Skyrim instantly crashes on save - please help!!

habaar

If you all stopped using autosaves and quicksaves youd probably avoid most of these problems. And you cant fix a save by making a full save from a loaded quicksave/autosave, damage is done. When will it effect you? Cant say for sure. Took 75hours for one of my saves to go broken without changing any mods. Its well known fact. Of course there is more to it than that depending your setup with scripts, but this is the majority of problems.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

i don't use proudspire mod the mods i use are true unique playable dremora race red vampire eye retexture dawnguard evil mastermind armor and a ragdoll spell it was fine with it till i tried a new mod salem arena and it started crashing on saves so i deleted salem arena and deleted all the saves that i had it on still crashes on saves also i tried the thing where you die to fix it and it crashed when i died

Once a save game has been affected by a mod that is it. Only true uninstallation method is reverting to an old save. Some mods you can get away with it but a lot, unfortunately not.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

You might have a different problem, but same symptoms. For me, the problem was that Nexus Mod Manager updated and re-downloaded all of my mods. When it did so, it downloaded the most recent version of those mods (something which I failed to realize). Some of them, such as SkyUI, only work with the latest version of SKSE. I was still running on the next oldest SKSE, not realizing that they had updated, so I could play my saves games for about 2 days in game time before they would all start crashing on save. Once I updated to the most recent version of SKSE, the save glitch went away. Hope this helps, I was very distraught while this was happening!

• 4 weeks later...

Though this is an old page, and people would probably have either started new games, or fixed their problem via other means, I'll post this anyway.

A quick and easy way to permanently fix this is the following (assuming you have at least 1 save where you don't have this problem present):

- The problem seems to be the saving process of the game. I've tried many things - none of them worked for me - to solve this, so I'm absolutely positive about this fact.

- First, you want to install the Autosave Manager: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34842/?

This mod creates saves which never have the save=CTD problem for me. NEVER.

- Now, deactivate ALL the game's saving mechanisms, and configure ASM through the MCM menu.

- From now on, depending on how you configured it (I have it on 12 Incremental saves, 5 minutes interval, which makes up for a detailed timelist of my last hour of gameplay), you'll have plenty of clean saves. At least that's my experience anyway.

I also did some extensive testing - first, I had a Hard Save, where the problem didn't happen. Then a quicksave, where it was alredy present (loaded her up, try to make another Hard Save, instant CTD), and waited for ASM to save it for me in the apparently buggy state. I loaded up the ASM save. Quicksave - NO PROBLEMS. Re-loaded the previous save (the apparently buggy one, which was made BEFORE the ASM save) now. Quicksaved. Instant CTD. Loaded up the Quicksave which was made after loading the ASM save, and Quicksaved - no problem, kploxthxbye.

Repeated such processes for 4 hours. ASM saves always worked without any problems whatsoever.

Another option: if the save error is related to a specific zone or area, just do the process after using the console to CoC to some other location (f.e. Riverwood). That should do the trick.

This does require SKSE, but honestly - who plays Skyrim without SKSE anyway? :D

The autosave mod did it for me, and it seemed to have fixed the CTD on save issue too.

This issue has beem troubling me for days, finally found a fix that works. Many thanks! May Talos guide you.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello,

I didn't read all the 10 pages of the thread, but I had the same problem of corrupted saves that makes Skyrim CTD (crash to desktop) at every save so I couldnt play anymore.

I had the Proudspire Manor installed and I could play for kinda 20 hours without any crash, but then it started crashing for no visible reason.

I tried some of the solutions people advised (deactivating mod, disable autosave etc...), but none of them worked for me.

BUT I finally found a very easy solution that worked for me !

1. Disable every active mod with your mod manager (I use nexus mod manager).

2. Then just re-enable every mod, (or just the mods you want).

3. Load your save, you should be able to save (try to press f9 to quicksave).

This worked great with my corrupted saves. And now it works (I don't know for how long though).

I hope it can help you :smile:

PS: If it doesn't work, maybe try to load your save after disabling every mod (do step 3 before step 2), and then load the new save after re-enabling the mods. But I don't guarantee anything..

Edited by ReawPal

Congratulations, the use of your necromancy spell just advanced your conjuration skill to "Legendary". Aaanyway...

If you disable every mod and then try to load a save game, it is just as unlikely to load. The chances are that the game won't even crash, it'll probably just hit an infinite loading screen. There will be many references to objects and scripts hooked into the save which no longer exist. At the very least the orphaned references need to be purged from the save, but even after re-enabling the mods some things might never again work properly and particularly so in respect of quests. Truth be told, if the problem is so bad that you reach the point of disabling every single mod then you're probably starting anew and diagnosing it in a fresh state.

Edited by Kapteyn