Cities are kinda.. meh.

NAPALM13092

101 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the cities in Skyrim?

• They are fine the way they are. Deal with it nerd.
    • They look good but need to be bigger.
    • I hate them. They need a complete overhaul.
    • I couldn't care less about the cities.

This is definitely one of the most disappointing things about Skyrim. Yeah, the cities that are actually villages are a real downer. Not to even mention the fact that every guard has the SAME helmet that covers their whole face (I know technically every guard in Cyrodiil had the same helmet, but you could see their face), but I won't get into that here.

I loved how in Oblivion, every city was walled, and every city sort of had their own color scheme & theme. The cities in that game were much more memorable, not to mention bigger.

Edited by Xmayne

snip

Mostly it's the same problem as in other Bethesda titles. The game has to be able to handle the extra NPCs and that causes issues on less powerful systems. I will be waiting to try your mod (hopefully with any luck my computer will be able to handle it). :happy:

I'll see what I can do... I remember adding an NPC in oblivion that walked, talked, ate, and slept. I don't think this will be harder. I might as well make random spawning ones for the beginning, e.g. "Breton", "Elf" etc, etc. I just need dialogue if they were to give out misc quests like (almost all) NPCs do. Asking people to record/edit voice, I guess? I will also make small encampments around Whiterun to serve as home to hunters. There is also unused space in inns and the outcroppings of Whiterun. Inns would have to be filled with random NPCs.

I don't think it takes that much more power for 5-10 more NPC's wandering around. I used mods like that for Oblivion and FO3 and I didn't have problems. My computer is not that grand either, and was worse back then when I used to play Oblivion. I think this is just sort of a trend Bethesda seems to follow - NPCs in towns should only be important - tasks, quests and such.

Just cause it's up north doesn't mean it has to be small or spacious... believe me, I've been to some very northernly major cities.

In medieval times? I confess I don't know much about Scandinavia in medieval times but I've always assumed there was a reason why vikings invaded and settled in the "south" -demographics of course but maybe a better climate was a strong incentive.

Cities and towns do not need to be bigger. The amount of NPCs should. After CK is released I will try to make an NPC mod. First it would just include non interactable NPCs, aka no talking, just one line reply. Then I would try to make some of them give out miscellaneous quests, etc.

Mostly it's the same problem as in other Bethesda titles. The game has to be able to handle the extra NPCs and that causes issues on less powerful systems. I will be waiting to try your mod (hopefully with any luck my computer will be able to handle it). :happy:

Nords are not vikings or your normal human. Nords actually have resistance to cold. That and we have magic.

True, but again, no excuse not to open them up in pc version :thumbsup:

Well, think about it. While they far surpass the hardware capabilities of consoles, PC's nevertheless still make up a very small portion of the video game market. So why would any logical game developer even waste the time to make games for PC as well? I think there exists a point at which we gotta be grateful that they even put this much detail into it, let alone that they are willing to use and develop off of a game engine that is easy enough for 3rd party content mods.

Sure, the cities could be bigger, but they could also be smaller. Lucky for pc gamers, there are a lot of talented people who will design some incredible game mods.

I've had some complaints about the cities before on other threads. I'll lay them all out here again. Because I love to complain.

I actually don't have to big of a problem with the "Main" cities. Markarth, Solitude, Windhelm, Riften and Whiterun. Those all have a unique architecture and their own unique feel and culture. I like that. For some reason they seem smaller to me then the cities of Oblivion. I think a majority of that is just different layouts. If you think of the cities of Oblivion they had huge land areas. Chorral and Cheydinhal come to mind. Lots of open space and greenery with houses spread out. In Skyrim the houses are all a lot closer to one another. In Solitude, well they don't have much room to build on being on that arch; or Windhelm, it has a lot of walls and narrow corridors. Just two examples. Don't get me wrong I would have loved for the cities to be bigger. I do agree with one of the posters about how all the houses have an NPC that is quest related. It'd be nice to just break into a house and rob them. Or just straight up kill a random city dweller.

My main issue is the "Secondary" cities, or the towns. Falkreath, Morthal, Dawnstar and Winterhold. Those cities all surprisingly have a fleshed out background and lots of lore. Unfortunately they all use the exact same building set. It bothers me to no end. I don't mind that the small villages and hamlets use that style of building. It fits the more rural feel of them. I mean Dawnstar is reputedly a major port and an important one. To bad it's one dock and one boat. Winterhold? It has the College of Winterhold. I know the city fell into the sea in the great collapse, but it would be cool to see ruins of old stone buildings, and some old buildings still inhabited from the old city. I remember reading in one of the books, or maybe the Jarl said it... either way I read that Winterhold, back in the day, was a major competitor to Solitude in terms of wealth and power. Really? With those little wooden shantys? And you can't have me believe the ENTIRE city fell into the sea and they rebuilt with those wooden shacks. It was just laziness on the devs part.

That just annoys me.

Just cause it's up north doesn't mean it has to be small or spacious... believe me, I've been to some very northernly major cities.

In medieval times? I confess I don't know much about Scandinavia in medieval times but I've always assumed there was a reason why vikings invaded and settled in the "south" -demographics of course but maybe a better climate was a strong incentive.

Raiding southward was mainly because that's where the people and the money/supplies were more concentrated. Settling actually occurred at nearly all latitudes - Iceland, Greenland and even North America. The name Greenland was chosen not because it's a lush green paradise, but to help entice people to settle out that way, despite it being a harsh nearly uninhabitable location. Iceland was settled as early as the late 9th century, and Greenland in the 10th century (later abandoned in the 15th).