The WORST Game Ever

thekid345

World In Conflict: Superb game, very enjoyable and fairly fresh when it came out. BUT GOD DAMMIT IT DESTROYS YOUR COMPUTER!!! WIC, for reasons unknown, renders it's well-acted and believable cutscenes IN-ENGINE! Which means damnation upon thy computer, because this RTS is usualy viewed from half a mile up. The level of detail is insane, but this simple decision to render everything in-engine, and the insane overdetail this creates, combined with the enormous battles, causes truly monolithic system reqs, even with a brand new PC that is more powerful than any mainstream rig from WIC's era, it;s still punishingly GPU-heavy.

WIC would be a masterpiece, but because of the simple but idiotic decision to render an RTS's cutscenes in-engine and thus turning each of the hundreds of soldiers into a photorealistic model complete with facial animations, renders it as one of the most savagely tech-heavy games ever created, ensuring very few can ever see the true potential for it's graphics, which are... moderate on max settings. Still, a very good game on gameplay merits, fantabulously long, and with one of the best storylines I've seen in an FPS, in that not only does it have one, but it actualy makes you like and agknowledge some of the guys on the ground. Like Bannon, who you hate all the way through, until he starts acting like a bloody hero and you realise you'll miss his sorry ass.

DC Universe Online.

What?! I hear you say. Well, hey, it could have been an utter masterpiece, but gods above SOE made it into the most boring, repulsive, slow, and unenjoyable MMO I've ever played, and I've played a lot of them. In EVE Online you're essentialy whipped constantly by savage dificulty. They say the dificulty and learning curve in EVE is actualy so far beyond vertical that it's act doubling back on itself. And yet it's absolutely addictive, and genuinely enjoyable when you finaly break through and become rich enough to regularly PVP. And when you get your own corp, it's awesome. EVE is my benchmark for taking a bad formula and doing it so well thtat you create a masterpiece.

DC is my benchmark now for taking a great idea and turning it into the worst MMO in the past two years. This may sound racist, but I've really got something against the tide of primarily Korean, and occasionaly Chinese MMOs coming out right now. They're extremely generic, for the most part I can't tell one from another, and the other thing is that the communities are aweful, worst of all, they're racist, because non-korean customers usualy have to pay triple, and while I'm sure theres a good reason for that, it's still racist. DC ticks all the afforementioned boxes.

Australians pay double subscriptions for starters, which pisses me off, thankfully I quit before my free month ran out(still levelcapped though) With Japanese players paying a fair bit less, after the initial pricegouge is revealed to you, you realise you were a fool to think this would ever compete with even Champions Online(which feels like a bloody opus after this) Truly abysmal animations. Incredibly limited customisations(no face customisation or body morphing at all) and incredibly bad controls both on console and PC inputs(and no XBOX-360 remote support) But even that isnt the worst part. The worst part is the combat. The powers are lousy, they're boring, and many are simply broken, such as Knives being able to land melee hits from more than a mile away. Combat as many ranged classes simply involved holding down the right mouse button until the enemy drops,

There is no need or desire to use special powers, and if you do you'll soon find the incredibly dull and spammy, just spam all over his face until he drops. In Champions Online you did have one thing that was done truly right: physics-slam your giant paw into an enemy and he'd go FLYING with a satisfying sense of POW! and a great WHACK! sound effect that makes anyone who watched comics as a kid(such as me, I <3 Batman/Spiderman) and even the movement powers felt great, with Jetboots feeling like a truly bad idea every launch(and sending you a terrific way up), and Superspeed actualy making you able to outrun cars in the street with ease. The Munitions powers were also done with respect, instead of DC's "haha, you use a gun!" mentality, CO instead honours characters like Deadpool by giving the guns some serious punch, provided you've got the time to invest in the serious firepower.

DC does none of that. Munitions is unplayably weak, bullets actualy seem to bounce off people here, and you'll often spend in excess of a minute bounding .50 cal into an enemy even if he's 10 levels below you. Other powers are handled even worse, with melee having infinite reach(I punched a man on the ground from the top of a Gotham skyscraper once) But still, DC's biggest failure is that the powers all do such little damage. In CO you really felt, well, super ofcourse! Even energy gathering powers did respectable damage on a specced up character, and specced up I could fight bosses solo with my truly EPIC level 40 Munitions/Angelic Ultramarines Space Marine Captain.

In DC, it takes usualy about a minute to kill even a single henchmen, they take stupendous amounts of damage, usualy three full mags of bullets, 30+ arrows, or several whole beams/incantations. It makes combat a chore, simply standing stock still, bashing a guy with exactyly the same animation again and again for upwards of a minute, you feel more like you;re Mining in WOW than fighting.

And finaly the quests put the last nail in the coffins,.There's literaly no variety, it's ALL Kill-X-Of-Y, and they take ages because of the fettered combat,. worse, they require sometimes 50 or more kills, which takes over an hour. Just get Champions Online, it's an unreliable jerk to try and run, but it's free to play and way, way more fun, Just make sure you play with friends and don't take it too seriously, it's a game to play as shenanigens.

Sig related, it's a truly epic Ultramarines Space Marine Captain. :)

Edited by Vindekarr

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right , I don't see much point in kicking the obvious/weak so I'm gonna go for the games that let me down more than any other.

The dreaded number fives - I speak of Resident Evil 5 and Silent Hill 5.

I have been a fan of Resident Evil since I first say the 2nd one. I went out and brought every console I own just to play on that series (including the Dreamcast and Gamecube) but Number 5 is such an appaling let down I can't even put in into words (at least not on the Nexus).

I loved the rest, no probs with them (literally every one is a materpiece in my opinion apart from the FPS variants) but number 5 replaces all of the search/explore/loot/atmostphere aspects I loved about the game and replaces them over and over with scenes where you just have to hit exactly the right button at the right time and bang, youre either dead or you killed a boss or avoided a rock. I can't stand that gameplay. Can't stand it sooooo freaking much aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrgghhhhh. I gave up on RE5 when I had to confront a well-known boss (familiar to those of you who know the series) and the only way to beat him was to wait for 7 minutes until HE gets bored and leaves (according to online walkthroughs). What a joke.

Silinet Hill is another series I enjoyed greatly - The first having possibly the most intriguing plot and landscape of any game I have played. Silent Hill 5 I barely even made a dent in. It was so linear that exploration was not an issue. Rooms were bland, undecorated and way too under-cluttered. No access to early firearms was a ridiculous gameplay decision in my opionion (evil if SH has been sliding down this path for a while) and enemies seen to have all the advantages (can attack from anywhere/resurrect etc...). The melee combat felt clunky and I spent a few hours just running around the same corridors killing the same enemies and having about as much fun as I would slowly testing the sharpness of various kitchen utensils against my face.

I hate these games so much I wan't to find out who is responsible for making all these horrible gameplay decisions and fight them all at the same time in a big ring. I'm sure through blind anger alone I could take out a dozen.

Just how bad is Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing? It's as bad as your mind will allow you to comprehend.

that is the funniest thing i have read all day.

also worst game i have ever played Farcry 2, i'll give the PC version the benefit of doubt because of (possible) mods. but on the Xbox 360 it sucked.

If any worst game is to be listed for me, it'd be the very first Zelda game for NES. Like you only get to slash your sword up in front horizontally, and you only have to move up and down, left and right, and enemies might even top you off guard. But since the released Zelda games like TP, WW, OOT, and MM, they were ok. A bit easier too. At least the 3D Zelda games are not all that bad, but the very first one sucked! That's my opinion about what I think about the very first one.

Well remember, it was an NES game...