Qwinn´s Ultimate DAO Fixpack v3 (no longer beta!)

Katzapult

Also, taking suggestions for what I should call this mod. "Qwinn's Unofficial Fixpack" doesn't seem sufficient anymore, since it's also a Restoration pack now, and "Unofficial" doesn't confer any useful info. I'm thinking of renaming it "Qwinn's Ultimate Fix and Restoration Pack".. The "Ultimate" doing triple duty in 1) signyfing that it's compatible/developed on the Ultimate edition of the game, 2) It's really, really comprehensive, and 3) it harkens back and does homage to my Planescape fixpack, which was also called "Qwinn's Ultimate" back before they took my name off it, heh.

I think the name you suggested is good, a bit long, but descriptive. Only dilemma is whether to include "3.0" at the end... Can't wait 6pm. Kudos

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not releasing at 6pm, just locking down the fixlist so that the readme I need to put together stops being a moving target. That will likely take a few days, and I won't be able to work on it Saturday thru Tuesday. OTOH after Tuesday I will have the rest of the week off, so I'll almost certainly have time to release it next week if I can't get it done by Friday.

And Thandal, you know how limited I am on the DLC stuff. To do that properly, I'll need a contact at Bioware, someone who says, wow, we should hire this guy to fix our gamez! I wonder if I know anyone with contacts there who could get that ball rolling... :P :)

@qwinn; Hey! I already offered to get you all the DAO DLC. And I'll be showcasing your work to some EA staff and bigwigs at the EA Play event in Hollywood next month. Dunno what else I can do on that front! :wink:

Just that I wouldn't call it "ultimate" anything until you feel it covers everything in the "Ultimate Edition".

But it's your mod, so your call. I'll gladly use it upon release, regardless of the name. :thumbsup:

Just "fixpack" or "restoration pack" doesn't describe what it does. If anything, they imply rule fixes, which is misleading. Mod titles should always be informative. Since this is about fixing conversations/ dialog/ banter, I'd include that in the title, something like "Qwinn's comprehensive conversation fixpack" or "Qwinn's ultimate dialog pack"... something like that. People should know from the title EXACTLY what it does.

Well, it's not just dialog fixes. There's tons of scripting and inventory fixes. For example, fixing losing all your inventory if you put the disguise on in Captured! before opening the chest, or not getting your party inventory back if you leave Fort Drakon without opening the chest - that ain't dialog. I don't fix combat rules, it's true, but I fix pretty much everything else. Calling it just a dialog patch would be less accurate than saying it fixes everything, IMO.

I will make it very clear early on in the readme what I do and don't address, don't worry.

Edited by Qwinn

Thandal, that's fantastic, thank you!

So, I'm considering the fixlist locked down and am going to start working on organizing the (huge, vast, overwhelming) readme. The version that I have where I document exactly how I do each fix (which won't be released right away - going to wait a couple of months so any mistakes I've made can get reported and sorted out) - is a 501k text file. The text file where I document which files I've altered - just the filenames, nothing else - is 15k.

EDIT: Ugh. ONE more. I went through the readme and found all the "TODO"'s I'd set for myself, and all of 'em were done except one: Fixing a trap or two in Jarvia's hideout. Those fixes are a time consuming pain in the ass, will probably take half the night, so you all have another hour or three to get a report in!

(And oh yes, multiple trap fixes - also not dialogue!)

Oh, and nixing the facial expression change to "If I am, tis because you make me so." (in response to your calling her insane) line in Morrigan's dialogue. I just heard how the line is spoken, and it's not angry at all.

EDIT 2: All right, I give up on the Jarvia traps. The geometry in there is bizarre. With the exception of the front center wire trap, the other 4 wire traps simply can't be detected from the front of the room, even if I move them around or raise them anything less than several feet in the air (which is obviously unacceptable). From the very back of the room, you can detect them all easily - but even if I move a trap like 6 feet toward the back, so that you can easily be at the very top of the stairs and in front of the wire, you still can't see it until you get on the other side of it. Tried spinning the wires around, in case they have a perceptible "side", but nope, didn't make a difference. As I can't change the geometry of the room, we're just going to have to chalk this up to Jarvia being *really* good at hiding her traps. Sorry guys.

Moving on to the readme for real.

Edited by Qwinn

OH! If anyone is still interested in helping (and getting credit, of course) there are some areas you can work on that I *will* make time to add to the Fixpack, because it won't interfere with my current readme work: the City Elf, Dwarven Noble and Dwarven Commoner Origins. The only testing I did on those was 6 years ago and I didn't find anything of note back then, but obviously I wasn't being as thorough back then either. I'm a bit too worn out to go through them though without something specific to go on. If any of you can find or are aware of any bugs in them that can be reproduced (I think some of the ones listed in the Wiki are non-reproducible, if memory serves),, I will definitely get them into the fixpack. As it is, only the Human Noble, Mage and Dalish Elf origins have any fixes in them.

And if anyone's hungry for a taste of the readme, here's the Interparty Banters section:

IB000: INTERPARTY BANTERS

IB001: Interparty Banters: Restored 7 completely broken Alistair-Zevran banters and four Oghren-Shale banters.

IB002: Interparty Banters: Restored 3 previously inaccessible banters between Morrigan and Wynne.

IB003: Interparty Banters: Restored a previously inaccessible banter between Morrigan and Alistair if he breaks up with the player after the Landsmeet.

IB004: Interparty Banters: Restored a previously inaccessible and very amusing banter between Zevran and a hardened Leliana.

IB005. Interparty Banters: Restored two previously inaccessible romance triangle banters between Leliana and Morrigan if one forces you to break up with the other and the one you stayed with is in love.

IB006: Interparty Banters: Alistair will no longer ask Leliana what a woman could see in Zevran if the Warden romancing Zevran is a man.

IB007: Interparty Banters: A banter between Morrigan and Sten will no longer trigger repeatedly.

IB008: Interparty Banters: Leliana will no longer congratulate Morrigan about Morrigan being in love with the PC if Leliana is also romancing the PC.

IB009: Interparty Banters: (v2.0) Oghren will no longer tease Alistair about having sex if he never has (after which he'd then tease him for never having had it).

IB010: Interparty Banters: (v2.0) Zevran will no longer tease Leliana about not having sex if she recently has.

IB011: Interparty Banters: (v2.0) Shale will no longer ask Oghren "Would the drunken dwarf have saved its former wife if it could?" if his wife survived.

IB012: Interparty Banters: (v2.0) Based on comments in the dialogue file, Shale can say to Morrigan, "The swamp witch desires something from it (the Warden)." any time a romance is active with Morrigan, not just once the player has sex with Morrigan.

IB013: Interparty Banters: (v2.0) Leliana will no longer talk about overhearing Morrigan and the PC having sex if that has never happened.

IB014: Interparty Banters: (v2.0) A banter between Sten and Alistair ("Draw your weapon.") that only occurred if the player was in a romance with Alistair has been opened up so that it can now occur any time after two major plot quests are completed, as the banter has nothing to do with the PC or romance.

IB015: Interparty Banters: (v2.0) The banter between Shale and Morrigan where Shale claims to have "no history" will no longer appear after Shale's history has been confirmed through a personal quest.

Edited by Qwinn

BTW, as a side note: I'm not going to try to apply the fixes I made to the reward notification for the 3 main side quest board groups to the Lothering Chanter board. For one, there's only 2 quests that can be turned in simultaneously (the bears and the keepsake), so the upside to fixing it is minimal. And second, unlike all the other chanter, blackstone irregular and mage quests, the Lothering Chanter board places proper plot assist markers (the fat "V") on the Chanter to indicate he has a reward for you, The other board quest groups I fixed just use an exclamation point marker to indicate they have a reward. The two mechanics are completely different, and using proper plot flags makes attempting to cash in one at a time very problematic (because if both quests are ready to turn in, cashing only one in will remove the marker, even if the other quest hasn't been cashed in. I'd have to remove all the current plot marker flags and re-implement the whole exclamation point thing to fix it for the chanter guy's two quests - no. Just no. So - sorry, can't do it for the Rogue board in Denerim or in Lothering - but that's a trivial number of quests compared to the 3 bigger groups which I did fix.