Unreal

kungfubellydancer

I tend to be the gamer that plays an old game every once in a while. How many people have played Unreal? Not Unreal II, not Unreal Tournament.

If you are unfamiliar with it, Unreal basically is you trying to get off an Alien planet that you crash-landed on. The planet's native inhabitants are enslaved by the Skaarj, your main enemy. But one of the things that I loved the most was its sheer beauty and mesmerizing music. For me, even if a game or movie really sucks, I'll give it credit if its artistry was incredible (being one with an eye for art and music) and this game definitely has me attached. You will go through a range of different environments, from Tribal exotic Nali temples to hi-tech alien factories.

A great play for old-school gamers who don't mind primitive AI. I just wish I could find a CD for it, and install it, though it tends to be unstable on newer machines. :thumbsup:

I got it in a box set bundle with UT, but UT was so awesome that I neglected Unreal. I fear I would not be able to play the game now due to it burning my eyes. I can do retro games every once in a while, but they have to be games I know and like (XCOM, Railroad Tycoon, etc.). I can't even play Starcraft anymore.

That's a bloody shame - I feel sorry for you, Dark (seriously, I really do man :( ). But look on the bright side - at least you had fun when you did. I'm always up for old school gaming (not like the days of Pong or Atari, I'm much too young for that). I even still play the oldeis but goldies (like Mega Man, Sonic the Hedgehog, Metroid, etc.), although it's only emulated on my comp :D

Unreal was my first game when I changed my 486DX2 66MHz for a PentiumII 350MHz, and it was bundled with the graphic card (a 3dfx VooDoo), so I have nice memories of it.

I really liked the first part, when I got out of the starship I really got amazed from the plants, waterfalls, the sky and the natural environment in general.

I liked the buildable weapon, some locations were damn good and the background history of the Skaarj enslaving the Nali. I still remember the poor Nali's crossed to the asterisk like crosses (they had 4 arms)...

The gameplay was too plain, however, and the enemies were as half as scary as DooM's ones, so I don't know if I would like to replay it today.

In Return to Na Pali, there is a night time level in which you board a merc ship. In the valley where the merc ship is, far far in the distance is one of those Nali crucifixes. I did target practice on it, and I found that if you relieved the Nali of its suffering, a blue 100 health pack is dropped from the sky in the middle of the valley, seemingly a gift from the gods. But I didn't like Return to Na Pali much.

My favorite levels were all of the Nali levels (where you are not on a ship or something) and the chapel level near the end. One cheat was the Summon cheat (much like placeatpc in Oblivion) and sometimes I would summon hordes of monsters or whatever to one location. Oh, the memories.

Like I said, I mostly liked Unreal for its artistry. But sometimes things can be routine.

Like the way I play DOOM. I play it not because of graphics or anything, but because of the shear fun I get out of just blowing things to smithereens :devil: ... Of course that's probably just sick pleasure :(

I can't destroy things without feeling remorse (in some way).

in SC2000, SC3000, SC4.... I can't click on "disaster" for my cicty, because I just don't think it's justified, smashing the city down.

actually I think, to be fair, it's becuse it's not the most economical and logical choice, as it would cost too much to rebuild and take too much time (as far as real-time game-hours, not in-game time) to make the city again.

I guess that's why if I am in a mood where I want to destroy something, it must be in a game and I must have the ability to "save" before hand, so that things aren't really gone ^_^;;

call me strange I suppose...

Archived