Skyrim and Steam...

Jackal2233

So If you dont work for Valve or a game Publisher or have no other clear Benefit from Steam and consider yourself a normal Gamer please help me "Get it" because it just makes no sense at all.

It doesn't make sense because there's no sense to it. This must be the millionth thread created by people who want other people to stop complaining about steam... if only I could tap into their brains to understand - oh wait, I know...

*puts fanboy hat on*

*drain logic 500 pts on self, constant effect*

omg omg omg!! this game is the bestest game ever made and everybody must bow in adoration!! goty all the way!! and steam is amazing because origin sucks!!

*throws fanboy hat away*

Edited by Einarth

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(*^&*&^%^&% STEAM!!! It wont let me play, its been 20 minutes now trying to get it load, I just get the preparing to launch screen, I have done everything reloaded, turned computer off and on again, my internet is fine full signal so it must be problem with Steam!

I have limited time to play so am NOT happy! I don't want this crap, I just want to play the damn game, can't they just keep it simple like put a CD in press play game, I feel like I am relying on a unpredictable server, this isn't fair as its not an online game!!!

...rant off

phew feel better now. Game still not working though :wallbash:

The person with car and security guard summed it up pretty well.

Nope he didn't .. he just summed up that he doesn't like steam, with a pretty bad analogy (Or does Steam block multiplayer?) blowing several things out of proportion, nothing more.

Does Steam drain resources? Yes ... at a magnitude that I don't care about

Does Steam constantly look over my shoulder? Nope ... I don't know what you have but to me it seems Steam is looking if you are logged in once and then only complains that it can't synchronize Steam Cloud, as long as I don't quit steam I can start any game I want(and tried till now) I can remember using Skyrim on the train without going into offline mode and constantly starting and stopping it as I was debugging some stuff ... no problem at all

Yes sometimes the servers are busy etc. but the time I saved with not going to some shop and hoping that it is there, as well as having the security that my DVDs aren't just going to get damaged so I can't continue playing is in my opinion well worth it.

If you like Steam and have no problem with it whatsoever... Good for you, but just because you don't like freedom and having control over your own computer, don't go flashing it around :tongue:

If you hate Steam and have problems with it whatsoever... Good for you, but just because you like shuffling around with DVDs, and love praying that none of your DVDs is damaged, don't go flashing it around :tongue:

Everything has its pros and cons and the only reason I am replying to this is because in every third thread(that is more then 2 sides long) where it is about anything remotely related to update, patch, moding, CK or anything technical you can read something to the extend of "Steam sucks", "Steam is going to steal and sell our mods", "Steam is ruining everything". None of us is going to change anything about it, but it seems it is good to rant about it every now and then, so I am not directly here to defend Steam (although I am obviously doing that too, because people ranting about it are starting to annoy me).

So in essence I am ranting about other people ranting constantly about things they can't change ... and yep I know that is ironic/borderline stupid, but I am human and no one is paying me to be logical.

So rant over, back to being normal.

Edited by Roltak

Nope he didn't .. he just summed up that he doesn't like steam, with a pretty bad analogy (Or does Steam block multiplayer?) blowing several things out of proportion, nothing more.

Does Steam constantly look over my shoulder? Nope ... I don't know what you have but to me it seems Steam is looking if you are logged in once and then only complains that it can't synchronize Steam Cloud, as long as I don't quit steam I can start any game I want(and tried till now) I can remember using Skyrim on the train without going into offline mode and constantly starting and stopping it as I was debugging some stuff ... no problem at all

Yes sometimes the servers are busy etc. but the time I saved with not going to some shop and hoping that it is there, as well as having the security that my DVDs aren't just going to get damaged so I can't continue playing is in my opinion well worth it.

If you like Steam and have no problem with it whatsoever... Good for you, but just because you don't like freedom and having control over your own computer, don't go flashing it around :tongue:

If you hate Steam and have problems with it whatsoever... Good for you, but just because you like shuffling around with DVDs, and love praying that none of your DVDs is damaged, don't go flashing it around :tongue:

Everything has its pros and cons and the only reason I am replying to this is because in every third thread(that is more then 2 sides long) where it is about anything remotely related to update, patch, moding, CK or anything technical you can read something to the extend of "Steam sucks", "Steam is going to steal and sell our mods", "Steam is ruining everything". None of us is going to change anything about it, but it seems it is good to rant about it every now and then, so I am not directly here to defend Steam (although I am obviously doing that too, because people ranting about it are starting to annoy me).

So in essence I am ranting about other people ranting constantly about things they can't change ... and yep I know that is ironic/borderline stupid, but I am human and no one is paying me to be logical.

Wow this one didn't put fanboy hat on like Einarth said, he put the Master Hat of Fanboy Storms (drain logic 3000 pts on self, constant effect) :facepalm:

And also there's Arcadiast's point, why do you defend steam? You don't work in Valve, and you are not a publisher, theres nothing good coming out of it for you so I mean, why?

None of us is going to change anything about it

It is pretty obvious that you are not gonna change it but we at least like to try.

although I am obviously doing that too, because people ranting about it are starting to annoy me

you want people to stop complaining (there is a fine line between rant and complaint my friend) because you are annoyed? show me your license as god and I will do so!

I think you haven't even read the EULA (I know. "I agree" but sometimes, you might get amazed to what are you agreeing). ... Or been to a shop for that matter.

It drains system resources, not very drastic, but then again, leeches won't bleed you to death either and people tend to not carry them around forever. As I noted, some people like to have control over their computer

And things people can't change? Seriously? This isn't about hunger in third world countries, this is about Steam.

Yes, everything has pros and cons, but the only way you can find Steam to be good is either by being very naive / ignorant or rather dedicated big-time customer. I can see the positive side when you have 50+ games there and 3+ computers.

Otherwise it's just like any other malware. Quite precisely.

And the mods, we'll see about that, I sure hope that all the theories are just paranoia kicking in. Bethesda tends to rape people (even tho not intentionaly, perhaps), but that would be just a bit over the edge.

Edited by elvinkun

Counterquestion, what do you get out of complaining? The same as me: Nothing(except for feeling better perhaps), so glass house and everything.

And now I know what I missed in my post, senseless insulting of the other part involved in a discussion, because his views differ from my own, without adressing any of his points, thanks for teaching me how to lead a proper and adult discussion, I will make sure ot work that in the next time.

And to reiterate my point, Steam is not perfect, Steam is not the answer to all our problems, but steam is depending on your priorities good or bad, it just starts to annoy me how anti-fanboys(The exact opposite of fanboy, the thing/firm/person/whatever could heal every disease on earth and they would still complain) rant about it whenever the topic comes anywhere close to it.

@Arcadiast:

Well you are going to on a third party website, that is in no way attached to Steam or has any authority? And if you want, rename it from rant to complain or whatever you want. And well I never said that I forbid anyone from complaining, that would be rather hypocritical I am simply using my own right to complain about a situation that is annoying me or do not have that right out of some reason.

@elvinkun:

I have read them at least to some extent, I know about the part where they don't guarantee service, can revoke my right to play etc. I am going to take the risk of them suddenly deciding, that they have enough money and will just shut down their service.

but the only way you can find Steam to be good is either by being very naive / ignorant or rather dedicated big-time customer

Once again, opinion, simple as that, you have yours I have mine, none is more correct then the other. I am trading usability, fast delivery of games, ability to deinstall and reinstall them without the hassle of DVDs, an ingame chat etc. for some system resources. You don't need to have the same opinion and decisions as mine.

Edited by Roltak

Counterquestion, what do you get out of complaining? The same as me: Nothing(except for feeling better perhaps), so glass house and everything.

And now I know what I missed in my post, senseless insulting of the other part involved in a discussion, because his views differ from my own, without adressing any of his points, thanks for teaching me how to lead a proper and adult discussion, I will make sure ot work that in the next time.

And to reiterate my point, Steam is not perfect, Steam is not the answer to all our problems, but steam is depending on your priorities good or bad, it just starts to annoy me how anti-fanboys(The exact opposite of fanboy, the thing/firm/person/whatever could heal every disease on earth and they would still complain) rant about it whenever the topic comes anywhere close to it.

If you complain about "bad" things, they may eventually get changed, or, at the very least won't be forgotten (sorry for stating the awfully obvious, but you asked). Of course, that doesn't apply on you, since complaining about people complainig is sort of... good only for trying to make people angry, which is what I suspect you are trying to do. I'm sorry if that's not the case, but let's face it, right now, you look like one of those people who like to make a fire burn brighter.

Edit: For the new respose... Well, there is a opinion and then there is a nonsense. You actually haven't really stated anything, you are just going after what others said. Let's not go there tho. But I'll bite. Tell me some nice pros of Steam for person who has one computer for games and has only Skyrim, or just a few games. You can buy it without actually going in a shop. That's pro,I guess...

And yes, service termination without paying back at any time, terminating account at any time for any reason, also scanning your computer and sending out selected information...And so much more. It actually bacame more funny recently, since many people on Steam attack the "EA Steam" without really noticing Steam has the same EULA with a little bit different wording.

Edited by elvinkun

A moderator from another forum summed it up brilliantly:"Skyrim is like a car, and Steam is a 5'8" 350lb security guard that sits in the back seat making sure that you don't drive anywhere you aren't supposed to and checks your drivers license and registration every time you get into the car to make sure you didn't steal it. He also occupies the entire back seat so you can't take your friends anywhere, and his extra 350 lbs causes your gas mileage to drop like a rock. Oh.. and he doesn't contribute ANYTHING to the reason why you bought the car in the first place, and he's certainly not in the car to protect YOU (the dealership that sold you the car will, in fact, argue that you never purchased the car, are merely leasing it, and the fat security guard is there to ensure your compliance with the terms of the lease)."Steam contributes NOTHING. NOTHING. Instead it just slows down everything, and is a royal pain in the arse. Steam is a parasite that needs eradicating fast, but unfortunately it is also a parasite that pays developers to force customers into installing its crap.

love that :)

he missed one thing though, that fat useless security guard won't prevent that car from getting stolen right off the lot...he ends up bound, blind-folded, gagged and tossed in the trunk by thieves who never have to deal with him again. while people who actually bought the car have to deal with everything quoted.

The fat useless security guard will sometimes not even let you drive your car! and will make you late by 30minutes while it fafs around trying to prepare your car for launch!