⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Qwinn´s Ultimate DAO Fixpack v3 (no longer beta!)

Katzapult

Ok, good news, the resurrection thing didn't work but the solution I came up with finally did and works quite smoothly without much tinkering required (amazingly I didn't even have to touch King Endrin's dialogue where the treachery dialogue takes place). So no more bloody, headless and disappearing guards running around the dialogue DN016 is officially done and tested and I can move on.

DN016: Ruined Thaig: In the dialogue and cutscenes where you are found next to Trian, the two guards are actually Trian's guards, which you may well have just killed. If so, the guards would usually be bloody, sometimes be headless, and frequently fade away right in the middle of the dialogue.

Bad news - STILL can't duplicate the Gorim cell glitch. Tried it at least a hundred times now.

TotalBalance, tell me this - if you get to the prison, save the game as soon as the area loads, can you load that game and still get it to happen? Cause if I have to run through the entire Trian-fight treachery-dialogue thing every time I want to try it, that's gonna multiply the time it'll take for me to keep poking at it by around 30.

I'm wondering if the problem may be caused by a slower computer having trouble doing his pathing toward that waypoint correctly if you're keeping the processor busy with the running around you mentioned. Any drop in FPS when this is happening? It's pretty much impossible for me to put a strain on the computer I'm working on, it's a monster (which I bought with the money I got for my PS:T mods).

Also, any chance you're running any mods?

Thanks tons for your help, btw.

Edited by Qwinn

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right, barring more information that would help me duplicate that bug, I'm done with the Dwarf Noble origin. For the next 4 days, I'll be working on finishing the readme (I'd guess I'm about two thirds done - mainly just Orzammar and the romanceable followers to sort through, but those are by far the biggest) and, hopefully, a weekend release.

So strange, just tried a bunch more times and nothing.

What version are you running? I'm running Steam Ultimate Edition, which I believe is 1.05 (though there's no good way I know of to check that).

How are you controlling movement and aiming camera? I tend to be a keyboard guy. I usually use the AWSD keys for moving around, though I did try it by right clicking the mouse as well, no difference. Are you clicking with the mouse on anything while doing this? Because I'm not. Also, is Gorim delivering his "Of course. Leave us alone, will you please?" line when he fails to get to the door? What's the guard's behavior?

Edited by Qwinn

Hmmm, just found something. Gorim does have a script file, and in it are a bunch of really ugly scripts designed to handle his movement toward the prison. But they're all commented out, no longer used, and the actual movement and dialogue is handled in the area script now. I can't find any flaw in the way the area file does it, but the way the original gorim script did it, yeah, it's so kludgy I could definitely see the old way failing. I'm starting to think we may be dealing with different versions of the game here, and Bioware actually got around to fixing this on the version I'm running?

If you have the toolset installed, check out bdn120pt_gorim.nss, and see if all the case statements dealing with JAIL or PRISON are commented out.

Note that this whole mod was done on the Ultimate edition. Any other version, I'm afraid there might be lots of breakages.

Edited by Qwinn

Well I was bored and decided to try the Dwarf Noble Origin to see if it happened to me. It did. I tried it a bunch of times, reloading from within the cell and just before entering it. It wasn't consistent at all however. While I never had trouble clicking on him, he definitely appeared in different places. I tried just standing in the middle of the cell, against the door, in the corners, looking out with the camera down the hallway, never was consistent. He did correctly walk up to the cell a few times, but it never seemed to be in the exactly same location really.

The guard walked away after saying his line, Gorim said that line you mentioned, but also a "my lady" after another second as well. I was a female dwarf however and did pick the romance type options with him.

I'm using the steam version as well, though my computer is quite old at this point (like almost 10 years?), but it was running fine with top graphic settings. Also no mods, disabled them all.

Well I decided to try it again just after writing all of that (and before posting) because I just thought about seeing how the guard moved outside the cell, so I moved the camera to watch. When the guard turns around to walk back, most the time he seems to collide with Gorim upsetting his straight path, and then he can end up in random places (the guard end up in different places too in this case). If they don't collide he walks right up to the cell perfectly.

Oh I also noticed something odd as well while running though the ruined thaig on the way back after getting the shield. Part way through it, a conversation between Gorim and the player starts up, with the scout asking what they are talking about. After that conversation ends, I hear a bunch of voices do their death cries. Tried it a few times with different conversation options, still happened.

Edited by Maeassel

Thanks Maeassel!

"After that conversation ends, I hear a bunch of voices do their death cries. Tried it a few times with different conversation options, still happened."

That would be Trian and his men getting whacked by Bhelen because you didn't agree to kill him yourself.

When you say you're running the Steam version, you sure you're running the Ultimate edition? Because Steam also sells DA:O separately. You'd think they're the same, but who knows...

As for the guard colliding with Gorim on his way back, I initially thought that might be what was causing it, but I've never had it happen. The guard and Gorim take the exact same path every single time, and Gorim lands at the same spot every single time. It really shouldn't happen if the area file is the one doing the work. Also don't see how the player's position could affect that. As I said, though, I can *definitely* see it happen if the old scripts in gorim's file are running.

Just to be safe, I will export Gorim's script and the area script. Even though I don't make any changes to them, if some versions have the old scripts operative, those two files alone are probably all that's needed to make it work. The only other possible file that might be involved would be the prison area file, if they moved the waypoints around.

That said - if you guys do actually have an older version somehow, then I'm quite nervous that you'll run into other problems installing my fixpack over it. I mean, I could probably address them by exporting the related scripts into my fixpack, but there's no way I could know to do that unless you guys report it to me.

Hell, I've got half a mind to buy the non-Ultimate DA:O and run through just to see what happens. I suspect I'd have major issues trying to get the toolset working with two different installs on the same machine though.

Edited by Qwinn

That would be Trian and his men getting whacked by Bhelen because you didn't agree to kill him yourself.

Well that is a facepalm moment for me there -_-' Seems so obvious now that you have pointed it out.

It is the ultimate edition. I also don't think it has anything to do with where you are standing. Since I can get different results from not moving at all, camera or player.

Edited by Maeassel

Thanks for the update. So it's NOT a version issue. I'm totally stumped then.

BTW, the "My lady" is to be expected. I get "My lord" as he gets close to the cell.

So how exactly does the guard run into Gorim? In my game, they are both walking perfectly parallel to each other, and when the guard turns around, he spins on a dime and walks back, never gets in Gorim's way. In your game, is he stepping out of the straight line of his original path? His turn around is in a big circle?

And don't feel bad about the Trian-getting-whacked thing being obvious. I had to check the script that runs at the end of that conversation to confirm it.

EDIT: Reviewed the old commented-out Gorim script and am positive it wouldn't have worked now - I see where the guard would not walk back correctly. That script shouldn't be active for you guys, though, if you're on the same version as me. Very frustrating.

Edited by Qwinn

Hey Qwinn! It's so great to see some old faces coming back :smile: You're a household name in a significant number of DAO players (PC users).

I have a couple of bug suggestions for your 3.0 version. To be more specific:

1) Some of the bugs I'd like to propose are addressed in other mods, however some of these mods go farther than that and implement changes which are not strictly bug-fixing, but correspond more closely to personal tastes. Thus, we avoid sharing them in Dragon Age Wiki.

2) Awakening bugs. I read in the first pages that you cannot do Awakening -- then I jumped to page 74 so I am not sure if you found a way to solve that (there are a couple of bug-solving mods for Awakening already).

3) Do you have a changelog somewhere? So that I won't propose bug fixes which you have addressed already. (ie. unless you don't mind reading about bugs which you have already fixed or you are already aware of)

And finally, I have two questions.

- Is your 3.0 version going to be purely bug-fixing or not? I'd love to share your mod all over DA wiki's pages (the wiki receives 100k views per day).
- Do we have an ETA on its release?

Keep up the great work!

~Viktoria

Edited by ViktoriaLanders