being able to keybind my offhand weapon is extremely frustrating. This isn't hard to implement (like a million other things Bethesda forgot or decided not to do, LAA anyone?) and I'm surprised none of the keybinding mods have tackled it yet. If I missed one that does please say so. As to blocking, I know it says you can't block with dual wield, but you can. It's not easy and requires very careful timing, but if you hit both weapon buttons right as a strike is coming in you will cross your weapons and block. You can not hold the position so you have to time it perfectly every time, which isn't easy. I have done it quite a lot against melee attackers. That said blocking with a shield is much easier and vs. casters it's the only option to mitigate incoming damage. Nothing beats the damage output of dual upgraded weapons with elemental fury though. Edited by syrik77

Besides, the whole concept of blocking with a weapon is unrealistic.

No it is not, the entire historical basis of dual wielding was for blocking with one weapon and striking with the other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Companion_weapon

The idea of swinging both weapons in combat for primarily striking 'dps' is an anime/video game derived trope.

Edited by Raddra

No it is not, the entire historical basis of dual wielding was for blocking with one weapon and striking with the other.

The idea of swinging both weapons in combat for primarily striking 'dps' is an anime/video game derived trope.

No. Its called Parrying not blocking, completely different, at full force from an average man you can not block a sword axe or mace without a shield, you can only deflect the direction of the strike, aka parrying.

No. Its called Parrying not blocking, completely different, at full force from an average man you can not block a sword axe or mace without a shield, you can only deflect the direction of the strike, aka parrying.

We can argue semantics but for the purpose of the game parrying and blocking can be considered to be synonyms.

I'm not an expert but historically in fencing the off hand weapon was used to deflect attacks to get an advantage (it could also be used to strike if the opportunity occurred but that was not its first use). Parrying daggers were designed for that purpose and they were also called "main gauche" (French for "left hand"). Most of the time the swordsman used a rapier in his right hand. In Europe this style was most popular during the 16th and 17th centuries.

Edited by Shantih

Unless you refuse to smith, just get your smith skill to 90, get the daedric smithing perk, make two deardic daggers, and improve them. They are better than most swords in terms of damage. With 100 one hand I do about 51 damage for bith daggers, unenchanted. If something is big and nasty, do the special simultaneous standing power attack, which attacks four times. If that still isn't doing enough damage, enchant them.