Skyrim HAS VATS

TheKotU

yes yes and yes.

In my "Dismemberment" thread I mentioned VATS, but I didn't think how cool it would be if at least archery had a VATS-like system. I'd be satisfied with this for sure! seeing an enemy tumble off a wall or something in the classic VATS slow-mo, not to mention the times like in Fallout 3 and NV where they show your character aiming and gritting their teeth before firing, would be TOO great.

I wants it.

I needs it.

I wouldn't use a VATS system but I would like to see a "missile cam", that works for arrows and magic projectiles. If the kill shot is delivered from an impressive distance the missile cam should kick in and let you watch it hit in slo-mo. One of the most satisfying things about using a bow is examining your markmanship after a kill. Once, I hit a Hagraven in the face with one arrow, and the heart with the second arrow. I would love to have seen that in slo-mo.

• 1 month later...
Just another voice saying "I want to see VATS in Skyrim". Definitely. First, I think the vanilla skyrim combat stinks big-time. Second, I prefer my RPG games to include RPG-style combat systems, not FPS style combat systems. Just like Fallout 3 and FNV, having VATS would not mean you have to use it, just that it is an option - this makes everyone happy. (I'm surprised it isn't already in Skyrim actually, it is so odd having an RPG like Skyrim and have only a bog-standard FPS-style combat system. Skyrim lends itself so well to beautiful cinematic visuals; a VATS like system would be great.) Edited by Mr_SpongeWorthy

it is so odd having an RPG like Skyrim and have only a bog-standard FPS-style combat system.

Morrowind and Oblivion pretty much had the same combat system(Morrowind had dice rolls though but still...)

I'd like to see VATS in Skyrim, it was pretty cool to use in Fallout with melee weapons(teleporting at lightning fast speed to the other side of a chain fence to attack an enemy was awesome and priceless.) :biggrin:

Slightly off-topic, there was a lot of cool stuff that Fallout had that they for some reason removed...(throwing weapons, VATS, ammo crafting, survival, karma), kind of sad and odd. :psyduck:

it is so odd having an RPG like Skyrim and have only a bog-standard FPS-style combat system.

Morrowind and Oblivion pretty much had the same combat system(Morrowind had dice rolls though but still...)

I'd like to see VATS in Skyrim, it was pretty cool to use in Fallout with melee weapons(teleporting at lightning fast speed to the other side of a chain fence to attack an enemy was awesome and priceless.) :biggrin:

Slightly off-topic, there was a lot of cool stuff that Fallout had that they for some reason removed...(throwing weapons, VATS, ammo crafting, survival, karma), kind of sad and odd. :psyduck:

We need a Fallout 3 combat mod then! Melee, ranged and magical VATS! Grenade-like weapons such as Alchemist's Fire and Acid Flasks! Kill-moves for EVERYTHING!

I've looked at stuff and there only appears to be some left-over getter functions for VATS, some actor values that appear to do nothing, and some variables that were used for VATS tips and possibly assisting the system. I don't see anything indicating there's any functions that actually still allow for VATS functionality... this isn't to say it's not possible, simply not to assume that because the system has some VATS getters that it can actually do anything VATS related.

Bethesda is sloppy. :unsure: