STeam

Gabrielxoxo

So is steam necessary for me to play skyrim?

I dont know nothing about computers. My boyfriend sets the game up for me and i just play it.

So I was wondering if i have to go through steam to access skyrim and why they would do it that way.

I mean, you goto steam homepage and it looks like a damn department store. oh wait, it is. i already bought the game. i just want info now.

wheres their mod page they spoke of. am i really that blind that it took me 20mins of looking through the page and still ive found nothing?

THank whichever gods for the nexus because i think i would give up on beth if it wasnt for you guys. thank you so much for your constant help and support and humanity.

but back to my question - is steam necessary and why. (sorry for my frustration - oblivion seemed easier)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steam is necessary--they adopted Steam as their Digital Rights Management platform. You don't need to enter Steam to start the game, but it must be active in the background. Also, I think the 'mod page' isn't implemented yet. I think it's still mostly the Nexus for mods. Oblivion was simpler, but if they made Skyrim the same way they'd lose millions of dollars of profit because of people leaking their game, so it's unavoidable for a modern pc game.

Edited for clarity and to save trolls their trouble. -mm

Steam is necessary--they made it that way to slow down pirates. You don't need to enter Steam to start the game, but it must be active in the background. Also, I think the 'mod page' isn't implemented yet. I think it's still mostly the Nexus for mods. Oblivion was simpler, but if they made Skyrim the same way they'd lose millions of dollars of profit because of people leaking their game, so it's unavoidable for a modern pc game.

This thread is wrong on all accounts.

First, Skyrim had a pirated version the FIRST DAY it was released. Steam did nothing to stop or even slow it down. Second, when Skyrim shipped you only needed to register through Steam. After that you never had to keep it running. The second 1.1 patch completely screwed that up. Now Steam is 100% required to run Skyrim unless you somehow managed to get your hands on that other version of 1.1 before they patched it. If Skyrim was made the same way as Oblivion you'd still have the same number of sales for the simple fact that Skyrim was available illegally on day 1. Steam has done nothing but force broken patches and piss off customers. All this DRM they keep using has never done a thing to stop Piracy while at the same time its screwing over legitimate buyers.

Whatever, I'm not interested in fighting. Steam is how Bethesda tries to stop pirates. I don't care if it works, that's irrelevant.

Steam is necessary--they made it that way to slow down pirates. You don't need to enter Steam to start the game, but it must be active in the background. Also, I think the 'mod page' isn't implemented yet. I think it's still mostly the Nexus for mods. Oblivion was simpler, but if they made Skyrim the same way they'd lose millions of dollars of profit because of people leaking their game, so it's unavoidable for a modern pc game.

First, Skyrim had a pirated version the FIRST DAY it was released. Steam did nothing to stop or even slow it down. Second, when Skyrim shipped you only needed to register through Steam. After that you never had to keep it running. The second 1.1 patch completely screwed that up. Now Steam is 100% required to run Skyrim unless you somehow managed to get your hands on that other version of 1.1 before they patched it. If Skyrim was made the same way as Oblivion you'd still have the same number of sales for the simple fact that Skyrim was available illegally on day 1. Steam has done nothing but force broken patches and piss off customers. All this DRM they keep using has never done a thing to stop Piracy while at the same time its screwing over legitimate buyers.

Yup, DRM is ridiculous, I mean there are groups of those bastards who compete with themselves on who releases the illegal version first, there are hundreads of them while theres just a few working on DRM, they should stop, because they are screwing legitimate buyers, they should make something like Red Studio did, I mean their game The Witcher 2 sold 1 million copies but had 4 million ilegal ones downloaded, that's ridiculous but even after this they said that they won't make DRM, and instead gonna try to make some bonus stuff or something like that for legitimate buyers (dunno how that work) and also try to give awareness to customers/gamers and why they should buy it legitimate, and I mean that's cool, another example is the new serious sam, wich has a very different type of DRM wich is quite funny lol, if the game detects that it's pirated there will be an unkillable crab following you arround at every stage, attacking you, being annoying, that's another nice way to do it, oh and just a correction, it's more ridiculous than you think, Skyrim hadn't a pirated version just only in the first day, it was available 1 day BEFORE release, pretty damn ridiculous if you ask me

Skyrim hadn't a pirated version just only in the first day, it was available 1 day BEFORE release, pretty damn ridiculous if you ask me

LOL, really?

About the Witcher, I really don't understand how or where they get those number of pirated copies downloaded statistics from. Especially when its only through torrents can you pirate a game of that size. Torrents do not give you any kind of statistics of how many completed copies are downloaded.

Edited by Kravick

come out of anonymity, and let me shake your hand. you are absolutely right, steam is useless, they only want a piece of the pie. if they cant, they put an 'illegal' stamp on it

Thank you for all your replies and opinions.

On my skyrim box, nowhere does it say 'requires internet access' or anything of the sort. I understand that skyrim is a giant game but how could they just release a game with so many unplayable problems? My mouse actions were terrible before they patched it. They're still not the best and im hoping for a better fix. I wonder how people with no internets get this done.

Its terribly unfair of them to have done this to people for the sake of cash. Might as well go make a panda character in WoW right?

Edited by Gabrielxoxo

oh and just a correction, it's more ridiculous than you think, Skyrim hadn't a pirated version just only in the first day, it was available 1 day BEFORE release, pretty damn ridiculous if you ask me

You are a little off - the pre-release pirate was on the 360, and nearly a week before official launch.

Maybe that kind of DRM is not to stop piracy but to bind down and expose legit users to all types of marketing tools?

I see this way, most legit users will do nothing to prevent that annoyance (that is like the only thing I can think of it). you see, that one that actually buy the game is the one that probably will buy more games and accessories... So it is just a form of very aggressive advertizement practice and often harmful to the legit user in many ways, personal data security being not the least.

Addendum: Never the quote from Paul Atreides, character of Dune, was truer: "He who can destroy something is the one who really owns it"

Edited by nosisab