FO4Edit - Error: Could not be resolved. Possible causes?

mac2636

Looking to figure out what may be causing these errors? Is it just a mod install error or something else like a mod update related issue?

None of the mods in question have been merged yet, but I am finding quite a few Error: Could not be resolved, mostly with Armorsmith and or Armor Keyword replaces/compatibility patches.

Example: The following mods have been installed as well as the base Armorsmith Extended v3.2 and the All DLCs Patch v3.2.

PreWar Dress Retex Stand Alone - PreWar Dress Retex Stand Alone Clothing 9/16/2016 9:02:08 AM 9/16/2016 8:59:57 AM 29573 0.7 / 0.7

Siraxx PreWar Dress Retex Stand Alone - PreWar Dress Retex Stand Alone Update Clothing 9/16/2016 9:02:28 AM 9/16/2016 8:58:47 AM 30944 0.71 / 0.71 Siraxx

Armorsmith Extended - AE Replacer Pre-War Dress v0.71 v2 Armour 9/16/2016 5:04:58 PM 9/16/2016 5:04:11 PM 48982 3.12 / 3.01 Gambit77

In FO4Edit Armorsmith Siraxx Extended.esp has several entries that show < Error: Could not be resolved >. They all seem to be in the BNAM - Workbench Keyword and FNAM - Category Keyword fields. This is also the case in a few other AE replacer//combined esps.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2mebgx4.jpg

I believe I know how to repair the problems (updating the BNAM and FNAM fields to AEC_ck_ArmorsmithCraftingKey [KYWD:0E000851] and AEC_cm_CO_Dresses_Recipe "OUTFITS - DRESSES" [KYWD:0E000905]) or whatever the correct category is sourced from the base Armorsmith esp). I do not however know for sure if I am taking the right path or if I just screwed something up in the install.

There is also the problem that the Compatch Form IDs do not match up to the master esp Form IDs. In order to correct it fully, I think I should change the Compatch's IDs to match the ones from the original esp. Is this correct?

I sincerely hope my post isn't overly difficult to understand and if this is a case of my own errors you all will understand and excuse my lack of modding knowledge.

Edited by mac2636

Sine we started updating and maintaining xEdit our team bases everything off of plugins made with the official CK. We released FO4Edit prior to the release of the CK to allow people to have fun trying out new things and making mods other then texture mods. They were told to use it at their own risk. Because of that mod authors altered records that we warned they should not alter. So the records will more closely resemble Skyrim's records since that's the format Bethesda used as a base for Fallout 4. Obviously Bethesda made changes to almost all the records and added new records but they always use the previous game's code and plugin structure.

As time went on we had better definitions and FO4Edit worked better. All still before the release of the CK. About 8000 to 9000 mods were made before the release of the CK and any of them that needed a plugin was made with FO4Edit. I know of some that used TESVSnip which most defiantly had Skyrim record definitions. The CK is out now so the definitions are even better but may not be perfect, yet. They will be it just takes time.

Where that leaves the modding community is that any mod released prior to the Fallout CK which came out in April of 2016, will have records that are not accurate. Those mods should be loaded into the Fallout 4 CK and properly updated. If the records are not formatted well enough because the author used a very early alpha version, the CK may not be able to load the mod in which the author may have to start from scratch.

The specific error listed < Error: Could not be resolved > means that there is no parent record in the master. For example you are modifying the damage of a Gun in Fallout 4. The pointer or the parent record is 00134F4E. An author may copy the record and alter it so it doesn't change the vanilla record causing all the NPCs to have the new damage value of the gun. If any subrecords for the gun are also not copied and changed properly they won't point to the record in Fallout4.esm. A subrecord like BNAM is trying to access the Keyword for the workbench required to build the gun. Since it's not finding the parent record it tells you it's missing. All you need to do is delete that and assign a valid workbench Keyword. At least that's what I assume, I have not altered any weapon records and assigned them to workbenches. I'm going off of the record names posted in the OP which listed "BNAM - Workbench Keyword" and "FNAM - Category Keyword".

When there is an error in the plugin, it is with the plugin, and FO4Edit is trying to tell you why. Irrespective of whether or not an early pre-release may have caused the issue or not. Loading plugins like that into the CK is the first step to fixing it but the author should be doing that themselves. The next step is to assign a valid value to the subrecord that properly references Fallout4.esm. If the master is from something like AWKCR then you would want the Keyword to reference the ESM they provide.

Edited by Sharlikran

Sine we started updating and maintaining xEdit our team bases everything off of plugins made with the official CK. We released FO4Edit prior to the release of the CK to allow people to have fun trying out new things and making mods other then texture mods. They were told to use it at their own risk. Because of that mod authors altered records that we warned they should not alter. So the records will more closely resemble Skyrim's records since that's the format Bethesda used as a base for Fallout 4. Obviously Bethesda made changes to almost all the records and added new records but they always use the previous game's code and plugin structure.

As time went on we had better definitions and FO4Edit worked better. All still before the release of the CK. About 8000 to 9000 mods were made before the release of the CK and any of them that needed a plugin was made with FO4Edit. I know of some that used TESVSnip which most defiantly had Skyrim record definitions. The CK is out now so the definitions are even better but may not be perfect, yet. They will be it just takes time.

Where that leaves the modding community is that any mod released prior to the Fallout CK which came out in April of 2016, will have records that are not accurate. Those mods should be loaded into the Fallout 4 CK and properly updated. If the records are not formatted well enough because the author used a very early alpha version, the CK may not be able to load the mod in which the author may have to start from scratch.

The specific error listed < Error: Could not be resolved > means that there is no parent record in the master. For example you are modifying the damage of a Gun in Fallout 4. The pointer or the parent record is 00134F4E. An author may copy the record and alter it so it doesn't change the vanilla record causing all the NPCs to have the new damage value of the gun. If any subrecords for the gun are also not copied and changed properly they won't point to the record in Fallout4.esm. A subrecord like BNAM is trying to access the Keyword for the workbench required to build the gun. Since it's not finding the parent record it tells you it's missing. All you need to do is delete that and assign a valid workbench Keyword. At least that's what I assume, I have not altered any weapon records and assigned them to workbenches. I'm going off of the record names posted in the OP which listed "BNAM - Workbench Keyword" and "FNAM - Category Keyword".

When there is an error in the plugin, it is with the plugin, and FO4Edit is trying to tell you why. Irrespective of whether or not an early pre-release may have caused the issue or not. Loading plugins like that into the CK is the first step to fixing it but the author should be doing that themselves. The next step is to assign a valid value to the subrecord that properly references Fallout4.esm. If the master is from something like AWKCR then you would want the Keyword to reference the ESM they provide.

Thanks for responding Sharlikran. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

In your opinion is the best way to fix those issues, use CK first? Or could I just correct the BNAMs, FNAMs, and FormIDs in FO4Edit? I only ask, because I've never worked with the CK , and am just now starting to get comfortable with FO4Edit.

Thanks again so much for sharing your knowledge.

I'd save the file in the CK as step one. It's not going to hurt anything or auto correct the keywords. It will fix anything from any older version of FO4Edit and make sure the records are formatted correctly. Then with the latest FO4Edit you can remove the unresolved references and add the new keywords. Once BNAM and FNAM have the correct keywords those weapons should show up in game.

However, you may not have to add anything. I may not have altered weapon recipes but for SKE I have to alter COBJ records for settlement items. You only need one keyword in each field. For a settlement item BNAM is normally the type like Furniture, and FNAM is which menu the item appears in. Most likely it works similarly for weapons. One is the type of workbench required and the other might be the menu. You should be able to look at similar items to figure out what they use.

We mentioned not to alter OMOD for one of the early releases. So that should be fixed by the CK if it's not formatted correctly. Prior to Survival mode OMOD had less information in it. So it's a good idea to update the plugin with the latest record definitions from Bethesda.

No problem. If the CK crashes trying to save the file and therefore you can't update it, let me know. I don't want to be everyone's "fix my file guy" but I am genuinely willing to help you get that file to save in the CK if for any reason the records might have an issue that prevents you from trying to update it yourself.

• 8 months later...

Good evening,

I'd save the file in the CK as step one. It's not going to hurt anything or auto correct the keywords. It will fix anything from any older version of FO4Edit and make sure the records are formatted correctly. Then with the latest FO4Edit you can remove the unresolved references and add the new keywords. Once BNAM and FNAM have the correct keywords those weapons should show up in game.

However, you may not have to add anything. I may not have altered weapon recipes but for SKE I have to alter COBJ records for settlement items. You only need one keyword in each field. For a settlement item BNAM is normally the type like Furniture, and FNAM is which menu the item appears in. Most likely it works similarly for weapons. One is the type of workbench required and the other might be the menu. You should be able to look at similar items to figure out what they use.

I've been running into the same issue as the OP with not just Armorsmith, but Weaponsmith.esps. Your suggestion here works like a charm to remove the error-entries of one .esp in one go, thanks a lot!