Cities are kinda.. meh.

NAPALM13092

101 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the cities in Skyrim?

• They are fine the way they are. Deal with it nerd.
    • They look good but need to be bigger.
    • I hate them. They need a complete overhaul.
    • I couldn't care less about the cities.

The cities you mentioned are terrible. The village cities are just stupid honestly. The first time I found one of the village cities I was seriously confused why it had its own special marker on the map. They look like the villages from oblivion.

That being said cities like Markarth, Windhelm, and Solitude are really nice. Mainly Markarth.

Edited by marharth

It's a mix. So far some I've seen are good but need to be bigger, some need a complete overhaul. A lot of them have nice designs and architecture but seem horribly empty and under-populated. But at the very least they have regional bounties now, that was a very annoying problem in previous games, since in every TES game the player generally spends most of their time in cities.

...I find myself wishing for a remake of Oblivion...

But I desperately want to do something with those empty spaces in the wall outside Whiterun...

Its the north a harsh land with a harsh life, it wouldnt sit well to have huge major cities full of people in a land where walking outside can get you killed. Doesnt fit the lore.

QFT.

Cities in Skyrim shouldn't be all huge fortified places nor should they be as big as the imperial city. IMO it makes sense that some of them are just big villages. Skyim probably doesn't have such a high population density anyway.

I've picked the first option in the poll but I think the "nerd" thing wasn't necessary as I can understand players who want bigger cities (like Solitude, Windhelm, Whiterun or Markath).

Cities and towns do not need to be bigger. The amount of NPCs should. After CK is released I will try to make an NPC mod. First it would just include non interactable NPCs, aka no talking, just one line reply. Then I would try to make some of them give out miscellaneous quests, etc.

For me, character is more important than size when it comes to cities and I really like the character of the five main Skyrim cities. The hamlets could use a little sprucing up, but well, I think they were designed to look like hamlets. I also wonder if city-size is also an indirect balancing issue for thieves. Perhaps if there are too many homes to rob it makes being a rich thief too easy? I suppose they could have just added in more slums & farms that wouldn't offer much in the way of theft opportunities... Edited by CalibanX

Just cause it's up north doesn't mean it has to be small or spacious... believe me, I've been to some very northernly major cities.

In medieval times? I confess I don't know much about Scandinavia in medieval times but I've always assumed there was a reason why vikings invaded and settled in the "south" -demographics of course but maybe a better climate was a strong incentive.

Cities and towns do not need to be bigger. The amount of NPCs should. After CK is released I will try to make an NPC mod. First it would just include non interactable NPCs, aka no talking, just one line reply. Then I would try to make some of them give out miscellaneous quests, etc.

Mostly it's the same problem as in other Bethesda titles. The game has to be able to handle the extra NPCs and that causes issues on less powerful systems. I will be waiting to try your mod (hopefully with any luck my computer will be able to handle it). :happy: